No announcement yet.

NFL Network's Top 100 players.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are there any complaints for the top 10 besides peyton manning at #8??

to me its perfectly fine.. besides the above comment (don't agree with peyton at #8, all tho i can see why)... also, was the comment on having more sacks then games played about reggie white or Lawrence Taylor? I forgot, thank you
    Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

• Originally posted by katnip View Post
      are there any complaints for the top 10 besides peyton manning at #8??

to me its perfectly fine.. besides the above comment (don't agree with peyton at #8, all tho i can see why)... also, was the comment on having more sacks then games played about reggie white or Lawrence Taylor? I forgot, thank you
      Other than Peyton Manning I only see one other thing wrong with that list. I'd switch spots with Montana and Taylor.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by elway=goat View Post
        Are you trolling or are you serious? I cant tell..

The fact remains, Manning has had more 1-3 round help than any QB in the modern game, and possibly history and its not close. Manning was destined to be great, but please stop acting like Manning makes everyone around him better, and they would be scrubs without him. The fact is, these were for the most part, all high round picks. Particularly everyone he has thrown the ball to throughout his career. That is a fact.
        What you mean is first round skill position players. Bill Polian's drafting style is to draft WRs and RBs that fit the Colts scheme. The Colts scheme is built entirely around Peyton Manning and 3 WR sets. They ignore other key positions like offensive line and defensive line. They draft offensive linemen in the mid to late rounds. They scheme their way to mediocre line play. Without Peyton picking up blitz packages and checking to hot routes, getting rid of the ball extremely quickly, then they're atrocious. They draft mid round CBs, DTs and LBs and scheme their way to mediocrity on defense. That's who the Colts are. They have tried to build a championship team completely around the QB position. Name another team that has that capability or even attempted that? Name another team that has actually won a Super Bowl with that formula? No other QB has ever been given skill players in exchange for garbage linemen on both sides of the ball. Maybe one day, with how the NFL is changing and evolving to a passing game, defense and good offensive line play wont be as important. Right now, he's faced better more physical teams better suited for the post season. Just look at the teams that won the SB in the 2000s. Defense and a great running game have been crucial. Defensive rankings for SB champions in 00s:

'01 / '03 / '04 Patriots (#24 Ranked, #7 Ranked, #9 Ranked)
        '05 / '08 Steelers (#1 Ranked, #4 Ranked)
        '07 Giants (#7 Ranked)
        '00 Ravens (#2 Ranked)
        '02 Buccaneers (#1 Ranked)
        '06 Colts (#21 Ranked)
        '09 Saints (#25 Ranked)...

Pretty much, a great majority of the time, a top 10 defense is a must. A top 5 defense usually wins. Only 3 teams have won the Super Bowl in the last 30 years with a defense ranked in the 20s. All 3 were in the last 10 years. The Saints last year were ranked 25th. During the 90s, only one team, the 1998 Broncos, were ranked outside the top 10 defensively and won the Super Bowl. They were ranked 11th. TD also ran for 2,000 yards that year. In the 80s the '87 Redskins were ranked 18th and the '80 Raiders were ranked 11th.

The four years Joe Montana won the Super Bowl. He had the 2nd, 10th, 3rd and 4th ranked defenses in the NFL. Peyton Manning has had a top 10 defense twice. Terry Bradshaw, who I actually like but is simply way too high on the list, had these top ranked defenses when he won the Super Bowl: #1, #4, #3 and #2.

These are the defenses Manning has had for his career thus far...

1998 - 29th ranked defense
        1999 - 15th ranked defense
        2000 - 21st ranked defense
        2001 - 29th ranked defense
        2002 - 8th ranked defense
        2003 - 11th ranked defense
        2004 - 29th ranked defense
        2005 - 11th ranked defense
        2006 - 21st ranked defense
        2007 - 3rd ranked defense
        2008 - 11th ranked defense
        2009 - 18th ranked defense

The 2 times they had a top 10 defense they gave up over 400 yards while blowing 4 leads (07) and in the other game they gave up nearly 400 yards (180 rushing) and 41 points (02). Offensively they ran the ball for 52 yards and 44 yards respectively. But let's blame everything on Peyton. The QBs are getting too much credit (in this list) and certain one's (Marino and Manning) are getting too much blame.

