Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Special Teams really 1/3 of the game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football is a battle of field position so my answer is yes.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Cardinals went from 4-12 to 8-8 in 1 year without making many rosters moves besides improving special teams(also Whis was coaching)

Cardinals nearly beat the Titans last year with Leinart starting with only special teams, Graham put 5 punts inside the 20(5, 11, 15, 2, 1) and LSH returned 4 kicks for 167 yards and a TD

Comment

Hugely important. Devin Hester made the bears a contender almost on his own, because they usually needed like 1-2 decent offensive plays to get in FG position, or he'd take it to the house himself.
        Originally posted by SNIPER26
        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
          Cardinals went from 4-12 to 8-8 in 1 year without making many rosters moves besides improving special teams(also Whis was coaching)

Cardinals nearly beat the Titans last year with Leinart starting with only special teams, Graham put 5 punts inside the 20(5, 11, 15, 2, 1) and LSH returned 4 kicks for 167 yards and a TD
          Teams improve by 4 games every year with the same(ish) roster.

And you're saying they played a perfect special teams game and lost?

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

I wouldn't say 1/3, I would say 1/5 important. If you play outrageously good/bad you can swing an outcome, but it pales in comparison to the other 80% of the game.
            Last edited by Shiver; 09-06-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

go watch boise state/virgina tech right now. pretty huge.

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

It's easier if you think of the Non-FG portion of Special Teams as an Augment Booster.

An offense is going to have a much easier time when their return squads are consistantly raking out good yardage fielding kickoffs and punts than they would if said return game was constantly getting squashed deep in their own territory.

And a defense will have a better margin of error should the coverage units effectively limit the yardage gained on returns- even more so should those returns be downed well inside the 20.

In essence; no, it's not as 'Equal' as Offense or Defense, but you ignore it at your own peril.

Comment

I say its about 20%

Comment

Originally posted by stephenson86 View Post
                    I say its about 20%
                    I agree, 1/3 is a bit much maybe, but O 40%, D 40%, ST 20% makes sense.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I'd say it's close to 1/3. The thing holding it back is, realistically a good ST still needs a good O or D to emphasize its effectiveness.

A good O is ultimately one that scores points, and it does that independently. A good D is ultimately one that prevents points, and it too does that independently. Either one can win games more or less on their own, to an extent (of which the Superbowl isn't usually included). With ST, it can do great things for your team, but without the O or D capitalizing on the field position, its 1/3rd isn't realized.

So maybe the better way to look at it is 50% for O and D, with 16.5% of both O and D success being attibuted to ST, and namely the field position it can bring.

Comment

I would say it's very important...however....

Great special teams can't overcome a terrible offense or terrible defense. Field position doesn't matter when you can't get a first down or can't stop the other team from driving 90 yards for a score every possession.

On the other hand, if you have a great offense or great defense with terrible special teams, bad field position makes it harder, but you can still score from 90 yards away and you can stop teams from scoring from 50 yards away.
                        "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information