X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial call in Chicago

Here is a link to the play.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...egatron-non-TD

If Tom Brady or Peyton Manning threw this TD would it be overturned? This play has been discussed in a couple of threads but I wanted to get every ones opinion in one place.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...medium=twitter Q&A with ref Gene Steratore
    "The ruling is that in order for the catch to be completed he has got to maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch.''

He was on his behind before he rolled over. If he stayed on his behind would it have been a touchdown?

"No. We don't play with the two feet or one knee or anything of that scenario. We're talking now about the process of the catch. He's catching the football, as he goes to the ground, he must maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process. So as he continues to fall if he fell with two feet and his elbow hit the ground and came out, it would be incomplete.''

It looked like he had the ball up in one hand while on his rear end, but there was continuation?

"Well, the process was not finished until he finished that roll and the entire process of the catch.''
    Yes
    50.49%
    No
    5.83%
    Not sure
    0.00%
    It was the right call, but don't agree with the rule.
    17.48%
    It was the right call, but they need to change the rule
    17.48%
    The refs should have used common sense
    8.74%

I don't care who is throwing or who is catching or who is winning or who is losing on this play. It's a terrible call. A terrible rule. A terrible ending.

You know what I want to hear from Mike Pereira? Nothing. I want him to shut his ******* mouth, get off the ******* TV and quit ******* around with the ******* rule book. That POS.
    Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
    Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
    I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
    Originally posted by bearsfan_51
    iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
    Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
    I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
    Originally posted by GoRavens
    Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

robbed.

your poll options overlap and 2 of them are the same thing

Comment

It was clear that he caught the ball, fell to the ground, knee down, ass down touchdown called, celebrate.
        Had that official not signaled the TD, I dont think he goes off and celebrates like that (putting the ball down.)
        It is pretty damn clear that they are using a lot of damage control by using such an ambiguously ****** up rule.

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

"The time I stand up here and start blaming officials for a loss is the time I don't need to be doing this anymore," ~ Jim Schwartz

Comment

He never lost possession of the ball. He had control of it after he hit the ground. ESPN and the Lions are just towing the company line by saying it was the right call. Even by definition of their ******** rule, it's a touchdown.

If it's the Colts or Patriots, they might have called it the same way, but you can bet your ass the Pats and Colts wouldn't be laying down so the NFL doesn't look bad. The game would be protested.
            Last edited by nepg; 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

That was a touchdown. Lions got screwed. He clearly caught the ball in the endzone.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                "The time I stand up here and start blaming officials for a loss is the time I don't need to be doing this anymore," ~ Jim Schwartz
                Unlike most of us, Schwartz has to keep that team positive and to go off and point the finger where it deserves to be pointed does nothing to help the Lions football team prepare for next week. You don't think he knows it's a ******** ruling? I think Schwartz knows he can't change what happened anyway.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I voted "common sense".

Firstly, if every second of the game was under the same degree of rule scrutiny as this, games would take all Sunday to finish. 1000 holding calls. 10 offense PI's. You get the idea. Refs have got to go beyond black and white definitions at times and put rulings into some degree of context.

I think the problem here though was it went to review. Had it been called a TD and left at that, noone would have had a second though about it because fans generally use common sense when analyzing ref decisions. A few people may have brought up how it could have been ruled a drop, but it would have been easily accepted as a catch by 99.9%.

But because it went to review, the strictest of strict interpretations had to be pulled out, otherwise it would have been seen as favoring the Lions at a key moment. The key is it shouldn't have went to review. Can even any Bears fans really say they would be upset right now had it not been reviewed?

And I question whether the rule really was applied properly anyway. The quotes from the rule book I've seen referenced for this seem to be fairly open to interpretation. Namely, it mentions what happens when the ball is lost after hitting the ground, but it obviously means much earlier in the process of the catch - say, the initial impact with the ground. In my books, if you put both feet down, hit the ground and still have possession, anything after that is a fumble, which of course can't exist in the end zone.

So I think it was a bad call due to a lack of common sense and a very questionable determination of when the catch was over. The game is too complex to form a realistic rule that will define in clear black and white what should be called in every single situation, so refs have to be left to use some common sense in establishing decisions like this. It's clear the ground rule didn't need to be applied to this particular catch to me because possession was already obtained.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                    He never lost possession of the ball. He had control of it after he hit the ground. ESPN and the Lions are just towing the company line by saying it was the right call. Even by definition of their ******** rule, it's a touchdown.

If it's the Colts or Patriots, they might have called it the same way, but you can bet your ass the Pats and Colts wouldn't be laying down so the NFL doesn't look bad. The game would be protested.
                    WOrst call I've seen in a minute!!!

CJ had possession with the initial catch when both feet came down(!!), he had possession with the ball in one hand when he went to the turf. Never at one point did Megatron not have the ball.

Comment

All because the refs used him using the ball to get up as part of the play.
                      Originally posted by SunTzu_22
                      Just let it go RWO.
                      We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

It was a catch like 4 times over. He catches it, takes two steps, falls to his but, lands on his other forearm, then turns to get up.

But oh, runningbacks can dive from the 5 yard line and touch the line and make the ball fly out, and that's a score.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                          It was a catch like 4 times over. He catches it, takes two steps, falls to his but, lands on his other forearm, then turns to get up.

But oh, runningbacks can dive from the 5 yard line and touch the line and make the ball fly out, and that's a score.
                          hell, a runner can physically run out of bounds himself, as long as the ball passes the line inside the pylon, it's a score.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

The Lions got robbed I don't get how you could not rule that a TD I don't care what the rule is because obviously it ******* blows. A guy can barely break the goal line and the ball flys out but that counts. Hopefully it gets changed but its a little to late for Lion fans.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

I've seen a receiver catch the ball, get 1 (ONE) foot down, then get clobbered and the ball flies out. It's ruled a TD.
                              "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information