Week 1 Write up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagles-Packers was a tough gritty game.

Eagles got a good pass rush and their secondary played tight coverage but sucked at tackling. Run defense was poor. They lost Bradley (MLB) to injury though among others.

Eagles offense looked like garbage with Kolb. He had 24 yards in a half and should have had 3+ picks (but had 0). Vick looked very good except mediocre accuracy and poor decision making. Their line broke down a lot but Vick got away from pressure multiple times. DJax and Maclin weren't getting separation but if they were I couldn't tell because no one was throwing to them. Eagles didn't run the ball at all really unless you count a the Vick pass-scrambles.

Packers defense looked great. Starting DE Cullen Jenkins broke his hand and has to wear a club. Harrell - our #4 lineman is (not confirmed but 99.999%) out for the year. Raji looked great at NT and we collapsed the pocket pretty easily almost every play even with 3,4 rushers. Secondary played excellent. Charles Woodson was everywhere batting down passes and Traman Williams was doing the same - good to see them playing the football. UDFA Sam Shields did OK for his first game. Clay Matthews, Clay Matthews, Clay Matthews, he looked like 3 people out there. Clay Matthews: DPOW (D Player of Week). 2 Sacks, a third almost sack where he tackled Kolb scrambling for a 2 yard gain with a forced fumble and gave him the concussion, lead the team in tackles, good in coverage, and beat a double team to tackle Vick on 4th and 1 for a clear yard short of the marker. Oh, he dropped an interception though, so A+ instead of A+++.

Packers offense looked bad mostly. J-Mike got doubled teamed and shut down a lot. Rodgers was inaccurate, 2 INTs, wasn't reading the field well. Receivers played well and got separation, especially Jennings and Driver. OL run blocked well and poor but not terrible pass pro. Rodgers had time to drop back, set and throw most every play but any hesitation and he got sacked, which he did a lot. Grant got hurt after some nice runs, Brandon Jackson played the second half - he's our only other RB on the roster BTW. He looked excellent though, a completely different player. Hit the hole hard, quicker, and really strong legs that would consistently push the tackle back 3-4 yards.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Some of my thoughts from Opening Week. Won't bother making my own thread I'm sure we've seen enough around here.

- I think in Patriot land this off-season Belichick and Brady were sitting around quietly taking in all the Jets hype in the media and just building that to their motivation. I think they wanted to show the league they are still the team to beat in the AFC East. Brady looked to be in prime form with his assortment of weapons including a healthy Wes Welker, TE Aaron Hernandez will make a big impact for them.. he's a Tight End with Wide receiver-like abilities they can do some really creative things with him in the passing game. The only thing that was off was the deep game to Randy Moss.. they couldn't seem to connect on the longer routes, but hey it is Week 1 I expect things to smooth out as the season goes a long as they get their timing back.

I questioned how their young Defense would hold up, and they answered the call just fine. They showed me they were up for the challenge. Last season they looked inexperienced, yesterday they looked fast and broke and attacked the ball with confidence. Belichick has coached these guys up. There are still some questions with the Pats like how will this team perform on the road? Their road record was fairly poor last season.. but they showed quite a lot in this first game against a Bengal team many people thought should be a force in the AFC this season.

- Now onto the Bengals.. disappointing start to the season. With the hype surrounding their additions on Offense I expected a lot more from them Offensively. Yes Palmer put up some nice numbers in the end, but a lot of it was from playing catch up. In the crucial moments of the game, he made some poor decisions, and wasn't on time with some throws. A Defense which was quite solid for them last season was carved up with ease by Brady on the Patriots, and the run Defense looked vulnerable surrendering 5.1 YPC. They'll have time to work things out, but they'll have a big game next week against the Ravens.

- Is there a changing of the winds in the AFC South? Yesterday was a very big win for the Texans against their Divisional foe Indianapolis...a type of confidence booster that can turn around a franchise... but you have to keep things in perspective it was just 1 game. They have much work to do, starting with a road game in Washington next week. Use this as a building block win, but the whole season is ahead.

- Ugly games seemed to be a theme for Week 1, which was apparent in the Packers/Eagles game. The Packers were a pre-season Super Bowl favorite coming for the NFC... They didn't look amazingly sharp vs. a feisty Eagles team, which gave them a gritty, physical game. At times they did show that Super Bowl potential with big plays in the passing game... but Aaron Rodgers also made some critical mistakes which kept the Eagles in the game late. They would have to be led by Mike Vick after Kevin Kolb was knocked out of the game with a concussion. Good teams don't always win pretty, but the Packers pulled it out on the road in less than stellar conditions... I expect them to have a much easier time with Buffalo at home next week.