Now keep in mind, this is a Pats homer website, however they break things down nicely. Not to turn this into a Brady vs. Manning debate, but I think it is necessary in this case.
        I'm pretty sure you just turned that into a Manning vs Brady debate.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/10/30...peyton-manning

"Manning's quarterback ratings in 1999, 2002, 2003, and 2004 were all the worst rating he had in any game all season. His two best games were the ones in which he threw no interceptions.

If this isnt choking, what is?
        2004? He hardly ever had a QB rating under 100. No **** his QB rating of 69 was going to be the worst the season. His season average was 121. 2004 loss to the Patriots. What did Manning have? 39 rushing yards from James. Brady had 144 yards from Corey Dillon and another 56 yards from Kevin Faulk. The Colts had 0 first downs on the ground. 17 out of their 18 first downs were from passes. The other? Penalty.

210 yards rushing for the Patriots? Well, you can afford to have an average game of 18/27 (66.7%) for 144 yards, 1 TD. That was a bunch of quick, short and easy throws. Peyton has NEVER had that luxury of just turning around and handing the ball off, setting up play action and taking calculated shots. That game, a 20-3 win for NE, pretty much sums up the difference between the two teams.

In the 3rd QT and start of the 4th QT the Patriots had two drivers of 15 plays and 14 plays cover over 8 minutes and over 7 minutes each. If Peyton saw the Colts defense, he would pick them apart. The Patriots were simply a much better team and much better suited for the playoffs. Having a defense with Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green Ty Warren, Teddy Brusci, Mike Vrabel, Willie McGinest, Asante Samuel, Ty Law and Rodney Harrison... can you say stacked? Colts had Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Robert Mathis, Nick Harper and Mike Doss to go along with a vanilla scheme. Talk about an even matchup. To think that these teams, defensively, were even close to one another is a preposterous joke.

2003 was simply a terrible game and Peyton was a big part of that. 4 turnovers is hard to overcome. Poor offensive line play and break downs in pass protection led to a lot of bad decisions on Peyton's part. But, like I've said, Peyton has always taken the spotlight off guys like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne who routinely fail to show up against tough, physical defenses. He deserves a lot of blame. All of it? No. But I'm not going to debate that fact that he played poorly in the playoffs prior to 2003. 2003 he started playing well in the playoffs. He had one terrible game against NE and has been pretty good in the playoffs since 2003. Prior to 2003, I said he was one of the most overrated players in the NFL for the exact reason. Since then he has redeemed himself and has been to 2 Super Bowls, has beaten the Patriots in the playoffs and won a ring. He's still putting up Hall of Fame numbers and collecting MVP trophies.

2002 they got trounced by the Jets. A surprise? Yes, but again, another game where they total about 50 yards rushing compared to 180 given up. If you look at Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne? ******* ghosts. Freezing cold weather against a team more physical and more balanced. That's what wins in the playoffs. It's why the Steelers are so good in the playoffs and why the Colts have to be in a dome to be good in the playoffs. Colts are and have been a soft team, both offensively and defensively, for over the last decade. Very few QBs can overcome that stigma that Pollian has built. He has built a team with soft linemen, soft receivers and soft linebackers. When you get to the playoffs and your line is getting pushed around and your defense is giving up 15 play drives and having the ball run right down their ******* throat... probably not going to fair well in the playoffs.

