Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodell reduces Roethlisberger's suspension to four games

Roger Goodell reduces Ben Roethlisberger's suspension to four games

As expected, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has reduced Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's suspension to four games.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network was the first to report that Goodell reduced the suspension, after Roethlisberger met with Goodell today. The NFL confirmed that the suspension will be four games.

I know he probably did, but come on, what kind of a league is this that suspends a guy for something he didn't even get charged with?

Comment

Yeah, let's suspend Young, Rogers, Mauluga, and Benson now. This is ********.

Comment

Goodell's punishments have nothing to do with the crime itself.

It has everything to do with how much publicity your crime or accusation receives. He's a politician of sorts.

You could do nothing, but get a ton of bad media for it, and he'll lay the hammer down on ya. You could actually commit a crime, and no one will broadcast it much, and he'll sweep it under the rug.

Goodell is all about public perception.

Comment

Exactly. It's negative publicity for the league... that's why he suspends them
          -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Which is BS. The NFLPA needs to really stick up for its players in the new CBA. There is no way that the commissioner should have that kind of authority and discretion. Not only that, but he is the one who the players have to talk to to get an appeal! Judge, Jury, Executioner all in one.

Comment

Yeah it is BS. I do like a lot of things that Goodell does, as I feel he's a very progressive commisioner, but sometimes I do feel he has too much power.

Comment

Being seriously accused of rape and having the judge come out and say he wished he could convict you is a hell of a lot different then punching someone in a bar fight. I'm sorry, but thats an absolutely ******** comparison.
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I do feel Ben did do it, the evidence against him is pretty damning, but I'm just saying in general, Goodell is unfair with his punishments.

Comment

I wouldn't say unfair, but he's erratic. I think he handles each case individually with no regard to precedent, which is unusual to many of us since most justice systems we are familiar with are based on systems that rely heavily on precedent. Regardless, I just think its stupid to compare VY punching someone in a bar, which I guarantee 90% of NFL players have done, to Ben raping some girl and almost being convicted. For me, there is a colossal difference in the nature of both those crimes, and one deserves a suspension and one doesnt.
                    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

If Roethlisberger was doing anything else for a living, he would've been fired.

4 games of 1 season is an extremely light punishment

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                        Which is BS. The NFLPA needs to really stick up for its players in the new CBA. There is no way that the commissioner should have that kind of authority and discretion. Not only that, but he is the one who the players have to talk to to get an appeal! Judge, Jury, Executioner all in one.
                        I said this would happen the second the new personal conduct policy was announced. Every move he makes is 100% dictated by PR and image, logic and precedence are not factors, as I predicted.

Pacman Jones ruined things for the common NFL player and Michael Vick ruined it for the star players.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                          I wouldn't say unfair, but he's erratic. I think he handles each case individually with no regard to precedent, which is unusual to many of us since most justice systems we are familiar with are based on systems that rely heavily on precedent. Regardless, I just think its stupid to compare VY punching someone in a bar, which I guarantee 90% of NFL players have done, to Ben raping some girl and almost being convicted. For me, there is a colossal difference in the nature of both those crimes, and one deserves a suspension and one doesnt.
                          Almost got convicted? He didn't even get charged or arrested.

Not that I agree with the notion that young should be suspended, but to say Ben almost got convicted is just plain wrong.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

The judge in the case was quoted as saying that he wished he could convict Ben, as the evidence was fairly damning. I'll go back and read the actual thread and find the article if I have to, because the actual hangup is eluding me right now, but there was very little doubt as to whether he actually did it. Regardless, the circumstances and the nature of the accusations are a hell of a lot more serious then punching someone in a bar fight, at least if you ask me.

Comment

I agree with Big Ben getting suspended, but I do think it's a little harsh considering he never got charged or arrested. The VY thing is meh, because a bar fight is whatever. But Shaun Rogers, Ray Malauga, and Cedric Benson going on their what, 3rd? offense and yet they get a slap on the wrist? I don't care who the player is. If they get arrested and/or charged, they should get suspended just as much as Ben has. That's where I have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information