- As for the Kolb/Vick situations... I think Mike Vick is the best fit for them if they want to win some games this season. Their Offensive line looked very porous in Pass protection, and with Vick's escapability, he stands a much better chance of surviving and turning nothing into something than Kolb would. Kolb looked pretty poor in the little amount of time he got, and showed very little confidence. It is said a team feeds off their QB, and while Kolb was in the Eagles didn't played with confidence like their QB.

- The Titans should still be the dominant Rushing team in the NFL. Yes they played the Raiders but 203 yards rushing is impressive. Chris Johnson looks to be on a repeat quest for 2k... and you give them a backup Back like Javon Ringer? Woah that's just not fair.

- The Jaguars probably won't be as bad of a team as I anticipated, Garrard looked pretty good and confident, and Marcedes Lewis has emerged as one of his top targets. They're still in a brutal division and I still don't expect playoffs from them but they probably won't be in contention for the #1 pick like some were suggesting this off-season.
      Last edited by Auron; 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
        Packers offense looked bad mostly. J-Mike got doubled teamed and shut down a lot. Rodgers was inaccurate, 2 INTs, wasn't reading the field well. Receivers played well and got separation, especially Jennings and Driver. OL run blocked well and poor but not terrible pass pro. Rodgers had time to drop back, set and throw most every play but any hesitation and he got sacked, which he did a lot. Grant got hurt after some nice runs, Brandon Jackson played the second half - he's our only other RB on the roster BTW. He looked excellent though, a completely different player. Hit the hole hard, quicker, and really strong legs that would consistently push the tackle back 3-4 yards.
        Rogers didn't look too bad, he threw a couple of picks and made a couple of bad decisions, but I really liked how he lead that offense. I'm not worried about his future this season in the slightest.

Comment

He took some sacks that made me scream and I remember watching Finley run across the first down marker open for at least 2 seconds on 3rd and 2 and Rodgers just wouldn't take his eyes off down field. His accuracy was also inconsistent, especially the first series and the second interception.

I'm not worried about his future in the slightest I just think he played like garbage compared to what he's capable of. He looked like all his early 2009 problems came back and were multiplied.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
            So was the tuck rule and people are still bitching nine years later...
            still the right call.

Comment

Why isn't Josh Freeman mentioned in "Young QB's section" ??

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

I've never seen a WR drop a pass and then get up and celebrate it, and I think CJ deserves a little bit of credit as a guy who probably knows when he's caught a football in his hands.
                You haven't watched very much football. WRs always claim they've caught the ball, even when they haven't.

While I think the rule is ridiculous and inconsistent with most endzone rules regarding when a score is completed, the rule is pretty clear and he clearly did not meet the requirements for a completed catch.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I'm not so sure that Moore wasn't concussed well before the 4th quarter and I'm not just saying that because he played like it. He took some pretty heavy hits early in the game

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                    I was about to bring this up. Our young QB is better than all of your young QBs!8)
                    save Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                      Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
                      I was about to bring this up. Our young QB is better than all of your young QBs!8-)
                      I actually thought I had something about him in there, I did in my notes anyway.

I was impressed with him and I think he's legit, which really pisses me off to be quite honest. First a QB, then two great DTs now a good WR. **** you guys.

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                      I'm not so sure that Moore wasn't concussed well before the 4th quarter and I'm not just saying that because he played like it. He took some pretty heavy hits early in the game
                      Interesting theory, most players won't come out of the game after a big hit because they don't want to be perceived as weak or whatever, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was groggy and a bit of a mess long before the Umenyiora hit.

Comment

Your frustration at the Bucs fortune makes me happy in a twisted way Blindsite. Mike Williams + Gerald McCoy + J-Free = a happy caddy.

Comment

No write up?

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                            You haven't watched very much football. WRs always claim they've caught the ball, even when they haven't.

While I think the rule is ridiculous and inconsistent with most endzone rules regarding when a score is completed, the rule is pretty clear and he clearly did not meet the requirements for a completed catch.

I don't think the rule is that cut and dry at all. Thought NJX summed up the problem pretty well in one of these threads.
                            Originally posted by SNIPER26
                            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                              Your frustration at the Bucs fortune makes me happy in a twisted way Blindsite. Mike Williams + Gerald McCoy + J-Free = a happy caddy.
                              tiger's leftovers take care of the assistant = happy caddy ;)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information