The Patriots have had better teams to go along with a great QB. I have no issue with Tom Brady. He is easily one of the 5 best QBs of all-time. Individually, which is what this list is supposed to be comprised of, Peyton is better. Football is a team sport. Dan Marino does not deserve blame for never winning a Super Bowl. Would it be better if he had one? Of course, but he never had a great team to do it and it certainly wasn't his fault he never won a Super Bowl.
        Last edited by BigBanger; 11-12-2010, 03:06 AM.
        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
        Originally posted by GoRavens
        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• If Manning is going to get the crown win the team wins, then he has to get the blame when the team loses. You can't blame the team or the organization when Peyton Manning throws a pick six due to him just making a bad decision on the football field. And Manning has had a good defense before that has actually carried him more than the other way around. 2002 was a good example. Or the 2006 playoffs where Manning just did not play well the majority of the postseason. I don't think Peyton himself would hide behind such excuses. He'd probably man up and admit that he didn't play that well and the rest of his team (especially the defense) helped him when he struggled.

Comment

• The thing is though that he is usually the reason the team wins. he leads his team to 10+ wins every time, i doubt no one is gonna argue that its the superb running game or individual performances of the WRs that is carrying this team. Fact is that people are blaming him for not carrying his team more. With Peyton its obvious, that if he doesnt play well, the Colts will lose. The Pats can overcome bad games of their QB, the Steelers can, the Falcons can, the Giants can, because they can either rely on their running game or their defense. The Colts have been Peyton all day. Or would you bet on the team to win if you have only an average game by Peyton? I wouldnt. there is nothing on that team that would make me believe they could carry it when Peyton is having a bad day. That is why people credit him and think the whole "PEYTON IS LOSING OMGZ" is kinda ridiculous to some extent

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
              If Manning is going to get the crown win the team wins, then he has to get the blame when the team loses. You can't blame the team or the organization when Peyton Manning throws a pick six due to him just making a bad decision on the football field. And Manning has had a good defense before that has actually carried him more than the other way around. 2002 was a good example. Or the 2006 playoffs where Manning just did not play well the majority of the postseason. I don't think Peyton himself would hide behind such excuses. He'd probably man up and admit that he didn't play that well and the rest of his team (especially the defense) helped him when he struggled.
              If Peyton threw for 145 yards in a Super Bowl with a QB rating the mid 80s, people would crucify him and say that he was carried by the rushing attack or defense. Oh, wait I guess that's already happened. And he faced the best defense in the NFC that Super Bowl? He puts up 29 points against the 3rd ranked scoring defense, but because he threw an INT and only managed 247 yards, he was carried by the defense. Yeah, give me a ******* break. The defense didn't play like complete dog ****. A surprise? Yes, but they didn't carry him. He actually got help. I consider that a huge difference. For once in his career, Peyton didn't have to throw for 330 yards, 4 TDs and be nearly perfect every game to get a ******* W in the playoffs. I'm sure his career will be tarnished forever. 2009 playoffs, minus one throw, he plays great football, yet he's a choker. It's a joke. The standards are so high for him, higher than Brady or any other QB before him, that he literally has to play the greatest game of his life every single week.

Peyton beat Brady in 2006. They went head-to-head. Somewhere it the stat book elway=goat produced, it failed to say anything like that. Shocking how the tables turn. When Brady throws the ball 40 or 50 times a game, the Patriots lose in the playoffs and he plays poorly. What a shocker. Peyton throws the ball 40 times a game in the playoffs like it's routine. No running game and no defense? And Brady is human? The game completely on the QBs shoulders and Brady has been average in the playoffs? Sometimes loses badly? Loses as much as he wins? No Super Bowls? Wow, what a surprise. When he can turn around and run the ball for 150 yards a game and have a defense that holds a team to less than 17 points... he wins? No ****.

