Bush loses Heisman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    If this his how you really feel, the member universities of the NCAA need to end the pretense, abandon the NCAA and form their own athletic association.

Treat them all like minor league prospects, pay them whatever you want and let them juice up like Dominican baseball players.
    i didnt say this should happen, USC was clearly in violation of many things during this time....but it cant be put on bush who was just a ******* child at the time. these athletes are immature and stupid, they just like anyone would get big eyes when a bunch of nice, free stuff is put in front of them to persuade them
    E]

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
      Yeah, he was still by far the best player in college football that year throughout the regular season
      You're crazy if you think he was head and shoulders better than Vince Young that season. VY had some unreal games for that undefeated Texas team.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
        You're crazy if you think he was head and shoulders better than Vince Young that season. VY had some unreal games for that undefeated Texas team.
        This is very true, i was gunna say something but didnt think anyone woulda bought it.

But Young carried that texas team in a few games where they just didnt show up. There were multiple games that year that the team didnt look very good but Young pulled them through and carried them to that NC game.

Bush had a few of those games where he was damn good (fresno state in particular, ND was a good one from him too) but in the end he had Leinart and LenWhale helpin him out. He was amazing at times but he didnt have the hopes of the whole team on his back as much as vince did imo.
        Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
        Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Then a LOT of people that follow college football closely are crazy. Take away that Rose Bowl game, which isn't part of voting (although I feel bowl games should be) and he was no where near as impressive. Hindsight is 20/20 but according to the rules Bush was clearly the heisman winner that year.

Taking away the trophy is stupid. Who really cares if his parents got a house? Oh no! GASP! It's not like a crime happened, it's just "to protect the integrity" that doesn't actually exist and this is just one case out of hundreds and he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

I get that he broke the rules but it's too late. They voted him the winner. Taking it away years later makes everyone look like a douche.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Apparently people forgot that Vince Young was better than Reggie Bush the entire season, even prior to the Rose Bowl. I'm sorry, leading your team to beating Ohio State on the road is more impressive than dominating Notre Dame and Fresno State. Vince Young was dominant throughout, but his best performances came in the first half of the season so it wasn't as fresh in the minds of the voters. He was still great, but he didn't get much of a challenge or opportunity for greatness in the Big XII that year.

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
              im gonna remember him as the best player in college football in 2006 regardless of the USC shenanigans.

i dont agree with them taking it away from him, it doesnt really do any good 4 years later. bush is making another $8 million this year in base salary, im sure hes not totally devastated
              Yeah but I am sure it hurts to know that they erased him from school history basically. You work hard to accomplish stuff at USC only to see them format you from their hard drives.

Comment

Reggie Bush run v. Fresno State is the definitive play of that season. Ya, he's a turd of an NFL RB, but he was so much better than everyone in college...it was insane!

Comment

I don't really feel like debating with a Texas fan, but Bush received the second most first place votes in the award's history and received ten times more first place votes than Vince Young. If not for the amazingly ridiculous Rose Bowl performance by Young, this wouldn't even be debated today.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                    Apparently people forgot that Vince Young was better than Reggie Bush the entire season, even prior to the Rose Bowl. I'm sorry, leading your team to beating Ohio State on the road is more impressive than dominating Notre Dame and Fresno State. Vince Young was dominant throughout, but his best performances came in the first half of the season so it wasn't as fresh in the minds of the voters. He was still great, but he didn't get much of a challenge or opportunity for greatness in the Big XII that year.
                    I don't think anyone is going to argue that Vince Young had anything short of an amazing season. It's simply that Bush had one of those "man among boy" seasons. There wasn't a single game in the season that he didn't look like a college star playing against high schoolers and there were several games where he looked like a hall-of-fame NFLer against high schoolers. He averaged over 8.5 yards a carry and over 12 yards per reception. There's a reason (almost) everyone was drooling over him as the #1 pick.

Vince Young's season, as good as it was, was not the same. It's also important to recognize that the Heisman is NOT an MVP award. If it was, VY wins it hands down. It goes to the most outstanding player (*on a great team,) which was Bush.
                    Last edited by Sportsfan486; 09-07-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

can someone tell me what happened? i thought he took like some money from companys, how is that changing what he did on the field?

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                        I don't really feel like debating with a Texas fan, but Bush received the second most first place votes in the award's history and received ten times more first place votes than Vince Young. If not for the amazingly ridiculous Rose Bowl performance by Young, this wouldn't even be debated today.
                        The same situation happened with Reggie Bush and the Fresno State game. Everyone rode his dick to the heisman after that game against a garbage Fresno St team. Most of those "yards" were on punt or kick returns anyway.

Go look at Vince Young in 05, @ Ohio St, beating Oklahoma by a record margin, 500+ yards of offense vs Okie St, Big 12 championship v Buffalo winning by a 67 point margin.

Comment

People act like Bush rushed for 2500 yards and 40 TDs that Heisman season.

Bush was the most exciting player in college football, no doubt, but was he 'the best'??

As Heisman winners go, stat wise, he had an average season in '05.
                          Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                            can someone tell me what happened? i thought he took like some money from companys, how is that changing what he did on the field?
                            It's not changing what he did on the field, but invalidating it. They've erased those USC seasons from the record books, and they've asked them to forfeit revenues they gained from bowl games.

Comment

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Vince Young had anything short of an amazing season. It's simply that Bush had one of those "man among boy" seasons. There wasn't a single game in the season that he didn't look like a college star playing against high schoolers and there were several games where he looked like a hall-of-fame NFLer against high schoolers. He averaged over 8.5 yards a carry and over 12 yards per reception. There's a reason (almost) everyone was drooling over him as the #1 pick.
                              Vince was the first 3000 / 1000 QB. Reggie was not the first anything. ESPN had to popularize a statistic to help push their candidate, "total yards."

Reggie was a great player, Vince was otherworldly in 2005.

Oh.... Reggie had 500+ yds against Fresno State.... Vince had 500+ versus Oklahoma State. Vince beat Ohio State, Reggie beat nobody of note. Reggie had Lindale White, Matt Lienart, and one of their big slow awesome college receivers, I forget which. Vince had a lot of talent around him but none on that offense were as good as those 3 above. Vince didn't play in the fourth quarter in almost all the games, Vince didn't play through the 3rd quarter in most games. Texas' closest game, outside of the MNC was Ohio State, and then Texas A&M at 11 points. Texas destroyed everyone that year. They averaged over 50 pts a game, they averaged more than USC. Vince didn't need a "Bush Push" to beat anybody. He needed a late touchdown pass that he threw.

Yes, I think most of the voters are stupid when it comes to the Heisman. It is a flavor of the month, whomever gets the most air time on ESPN award. The award is not for the best player in football, it is for the best offensive player on the most publicized team.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                                People act like Bush rushed for 2500 yards and 40 TDs that Heisman season.

Bush was the most exciting player in college football, no doubt, but was he 'the best'??

As Heisman winners go, stat wise, he had an average season in '06.
                                How many 1500+ yard rushing seasons with over 8.5 a carry are there in major College football? One.

Considering he was also the best returnman that year and did damage as a receiver, also, it's rather impressive. And Vince Young only got 3k/1k AFTER the BCS game. Thusly, it doesn't even count for Heisman voting, just further evidence people are tainted by that epic Rose Bowl.
                                Last edited by Sportsfan486; 09-07-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information