Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Special Teams really 1/3 of the game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Special Teams really 1/3 of the game?

A good debate perhaps. A lot of people think special teams is 1/3 of the game and just as important as offense and defense. But there are a good amount of people who believe that that isn't the case. That perhaps if special teams really was 1/3 of the game than you'd see people in the draft taken in the early rounds for that very purpose. But they aren't. And the Hall of Fame I don't think has one player that only played on special teams. Maybe they have a good reason for not admitting so many. I'd probably vote for someone that was on the field a majority of the time compared to someone that isn't. And I'm guessing that is why a lot of special teams players keep getting omitted. So what do you think? Is special teams legit? Or not that big of a deal when it comes to having a good offense and defense?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

the browns had the best special teams in the league last year, so it's not as important as O or D when it comes to having a good team....but it's still an important part of the game and if you have bad special teams it can easily cost you a game.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
      the browns had the best special teams in the league last year, so it's not as important as O or D when it comes to having a good team....but it's still an important part of the game and if you have bad special teams it can easily cost you a game.
      That's how I feel.

Comment

Our special teams are pretty legendary.

Cribbs, Dawson, Costanzo

Comment

That's because it was the only 3rd of the game that was good. Their O and D is terrible.

I think ST really is 1/3 bc field position is soooooo effin important.
          There's a big difference between starting at your own 20 or your own 40.
          And the same goes for the D. Punting and punt coverage. So underrated, IMO
          -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Blake Costanzo...the only Lafayette Leopard in the league. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

I would say they are a huge complimentary part to success. Pittsburgh's special teams were terrible last year. Jeff Reed's gaffes versus Chicago, horrible kickoff coverage issues come to mind.
              Football Outsiders tell me they allowed a special teams touchdown 4 times in 5 games during a stretch including a 18-12 loss to Cincy where the only touchdown was Bernard Scott's 97 yard kickoff touchdown. Consider they got bumped out of the playoffs in the last week of the season, I would say special teams cost them the playoffs basically.

Comment

The answer is **** yes.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

Every special teams snap in the NFL is either field position or points, so yes, it is important.

Originally posted by fenikz
                  His soft D really turns me off
                  ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                    Blake Costanzo...the only Lafayette Leopard in the league. haha.
                    That gritty son of a ***** has a knack for coming up with fumbles.

Pittsburgh's special teams coverages are a yearly abortion and they won a Superbowl and were handed another in the last decade.

Josh Cribbs is going to set the record for return TDs against one team with his next TD against them. Eric Metcalf routinely beat them as well.

Do special teams matter? Of course. 1/3? Hell no.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                      That's because it was the only 3rd of the game that was good. Their O and D is terrible.

I think ST really is 1/3 bc field position is soooooo effin important.
                      There's a big difference between starting at your own 20 or your own 40.
                      And the same goes for the D. Punting and punt coverage. So underrated, IMO
                      But would you rather have a team whose only third of the game is having a good offense? Or would you rather have a team whose only third of the game that is good is special teams?

Comment

Doesn't matter. It's still a shytty team
                        -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                          But would you rather have a team whose only third of the game is having a good offense? Or would you rather have a team whose only third of the game that is good is special teams?
                          Offense and defense are going to be on the field longer so I mean its hard to look at ST as being so important, but I'd say it is certainly important enough to call it a 1/3 of the game.

Originally posted by WMD
                          Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                          Originally posted by gpngc
                          I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

That's how coaches see it for the most part. 3 phases of the game, off. def. and ST. I know I see it as one of the 3 phases.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                              Doesn't matter. It's still a shytty team
                              But which shitter team gives you the better chance at winning? That's the point.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information