No one wants to talk about Brady in the post season when he wasn't on a team that had a very good running game and top 10 defense. No one wants to bring up those stats. No one wants to talk about the Chargers game in 2006 when he had a QB rating of 57 and 3 INTs. And then to play the Colts and do very little again? 2007 he goes undefeated in the regular season and throws 50 TDs. Playoffs role around and he throws 3 INTs against the Chargers winning only because Rivers had a tore ACL with no LT and an injured Gates. Then he goes to the Super Bowl and people blame the offensive line. Wow, Tom Brady gets pressure and we pass the buck off to someone else. Peyton gets pressure and it's his fault for holding on to the ball. That stat book once again made by Patriots fans blames Asante Samuel for dropping a should-be game ending INT. Blames David Tyree for a miracle. Blames the offensive line. Gives credit to the Giants defense. Brady only managing 14 points? No. Highest scoring offense in NFL history? Everyone else's fault except for Brady. When people want to pick and choose when a QB gets credit then things get slanted. He does very little in the playoffs and he gets credit. He doesn't play well? Well, he's got 3 rings to fall back on. He doesn't deserve all the credit and he doesn't deserve all the blame. A terrible call in 2004 against Oakland gave him a ring the Patriots never deserved to play for. Would it make him any less great? I don't think so. He'd still have 2 rings and 1 SB loss with an undefeated team in the regular season. Pretty ******* great. He's had a lot of luck to win 3 rings.

2009 he had a QB rating below 50. Threw 3 INTs. Joe Flacco threw for 34 ******* yards and beat him. Does anyone care? No. Sometimes that happens... great players having bad games against better teams with better players. Some players are on the short end of the stick more often than not.
              I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
              iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
              Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• No QB can be the GOAT without leaving a big footprint in the playoffs. Thus far, Peyton has not done that.
                Blame his defense, blame his mediocre oline, etc. How many times do the Colts have to lose a home game in the playoffs before people start to re-evaluate where Peyton ranks among the greatest NFL QBs??

When the games count the most, when the Colts absolutely need Peyton to be the GOAT, he isn't.

He lost that game to the Saints on a stupid INT that was returned for a TD.

A terrible read on his part, inexcusable for a player of his stature and skill set.

I forgot the poster who said it, but Manning is the greatest regular season QB in NFL history. But there's really no way you can put him higher than that.
                QB is not like RB or WR or DE; QBs more than any position are graded on playoff wins and SBs.
                It's why Kurt Warner is a probable HOFer, (3 SB appearances) and Donovan McNabb isn't.

Just win baby. Great QB, no doubt. But for one single game, for all the glory, over the history of the NFL is Peyton the guy you'd really want calling the signals for your squad??

That's why Peyton isn't the GOAT.

Comment

• So his comebacks against the Pats and such arent great footprints? most of the time he didnt even lose them the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                    No QB can be the GOAT without leaving a big footprint in the playoffs. Thus far, Peyton has not done that.
                    Blame his defense, blame his mediocre oline, etc. How many times do the Colts have to lose a home game in the playoffs before people start to re-evaluate where Peyton ranks among the greatest NFL QBs??

When the games count the most, when the Colts absolutely need Peyton to be the GOAT, he isn't.

He lost that game to the Saints on a stupid INT that was returned for a TD.

A terrible read on his part, inexcusable for a player of his stature and skill set.

I forgot the poster who said it, but Manning is the greatest regular season QB in NFL history. But there's really no way you can put him higher than that.
                    QB is not like RB or WR or DE; QBs more than any position are graded on playoff wins and SBs.
                    It's why Kurt Warner is a probable HOFer, (3 SB appearances) and Donovan McNabb isn't.

Just win baby. Great QB, no doubt. But for one single game, for all the glory, over the history of the NFL is Peyton the guy you'd really want calling the signals for your squad??

That's why Peyton isn't the GOAT.
                    Yeah, but you need the team to leave deep footprints. And, some breaks in Brady's case(like the Tuck Rule and the ball being kicked out of bounds by Kasay).

And, as far as last year's SB is concerned, don't blame Peyton. There were other plays that made a bigger difference:

1. When the Colts were up 10-0, Peyton hit Pierre Garcon for a first down, but he dropped it. That play could have kept the momentum going for the Colts, and maybe they go up 17-0 by halftime.

2. The onside kick by Payton coming out of halftime. If the Colts recover that, it is a different game.

Basically, Brady has been luckier in the playoffs than Peyton.

As for the list, I am not sure if Brady is a top-100 player all-time. He is an overrated system QB that needs things to be pristine to have success. Give him pressure, and he is taken out of the game, like the Giants proved three years ago.

I don't think that I would have Favre in the top-20, either.

