No announcement yet.

P.Manning vs M.Vick vs J.Elway..Most talented Prospect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all the talk about Peyton not being able to win the big game prior to the 1998 draft (and I remember it well)... Keep in mind that John Elway never even led Stanford to a bowl appearance. Let me repeat that. John Elway never even led Stanford to a bowl APPEARANCE.

Vick almost won the national championship by himself for VT.

That said, run first QB's just aren't going to win you superbowls, and that's the whole point. Mobility is always nice, but I'll take the statue who can pick apart defenses being a pocket technician over some guy that runs 4.2 40 yard dash and a laser for an arm but can't play the quarterback position the way it's supposed to be played.

I'd like for my QB to be able to scramble and pick up an occassional 4 yards for a 1st down every now and then... but other than that...

Pocket passer >>> scrambler

BTW.. Randall Cunningham was the best dual threat QB I've ever seen.

Comment

Elway almost made it to a bowl game and then all these laterals later... Wasted another late game comeback by Elway

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Elway, pretty easily imo. He was the perfect prospect, ability to throw,as well as run. But his legs still didnt define him as a player like they did with Vick.

Elway was a more complete prospect. He was the guy you would want to build around. He would be an easier player to build around as well, as opposed to building a team around Vick, which imo would be a very tough task. You would have to have specific players with specific skillsets with Vick. A player like Elway you could almost put anyone in there, and he would adjust. With Vick you have to adjust to him.

Im not including Peyton because I dont believe he was the prospect the other 2 were.
        bill belichick quote:
        stats are for losers. the final score is for winners.

"This one's for John" Pat Bowlen

Comment

as others have said Peyton isn't in this conversation.

Although Vick for years has been painted as the ultimate high ceiling pick, a few articles and notes have come out (what's coming to mind is an article from the San Diego Union Tribune that went into why the Chargers passed on Vick, for Ladainian) that show that Vick wasn't entirely untouchable.

There were always accuracy concerns. The fact that he was by definition a slash is IMO a slight concern as well, for injury related reasons.

I won't pretend I was around then but I've done enough reading and watching to understand that Elway was entirely without knocks as a prospect. He gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post
            For all the talk about Peyton not being able to win the big game prior to the 1998 draft (and I remember it well)... Keep in mind that John Elway never even led Stanford to a bowl appearance. Let me repeat that. John Elway never even led Stanford to a bowl APPEARANCE.

Vick almost won the national championship by himself for VT.

That said, run first QB's just aren't going to win you superbowls, and that's the whole point. Mobility is always nice, but I'll take the statue who can pick apart defenses being a pocket technician over some guy that runs 4.2 40 yard dash and a laser for an arm but can't play the quarterback position the way it's supposed to be played.

I'd like for my QB to be able to scramble and pick up an occassional 4 yards for a 1st down every now and then... but other than that...

Pocket passer >>> scrambler

BTW.. Randall Cunningham was the best dual threat QB I've ever seen.
            That Tennessee team was ******* loaded. And Tee Martin led them to the National Title the year after Manning left, which really doesn't help Manning's case.

Comment

How can Peyton not be in this conversation? Maybe if you take the mental aspect out of it, which is silly. We are talking QBs, right. Peyton has ideal height, good arm strength and is obviously very intelligent. I'll take great intelligence over great running ability or elite arm strength any day. Peyton's talents are near perfect for the modern NFL. And he's more mobile than he's often given credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                How can Peyton not be in this conversation? Maybe if you take the mental aspect out of it, which is silly. We are talking QBs, right. Peyton has ideal height, good arm strength and is obviously very intelligent. I'll take great intelligence over great running ability or elite arm strength any day. Peyton's talents are near perfect for the modern NFL. And he's more mobile than he's often given credit for.
                He has Bernie Kosar-like mobility.

Get the **** out of here with that ****

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                  He has Bernie Kosar-like mobility.

Get the **** out of here with that ****
                  Uh oh, a snappy one liner and some e-tough talk. I better leave right now.

Comment

I'll take Eisen over Manning in a foot race.

Comment

Peyton Manning has run for over 700 yards in his career. He averaged 4.1 ypc as a rookie. Many QBs don't even maintain positive rushing yards.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1854366559

Comment

Peyton Manning has run for over 700 yards in his career. He averaged 4.1 ypc as a rookie. Many QBs don't even maintain positive rushing yards.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1854366559
                        yes Peyton is a dangerous option as a QB rusher

Comment

Peyton Manning has run for over 700 yards in his career.
                          I cant tell if you are serious. He has started over 190 games and averages 3.7 yards rushing/game. 3.7 yards! Those kinda numbers dont qualify you as any hint of a rushing threat. It just means that a couple of times a year when plays have broken down there were no defenders on one side of the field and he could shuffle 5 yards before the defense got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Timbathia View Post
                            I cant tell if you are serious. He has started over 190 games and averages 3.7 yards rushing/game. 3.7 yards! Those kinda numbers dont qualify you as any hint of a rushing threat.
                            There's always got to be guys who need things re-explained...

I simply said he's more mobile than many people give him credit for. People often act like he's a statue. Not true. He can move around well enough.

And who cares if he can't run for big yards. He does his damage in the passing game. Why try to run for yards when you can get the ball downfield to pass catchers.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                              That Tennessee team was ******* loaded. And Tee Martin led them to the National Title the year after Manning left, which really doesn't help Manning's case.

I watched Peyton Manning slice up Alabama's defense EVERY year.... it's was extremely frustrating to watch.. but also extremely impressive at the same time. I remember Peyton's first pass against Bama as a sophomore... it was an 80 yard TD to Joey Kent....

The team was even better the year Tee Martin was the quarterback.... I watched Dwayne ****ing Goodrich shut down Peter Warrick in the national championship game...

Im actually friends with several Tennessee fans that I've known for 30 years, and you would THINK that they all love Peyton and appreciate him as one of the best players that have ever played for the Vols... and 90% of Vol fans do..

..but you'd be surprised at the one's that still look at Peyton as the guy that couldn't win the big game for Tennessee...

Comment

There's always got to be guys who need things re-explained...

I simply said he's more mobile than many people give him credit for. People often act like he's a statue. Not true. He can move around well enough.

And who cares if he can't run for big yards. He does his damage in the passing game. Why try to run for yards when you can get the ball downfield to pass catchers.
                                You are right, no-one cares that he cant rush cause he is a great passer. We werent the ones that brought in his "better than credited mobility" when arguing that he should be in the conversation. You pulled out the 700 yards as if it should be factored in. It shouldnt - while he is more mobile than a statue, his mobility does not translate into a rushing threat.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information