Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bush loses Heisman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
    Most of those "yards" were on punt or kick returns anyway.
    You're better than this.

    23 carries, 294 yards, 2 TD
    3 receptions, 68 yards
    135 KR yards
    16 PR yards

    58.4 percent of his yards came on either rushes or catches.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Sniper View Post
      You're better than this.

      23 carries, 294 yards, 2 TD
      3 receptions, 68 yards
      135 KR yards
      16 PR yards

      58.4 percent of his yards came on either rushes or catches.
      41.6% of your "total yards" being from ST is a whole lot when you're constantly hearing "ZOMGZ 500 total yardzzz!!!11"

      Vince Young actually had a game where he had 500 yards of offense in the regular season. Against a team that actually had a pulse.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
        How many 1500+ yard rushing seasons with over 8.5 a carry are there in major College football? One.
        How many people have had a 3000/1000 season while being #3 in pass efficiency. While playing a better schedule than Bush did.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Fico View Post
          How many people have had a 3000/1000 season while being #3 in pass efficiency. While playing a better schedule than Bush did.
          How many QBs have had better stats than 3000 passing yards and 26/10? How about that year alone? And Vince Young didn't have a 3000/1000 when voters voted. Bush DID have 1500+ and a 8.5 average. Seriously guys, THE VOTING IS BEFORE THE ROSE BOWL. 3000/1000 IS NOT A VALID ARGUMENT, HE DIDN'T HAVE A 3000/1000 WHEN THEY VOTED AND BASED ON HIS YARDS PER GAME IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE HE'D GET IT.

          And if Texas' schedule was more difficult, it wasn't by much. Both teams played pretty powdery soft schedules.

          Regardless, we've gotten away from the topic at hand. Should Vince Young be awarded the Heisman or should it stay empty? I feel Young should be awarded it, he obviously would have if Bush hadn't been there.


          When being a fanboi goes too far.

          Comment


          • #35
            Know what VY and Reggie Bush have in common??

            NEITHER is a Heisman trophy winner!!lol

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
              41.6% of your "total yards" being from ST is a whole lot when you're constantly hearing "ZOMGZ 500 total yardzzz!!!11"
              Considering it annihilated the previous record, it doesn't really matter.

              Vince Young actually had a game where he had 500 yards of offense in the regular season. Against a team that actually had a pulse.
              Wait, so a QB had more yards in a game than a RB did? That never happens. Like, ever ever.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                Wait, so a QB had more yards in a game than a RB did? That never happens. Like, ever ever.
                Not when the QB almost has as much rushing yards as that RB that was teh greatest evar against the cupcake fresno st team.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                  Not when the QB almost has as much rushing yards as that RB that was teh greatest evar against the cupcake fresno st team.
                  Vince Young's touches- 30 passes, 21 carries (51 touches) 9.9 yards per touch
                  Reggie Bush's touches- 23 carries, three receptions, one punt return, seven kickoff returns (34 touches) 15 yards per touch

                  Yep, totally the same thing. You're blasting Bush for doing it against an 8-5 Fresno State team, but praising Young to high heavens for doing it against a powerhouse 4-7 Okie State squad. Seriously?

                  Plus, you got the important trophy anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                    It's not changing what he did on the field, but invalidating it. They've erased those USC seasons from the record books, and they've asked them to forfeit revenues they gained from bowl games.
                    they invalidated them cause they took money? im not following college so idk whats going on

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
                      How many QBs have had better stats than 3000 passing yards and 26/10? How about that year alone? And Vince Young didn't have a 3000/1000 when voters voted. Bush DID have 1500+ and a 8.5 average. Seriously guys, THE VOTING IS BEFORE THE ROSE BOWL. 3000/1000 IS NOT A VALID ARGUMENT, HE DIDN'T HAVE A 3000/1000 WHEN THEY VOTED AND BASED ON HIS YARDS PER GAME IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE HE'D GET IT.

                      And if Texas' schedule was more difficult, it wasn't by much. Both teams played pretty powdery soft schedules.

                      Regardless, we've gotten away from the topic at hand. Should Vince Young be awarded the Heisman or should it stay empty? I feel Young should be awarded it, he obviously would have if Bush hadn't been there.
                      True about when the 3000/1000 was achieved. However, Vince accumulated those stats in roughly half a season, due to all the time he spent watching the second team play. Also I mentioned, that Bush had a Heisman winning QB, a very good #1 college wide receiver, another 1000 yard rusher, and a below average defense that made sure he had multiple opportunities to rack up stats. Would this even be a conversation if USC's defense hadn't given up 45 points or whatever to Fresno? Yes all that matters because you have to take each of their accomplishments in context.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                        Vince Young's touches- 30 passes, 21 carries (51 touches) 9.9 yards per touch
                        Reggie Bush's touches- 23 carries, three receptions, one punt return, seven kickoff returns (34 touches) 15 yards per touch
                        What would the average per touch be if you took away his kickoff returns that game? Hell a 20 yd average on a kickoff return is mediocre, but it sure can boost your argument when it is presented as you did.

                        Just curious.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Bush was the obvious Heisman winner that season. He was insane.
                          Young was a great player, but Bush looked like an out of this world, once in a generation, type of player....and in all honesty he was. He dominated like no other.
                          Now if you count the Rose Bowl, different story. But you dont.

                          I see no point taking away his Heisman. He deserved it. I know he violated NCAA rules, but those rules are ridiculous, out-dated, and countless players violate them. The NCAA is a joke. They're trying to protect the integrity of the Heisman by doing this I suppose, but I think it'd show more integrity by saying FU NCAA, Bush deserved it, your rules suck, and its 5 years after the fact anyway.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by P-L View Post
                            I don't really feel like debating with a Texas fan, but Bush received the second most first place votes in the award's history and received ten times more first place votes than Vince Young. If not for the amazingly ridiculous Rose Bowl performance by Young, this wouldn't even be debated today.

                            Yeah but I feel Bush benefited from the enormous hype that USC got that year. I mean, ESPN hyped them as the greatest team EVER in college football, and Bush as the greatest college player ever or one of the top ones.

                            Bush was damn good, and whoever said he looked like a HOF amongst boys was dead on, but i just didnt (and still dont) think he carried his team like Young did. Both were deserving of it, i thought the gap in voting was a product of USC's hype.
                            Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                            Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Jumped the gun, Heisman committee says no change.

                              http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._false/3185614

                              "UPDATE: Heisman Trust President William Dockery released his own statement on the matter.
                              September 7, 2010

                              The status of the USC / Bush matter remains unchanged. Any reports to the contrary are inaccurate. Please refer to July 2010 statement below.

                              William J. Dockery

                              President , Heisman Trust

                              Re: Heisman Trophy – USC/Reggie Bush

                              “The Heisman Trophy Trust, is a 501(c)(3) charitable trust, which each year contributes significant monies to the underserved of our country.

                              The Trust will be considering the issues raised in the USC/Reggie Bush matter, and after reaching a decision will publish it, but due to the complex issues involved and the Trust’s desire to reach an appropriate decision, no definitive timetable has been established. Until the matter has been fully considered and a decision is reached, the Trust has no further comment.”

                              William J. Dockery
                              President
                              Heisman Trophy Trust"

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                DeAngelo Williams deserved the Heisman that year anyway.


                                RIP TheManInBlack

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information