Here would be my top-10:

1. Jim Brown: Best ever.
                    2. Lawrence Taylor: Best defensive player of all-time.
                    3. Walter Payton
                    4. Johnny Unitas
                    5. Mean Joe Greene
                    6. Reggie White
                    7. Barry Sanders
                    8. Don Hutson
                    9. Dick Butkus
                    10. Sammy Baugh: I would rate him this high because he did more than just play QB. He was a punter and a defensive back as well.

I would have Rice rated 11-15, and Montana around 20-22 behind Elway, Marino, and Peyton.

Comment

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                      The thing is though that he is usually the reason the team wins. he leads his team to 10+ wins every time, i doubt no one is gonna argue that its the superb running game or individual performances of the WRs that is carrying this team. Fact is that people are blaming him for not carrying his team more. With Peyton its obvious, that if he doesnt play well, the Colts will lose. The Pats can overcome bad games of their QB, the Steelers can, the Falcons can, the Giants can, because they can either rely on their running game or their defense. The Colts have been Peyton all day. Or would you bet on the team to win if you have only an average game by Peyton? I wouldnt. there is nothing on that team that would make me believe they could carry it when Peyton is having a bad day. That is why people credit him and think the whole "PEYTON IS LOSING OMGZ" is kinda ridiculous to some extent
                      This isn't necessarily true. First off, a team is going to be a consistent winner if their quarterback is a good one period. And the Colts do have a chance to win the game if Peyton Manning is off his mark. The entire 2002 season was a good example when they had a pretty decent defense, but were only 17th in point scored. Or the 2006 playoffs where Peyton wasn't that great. That Kansas City game comes to mind when Ty Law continue to terrorize Manning and the defense that had been torched all season via the run, stepped up and shut Larry Johnson down. Peyton has had bad games and the team has still won. Us playing the Colts last year was a good example.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                        If Peyton threw for 145 yards in a Super Bowl with a QB rating the mid 80s, people would crucify him and say that he was carried by the rushing attack or defense. Oh, wait I guess that's already happened. And he faced the best defense in the NFC that Super Bowl? He puts up 29 points against the 3rd ranked scoring defense, but because he threw an INT and only managed 247 yards, he was carried by the defense. Yeah, give me a ******* break. The defense didn't play like complete dog ****. A surprise? Yes, but they didn't carry him. He actually got help. I consider that a huge difference. For once in his career, Peyton didn't have to throw for 330 yards, 4 TDs and be nearly perfect every game to get a ******* W in the playoffs. I'm sure his career will be tarnished forever. 2009 playoffs, minus one throw, he plays great football, yet he's a choker. It's a joke. The standards are so high for him, higher than Brady or any other QB before him, that he literally has to play the greatest game of his life every single week.

Peyton beat Brady in 2006. They went head-to-head. Somewhere it the stat book elway=goat produced, it failed to say anything like that. Shocking how the tables turn. When Brady throws the ball 40 or 50 times a game, the Patriots lose in the playoffs and he plays poorly. What a shocker. Peyton throws the ball 40 times a game in the playoffs like it's routine. No running game and no defense? And Brady is human? The game completely on the QBs shoulders and Brady has been average in the playoffs? Sometimes loses badly? Loses as much as he wins? No Super Bowls? Wow, what a surprise. When he can turn around and run the ball for 150 yards a game and have a defense that holds a team to less than 17 points... he wins? No ****.

