No announcement yet.

Week 1 Write up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The year everyone jumped off the "Arizona's going to break out" bandwagon they went to the Super Bowl.

The Texans remind me alot of that team. They're probably not Super Bowl bound, but in the NFL anything's possible really...Either way I think the Texans are the 2nd best team in their division...not that Titans.

Also, did anyone actually buy any of the negative stuff said about the Pats? I'll believe Goliath is dead when his head is placed before me cleanly detached from the body.

Was anyone else surprised at how often the Cowboys looked at Dez Bryant last night? The guy played what...3 games last year in his junior year of college...and I'm not sure he played all that much in the preseason either...I'd be shocked if he isn't the OROY. The guy is a beast.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 09-13-2010, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Everyone is going to look at the box score and assume Smith sucked but that just isn't the case. He had thrown what should have been a touchdown but the receiver stumbled so he did not get to the right spot and both interceptions were not entirely his fault. The first bounced right off of Crabtree's chest, it could not have been a better throw, and the second he ran a lazy route but it was still overthrown though.

Comment

it just really reminds me of the tuck rule, while not as important, basically same thing
        It's not. When there are other TD rules that allow for far sketchier TDs.

e.g. A runningback jumps into a pile, puts the ball over the line and then loses control of the ball. That's a TD.

Player running towards a pylon, jumps out of bounds, puts ball over pylon out of bounds...that's a TD.

But a guy catches a ball, has it with both hands, two steps, puts the ball up in the air with one hand in celebration of a great grab, falls on his ass (end of play!), then the ball squirts out when he gets up to celebrate... That's not a TD? In what universe.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
          by rule it was called exactly right.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...call-was-right
          Even by that definition, they got the call wrong. In what way did he not have maintained possession at any point of that play?

If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.
          He clearly was in full control of the ball the entire time. He palmed it with one hand and had full control of it before he got up. Touchdown!

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
            it just really reminds me of the tuck rule, while not as important, basically same thing
            I don't think the rule was ever intended to judge situations like these. I mean this, for all intends and purposes was a catch. I'm sure you can go into the rulebook and by the strictest, most backwards reading of the rules can somehow justify it, but that's butchering the spirit of the game.

This was a bad call because the rule they cite was never intended to rule out such plays and if Lovie Smith really thinks this is 'obvious' then I will refrain from ever feeling anything but disgust for that man. It was a horrible call because the refs perverted the rulebook to make it, and I don't believe anyone, even bears fans, can see this play and hear the ruling and go "well that makes sense", because you just can't.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Put it this way - I doubt even the hardest of hardcore Bears fans would be complaining if it wasn't reviewed and was ruled a TD.

CJ made the play and brought it in. I've never seen a WR drop a pass and then get up and celebrate it, and I think CJ deserves a little bit of credit as a guy who probably knows when he's caught a football in his hands. He obviously felt it was a catch. The only time a WR has ever done something like this is when the sideline/endzone line is in question, which it obviously wasn't here.

Comment

Bears know they lost, if anything this just helps the Lions in the long run, higher pick and more motivation

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                  Bears know they lost, if anything this just helps the Lions in the long run, higher pick and more motivation
                  I can understand motivation, but I don't think the Lions are short on high draft picks...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I just don't understand exactly how long you have to demonstrate possession going to the ground.

I mean, he came down with 2 feet, held the ball in the air one hand basically telling the ref he look I got it, came down with a knee, put his other hand on the ground, then after he had obviously shown possession he used the hand with the ball in it to get up. I mean, it almost looked like he set the ball on the ground on purpose. I mean, how many "football moves" do you have to complete for it to be a catch?

I don't think they go it right according to the rule, IMO he did demonstrate possession going to the ground, it wasn't until he was getting up that he lost it. Basically, they decided that "going to the ground" means falling on your ass, then turning over to get up, then putting your hands on the ground to push yourself up, then actually getting up. Clearly CJ did not have the ball when he got up so it wasn't a completed catch?
                    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX; 09-13-2010, 09:29 AM.
                    "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

I really wish Kolb was healthy enough to play in the 2nd half yesterday. I think he could have gotten the offense going the same way Vick did (without all the running obviously). Vick's passes were less accurate than Kolb's were, but like you mentioned Vick's legs saved him on MANY occasions which is what everyone sees.

The thing that kinda sucks is with Vick most likely starting next week against Detroit with Kolb injured, he could have a very good game passing against the lions' secondary, and everyone will still be calling for him to be the starter even more.

Comment

Kolb just sucks. How many balls did he try and force to Jackson? He really just goes with his initial read. Can he read a defense?

Comment

He pretty much has to come down all the way to the ground with full control and without the ball touching the ground. Similar to what happened to Tampa's Edell Shepherd in the Wildcard game against the Skins, except there was contact in that case (though according to the rule, it doesn't matter either way).

Really, they need an asterisk or a branch off of this rule specifically for the endzone. The instant there is possession (control, two feet), Touchdown and play over. Similar to how the ball just needs to break the plane for a runner crossing the goal line or the "infinite" endzone rule where a guy can just dive over the corner pylon and it be a touch.

Comment

He pretty much has to come down all the way to the ground with full control and without the ball touching the ground.
                            He did. There's no excuse here. It was a TD.

Comment

To start off, I'll admit that I'm a huge Bears fan so I watched the game and saw it live. At first, I was shocked they were reviewing it. But as soon as I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be overturned because I know the rule. For it to be a catch you must have two feet down and maintain possession throughout the entire catch. He got two feet down, but when he went to the ground, the ball came out. We've seen this call a ton of times in the field of play and no one complains about it. But when it overturns a TD, it's a huge deal. However, the rules don't change just because the catch comes in the endzone.

And for those who bring up running backs fumbling after they reach the goal line, that argument is ridiculous. For a touchdown to occur, you must break the goal line with possession. As soon as the ball crosses the line, if the RB has possession, it's a TD. In Johnson's case, he didn't have possession because he lost the ball when he hit the ground.

The call was right. The Lions were not robbed of a win by the refs. They were robbed of a win because despite investings tens of millions of dollars in a QB, they refuse to protect him and despite having a supposed defensive genius as a coach they couldn't hold Chicago to under 400 yards of offense.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                              Bortlezzzzzzz
                              Originally posted by Monomach
                              Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                                To start off, I'll admit that I'm a huge Bears fan so I watched the game and saw it live. At first, I was shocked they were reviewing it. But as soon as I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be overturned because I know the rule. For it to be a catch you must have two feet down and maintain possession throughout the entire catch. He got two feet down, but when he went to the ground, the ball came out. We've seen this call a ton of times in the field of play and no one complains about it. But when it overturns a TD, it's a huge deal. However, the rules don't change just because the catch comes in the endzone.

And for those who bring up running backs fumbling after they reach the goal line, that argument is ridiculous. For a touchdown to occur, you must break the goal line with possession. As soon as the ball crosses the line, if the RB has possession, it's a TD. In Johnson's case, he didn't have possession because he lost the ball when he hit the ground.

The call was right. The Lions were not robbed of a win by the refs. They were robbed of a win because despite investings tens of millions of dollars in a QB, they refuse to protect him and despite having a supposed defensive genius as a coach they couldn't hold Chicago to under 400 yards of offense.
                                Dude. Shut up. He had possession. GTFO with that ****, homer.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information