• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Long- Thought Miami was Crazy for passing on him
    Vernon Gholston- Thought he would have a Shawn Merriman impact
    Chris Johnson- Thought Titans drafted another Chris Henry

Gaines Adams- Thought that he could have a Simeon Rice impact on the Bucs
    Adrian Peterson- Thought he would not last with his past injury problems and the way he ran the ball
    Adam Carriker- Thought he would be one of the Better DL in the NFL
    Brady Quinn- Thought the Browns finally got their QB situation fixed

AJ Hawk- Thought he would be a beast in the NFL
    Michael Huff - Thought he would have a Ed Reed impact on Defense
    Jonathan Joseph- Thought the Bengals Drafted him purely on his speed

RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      When evaluating prospects, my preferences have changed over the years too. I put more emphasis on measurables now than I did in the past.

I used to be all about the overachievers. Now I rather reach for an athlete.

For example, the guys Ive loved as middle round prospects in the past 2 drafts: Michael Johnson, Geno Atkins, Greg Hardy, Clint Ingram, Mike Wallace, Jimmy Graham, all these guys have great measurables.
      Im the same. I put much more emphasis on pure athleticism than I used to.
      PS Michael Johnson was such a steal in the third round. I couldn't believe that he dropped that far. I had him going to Tampa in the first that year up until the day of the draft. Refused to believe he could slip that far.

Comment

BBD, you talked about liking overachievers over measurable guys in the past. For example: you liked Mercedes Lewis more, as did a lot of people on this forum than Vernon Davis. It took a while, a change in offensive scheme and a good tongue lashing from Mike Singletary, but now Vernon Davis is everything he was hyped to be.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          He starts the list for me, I'm typically not wrong about the 1 or 2 Longhorn prospects I like each year. I don't hype up a ton of Longhorns each year, last year it was Earl Thomas & Lamaar Houston, the year before it was Orakpo, before that Jermichael Finley. I was so sure about all of those guys and DJ was no different. Thing is I think he's still talented and when he gets back to playing weakside in a 4-3 he's gonna provide some value, but he looked the part of a very elite LB, and besides how could a guy be a bust when he could cause fumbles that frequently?
          He is still the most talented LB I have ever seen in person, you watch him in practice and he is so athletic it's ridiculous.

I agree about him still be able to turn it around, if he plays weakside in a 4-3 and they just let him roam the field and free lance he can be a playmaker.

DJ, is better off not thinking and just playing off his instinct, if you pigeon hold him and make him think to much he is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post

BBD, you talked about liking overachievers over measurable guys in the past. For example: you liked Mercedes Lewis more, as did a lot of people on this forum than Vernon Davis. It took a while, a change in offensive scheme and a good tongue lashing from Mike Singletary, but now Vernon Davis is everything he was hyped to be.
            Yup, thats a great example. I bet if VD came out this year, I'd like him a lot more than back then. But back then, I hated him as a prospect bc he was short with short arms.

To be fair though, Im still not as high on him as others are. I think his #s go down this year.

Comment

A player that I think people are being a bit too premature about here is Darren McFadden. Injuries have derailed his two seasons, but he has had great performances in small bursts. If he can stay healthy there is still a chance he can be great. Remember he is only entering his third year.

These guys took a little bit to live up to the draft position:

Cedric Benson
              Thomas Jones

Comment

Vernon Gholston: I thought this guy could be like Shawne Merriman
                Give it time and the comparison might come true.

Vince Young: I thought he'd suck
                The jury is still out IMO.

Guys I was wrong on:

AJ Hawk - I thought he'd do more.
                Jay Cutler - There is still time but I thought he'd be a top 8 or 10 QB by now
                Lawrence Maroney - I was mad when the Pats got him but now I'm not
                JaMarcus Russell - I thought he would be great or at least good
                Justin Harrell - The injuries have kept him from doing anything and I guess that's just how it's going to be
                Brady Quinn - I have pretty much given up on him but was still holding out hope until recently.
                Tony Ugoh - what a *****
                Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis I thought they'd both be a lot better a lot faster. Since these two I have stopped expecting rookie DTs and DLmen in general to be good.

Comment

Yup, thats a great example. I bet if VD came out this year, I'd like him a lot more than back then. But back then, I hated him as a prospect bc he was short with short arms.

To be fair though, Im still not as high on him as others are. I think his #s go down this year.

Probably, his touchdown numbers were a little "flukey." I also think that Vernon Davis came out just as the TE position was being revolutionized. Now it is much more acceptable to have a TE/WR hybrid like Davis, Clark, Finley, Gates, etc. and use them almost exclusively in the slot.

Comment

I dont see how anyone could have ever thought Jamarcus Russel would be good.

Comment

I was also wrong about Merriman/Ware. In the draft I thought it was no context, in the first two years in the league I thought it wasn't a contest. Now it is clear that Ware is definitely better.

Comment

Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
                        I dont see how anyone could have ever thought Jamarcus Russel would be good.

His draft profile read almost identically to Ben Roethlisberger. I actually did a blind test that year to see if people could identify which was which. The difference is Ben went to a great organization, with great coaches and great leaders. Jamarcus Russell went to the terrible Raiders, watched his coaches get undercut by the enabler Davis and literally ate himself out of the league.

Comment

My Biggest misses were, in no order...

Brady Quinn: I had him as a for sure Franchise QB... Wow.
                          Jamarcus Russell: I didn't like him as much as Quinn, but thought he would at least a an above average QB. Kill me now
                          DeSean Jackson: Glad I was dead wrong. I didn't want him in the first, was less upset with him being picked in the second. I never anticipated him to be the playmaker he has been.
                          Chris Johnson: I thought the Titans fell for the 40, they did more homework than I apparently.
                          Robert Gallery: It was the first year I truly followed the draft, and I fell for his attitude and demeanor.
                          Matt Ryan: Didn't like him coming out, I had a feeling with him, well **** my instincts.
                          Glenn Dorsey: I thought he'd be a borderline superstar by now. After seeing a truly elite DT prospect in Suh and McCoy in this year's draft, I realize how off I was.

There are more, but I'm having a hard time thinking of good ones right now so I'm going to stop.

I've noticed I've missed more, and a lot worse, on offensive players than defensive players. Anyone else notice they evaluate better on one side of the ball or in certain areas?
                          Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                            His draft profile read almost identically to Ben Roethlisberger. I actually did a blind test that year to see if people could identify which was which. The difference is Ben went to a great organization, with great coaches and great leaders. Jamarcus Russell went to the terrible Raiders, watched his coaches get undercut by the enabler Davis and literally ate himself out of the league.
                            People always blame the Raiders but I really think Jamarcus Russell would have failed no matter where he went, the guy just didn't/doesn't have the drive you need to be great.

Comment

Why is it then that all of these great prospects go to the Raiders and don't develop? Gallery, Huff, Russell, McFadden thus far. It's tough to walk into such a dysfunctional situation and come out unscathed, I don't care who you are. Even though Russell did have work ethic/weight red flags, they were probably exacerbated by the Raiders.

Comment

When my buddy texted me that the Titans picked Chris Johnson, I punched my prom date in her face.
                                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information