No one wants to talk about Brady in the post season when he wasn't on a team that had a very good running game and top 10 defense. No one wants to bring up those stats. No one wants to talk about the Chargers game in 2006 when he had a QB rating of 57 and 3 INTs. And then to play the Colts and do very little again? 2007 he goes undefeated in the regular season and throws 50 TDs. Playoffs role around and he throws 3 INTs against the Chargers winning only because Rivers had a tore ACL with no LT and an injured Gates. Then he goes to the Super Bowl and people blame the offensive line. Wow, Tom Brady gets pressure and we pass the buck off to someone else. Peyton gets pressure and it's his fault for holding on to the ball. That stat book once again made by Patriots fans blames Asante Samuel for dropping a should-be game ending INT. Blames David Tyree for a miracle. Blames the offensive line. Gives credit to the Giants defense. Brady only managing 14 points? No. Highest scoring offense in NFL history? Everyone else's fault except for Brady. When people want to pick and choose when a QB gets credit then things get slanted. He does very little in the playoffs and he gets credit. He doesn't play well? Well, he's got 3 rings to fall back on. He doesn't deserve all the credit and he doesn't deserve all the blame. A terrible call in 2004 against Oakland gave him a ring the Patriots never deserved to play for. Would it make him any less great? I don't think so. He'd still have 2 rings and 1 SB loss with an undefeated team in the regular season. Pretty ******* great. He's had a lot of luck to win 3 rings.

2009 he had a QB rating below 50. Threw 3 INTs. Joe Flacco threw for 34 ******* yards and beat him. Does anyone care? No. Sometimes that happens... great players having bad games against better teams with better players. Some players are on the short end of the stick more often than not.
                        I don't believe my comment was about Brady, it was about Peyton in general. And my response is about to be. In regards to Manning, we have to remember that even with the likes of Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and Edgerrin James...when they were all playing together, that offense failed to get it done. I don't blame Peyton Manning for all of that, but he is responsible for a lot of his bad performances in the postseason. Yes he's faced some great defenses, but he's lost against some many different teams over the years you can't really say it's been one team that had his number. New England would be the closest. If we're talking GOAT, then I have to give a pass to Manning purely because of his postseason performances. You can blame the offensive line, receivers, backs, or whatever...but if this was the case, the Colts wouldn't have a great record every single season. Folks might say that it's because Peyton does it all himself that they have a good record ever year, but if this is the case why doesn't he "just do it himself" when January comes around?

As for his defense, like I said earlier, he's had good defenses in the playoffs, but still put the game in jeopardy due to his poor decisions. Him and the offense in general.

And Manning wasn't carried by the defense in that Super Bowl, but he was carried by that rushing attack that gained almost 200 yards. Rex Grossman turning it over X amount of times didn't help the Bears either.

Comment

• This is pretty great article on what Manning means to the colts.

http://bluesundaycolts.blogspot.com/...nd-how-to.html

Comment

• Originally posted by tuan33 View Post
                            This is pretty great article on what Manning means to the colts.

http://bluesundaycolts.blogspot.com/...nd-how-to.html
                            I don't think anyone is saying he isn't observant and doesn't do a lot for his team. Despite the work he puts in though, that still doesn't mean he always makes the right decisions on the field. Especially when the game is on the line in the playoffs. You can blame the receivers, coaches, or the line, but some of the blame has to fall on Manning and his failure to execute. The author of that article even says Manning may have a tendency to get rattled in certain situations.

Oh and since when did Phil Simms make the Hall of Fame?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                              I don't believe my comment was about Brady, it was about Peyton in general. And my response is about to be. In regards to Manning, we have to remember that even with the likes of Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and Edgerrin James...when they were all playing together, that offense failed to get it done. I don't blame Peyton Manning for all of that, but he is responsible for a lot of his bad performances in the postseason. Yes he's faced some great defenses, but he's lost against some many different teams over the years you can't really say it's been one team that had his number. New England would be the closest. If we're talking GOAT, then I have to give a pass to Manning purely because of his postseason performances. You can blame the offensive line, receivers, backs, or whatever...but if this was the case, the Colts wouldn't have a great record every single season. Folks might say that it's because Peyton does it all himself that they have a good record ever year, but if this is the case why doesn't he "just do it himself" when January comes around?

As for his defense, like I said earlier, he's had good defenses in the playoffs, but still put the game in jeopardy due to his poor decisions. Him and the offense in general.

And Manning wasn't carried by the defense in that Super Bowl, but he was carried by that rushing attack that gained almost 200 yards. Rex Grossman turning it over X amount of times didn't help the Bears either.
                              I understand that and I can understand where you're coming from, but when people talk about Peyton's lone SB win they give him a backhanded compliment (which you've done and I'll address momentarily with CAPS). They say he didn't play that well in the playoffs and the run defense stepped up. I don't hear anyone taking Brady's first ring away. 2001 (I said 2004 in my earlier post) had a bunch of luck. That was not a great team... by any means, and Brady wasn't even close to being a great player. They played a high powered Raiders offense in a blizzard, had a generous tuck rule call (which should have ended the game), a miracle kick to tie the game and then they played the Steelers who had a WR/RB playing QB to go along with atrocious special teams play, and then went to the Super Bowl and relied heavily on a defense that beat up the greatest show on turf while holding them to 17 points.

People are acting like Manning has been choking in every playoff game he's ever been in. The Patriots had their number. And by "their," I mean the Colts. The WHOLE TEAM, not just Manning. People are acting like 2003 and 2004 loses to NE are happening every year. Prior to Peyton winning a Super Bowl, I would have been arguing right along side you against Manning. Things, however, have drastically changed in the playoffs since 2002. I also think Peyton will get another ring since he has played so well in the playoffs for the last several years.

And Manning wasn't carried in the Super Bowl. That is so false it's disgrace to even say, let alone think to be true. HE HAD HELP!!!! There is a HUGE difference. Big Ben was carried in his first Super Bowl win. That's being carried. Trent Dilfer was carried for an entire season during his Super Bowl run. Brad Johnson... same scenario. They had great SB games. Doesn't really mean **** to me though.

Peyton played well in his Super Bowl. Rex had 2 turnovers. Both INTs. He fumbled a couple snaps because it was pouring rain, but they were recovered by the Bears. The last INT was in the final minutes of the game by Bob Sanders... after the game was already over (due to his 1st INT to Hayden that he returned for a TD) had little impact on the outcome of the game. No impact actually. He played well after a bad first QT where they trailed 14 to 3 or something like that.

His shootout with NE in the 2006 AFC Championship game? He greatly outplayed Brady. He made about twice as many plays as Brady did and they only won by 4 points. The Colts were getting embarrassed. Down 21 to 6 at the half. Peyton brings them back, but its like it never even happened. "Peyton was average in the playoffs. He was carried by a rushing attack and a defense." Peyton takes his team down and scores with 1 minute left in the game (38-34 taking their first and only lead of the game) making more throws while getting hit in the face and dropping dimes all over the field than just about anything I've ever seen, yet Peyton had a bad playoffs. With 1 minute left and 2 times outs Brady had the ball, and threw a game ending INT to Marlin Jackson. Choke job? I don't hear anyone bringing that game up. Why not? Peyton was running his team up and down the field for the entire second half. Does anyone want to talk about that footprint? No, they'd rather talk about the Kansas City game where he threw 3 INTs (while also going 30 of 38 and controlling the clock and field position with the short passing game and an effective running game). If he threw for a perfect passer rating, then people would have said, "Well, it was Kansas City." Peyton has never been carried. If he plays like dog **** (Ravens game in 2006) and they win, then it's a rarity. Extremely rare. It simply doesn't happen. Without Manning that team is garbage without a life or a leader.

Picking and choosing what greatness we want to talk about is my big issue. People act like Peyton hasn't been great in the playoffs. He has. People are acting like Brady hasn't been just as bad, if not worse than Manning in the playoffs, but he has. People act like Brady has been a God in the playoffs. He's been great, but he's also had his moments which have been terrible. People tend not to care as much with Brady since he's been terrible AFTER he's already won rings. Peyton was terrible before he did anything in the playoffs so there was this stigma and reputation that built up with both players that has had a positive effect for Brady (where's he now untouchable) and a very negative effect for Peyton (where's still a loser that rode the coat tails of a defense to 1 ring and choked in his other SB).

Since Brady's last Super Bowl win, Peyton has outplayed Brady in the playoffs... and by a wide margin. But, no one really cares about that.

Comment

• That's a great post Big Banger. Totally agree with the stigma and reputation point you made regards both players.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information