Jimmy Clausen is the new Carolina Panthers starting QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Addict View Post
    there is no excuse. It's evolution, it waits for no one.

also, alcohol is no reason for poking a whale.
    Alcohol is a good excuse. When your in college at least. For the rest of your life....it just makes you look like an alcoholic.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
      Alcohol is a good excuse. When your in college at least. For the rest of your life....it just makes you look like an alcoholic.
      one should still maintain a stadard. Or else: acid burns.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
        there is no excuse. It's evolution, it waits for no one.

also, alcohol is no reason for poking a whale.
        You have angered chubby chasers around the globe with this statement!

Comment

I'm a fan of Clausen but would have liked to have seen him sit a year, that said what do they have to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
            I'm a fan of Clausen but would have liked to have seen him sit a year, that said what do they have to lose?
            Eh, I don't think he was the type of QB who needed to sit for a while. I think he could plug in, assuming they run the ball more and take some pressure off of him, and be an effective game manager.

Someone like Locker or Mallett though, I'd like to see them be able to sit wherever they eventually end up. Doubt that happens though with how many teams will need QBs.

Comment

I'm pretty much in favor of sitting any rookie QB a year unless you don't have any other choice or he just flat out earns the job.

Comment

Clausen will prove his haters wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                  In the long run I agree but not this year.

Comment

The QB on their roster who will retire with the most impressive career isn't Moore or Clausen. Tony Pike will be the starter by week 3 next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                      I'm pretty much in favor of sitting any rookie QB a year unless you don't have any other choice or he just flat out earns the job.
                      I disagree completely. Unless it's a situation like Favre/Rodgers or McNabb/Kolb where there's a good long time veteran starter then throw the high draft pick in right away.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                        I disagree completely. Unless it's a situation like Favre/Rodgers or McNabb/Kolb where there's a good long time veteran starter then throw the high draft pick in right away.
                        For every Marino and Big Ben who played great as a rookie, there are several David Carr's who get beat up so badly early in their careers that they become gun shy later on.

It's really a situation by situation basis for me. Someone like Clausen who played a lot in college in a pro style system (ducks and looks around for YFS) on a pro team where they can (if they get out of their own way with playcalling) run the ball well behind a good-great o-line, I say play him.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                          No he won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Miaoww View Post
                            Besides the one of Quinn grabbing that guy's crotch.
                            Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                            On man, I've never seen that one. That one would be worse.

You have now. What is it with Notre Dame QBs and embarrassing pictures?

Last edited by boknows34; 09-20-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

This isn't a bad move by any stretch. Clausen has improved every day he's been under centre and he's been a great team mate, not even a whisper or declension despite Florio suggesting otherwise.

This season is going to tank and it's largely due to the labour issues the Panthers haven't spent any money on upgrading the areas they sorely needed to.

It sucks but it's life.

The team as a whole is the youngest in the NFL IIRC and the Panthers may have been competitive if everything came together and still might but it's just not there.

The move is a good one, it'll force the coaching staff into smarter game plans something that was obviously lacking the past two weeks and hopefully provide a spark for the offensive line to play better than they did in past weeks. The Offensive line hasn't been great but Moore was holding the ball too long making them look worse than they are, Moore is something I can't explain he looked great last year, did everything right, he's faltering now.

My support is behind Clausen and I'm happy to support him for 2 years at least behind center before I declare "he won't prove anyone wrong" like some mouth breathers like to. He's in a familiar offense with good run game support he can't do any worse than Moore did the first two weeks. Cincinnati has a good secondary so it's a big test, but based on his familiarity with the offense Carolina uses (he used the same on at Notre D) he shouldn't need as much coddling as most rookies.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                                For every Marino and Big Ben who played great as a rookie, there are several David Carr's who get beat up so badly early in their careers that they become gun shy later on.

It's really a situation by situation basis for me. Someone like Clausen who played a lot in college in a pro style system (ducks and looks around for YFS) on a pro team where they can (if they get out of their own way with playcalling) run the ball well behind a good-great o-line, I say play him.
                                You can just as easily argue that David Carr sucked ass from the start. It's no coincidence that the guy who replaced him when he finally got hurt ended up moving the ball really well, and that Matt Schaub is now lighting it up. Sure, the offensive line has gotten better, but most of the time when there are consistent, season-long or more protection issues, at least half of the blame has to lie with the quarterback. Maybe he's not mobile enough to step up in the pocket, maybe he isn't making reads quickly enough, maybe he doesn't have enough faith in his protection and leaves the pocket too early(as a former OL that was a big pet peeve. I can't block the DE in front of me if he knows where the QB is and I don't). For whatever reason, it seems to be the case. Look at the improvement in Dallas' offense after switching to Romo from Bledsoe. Look at how much better Philly's offense looked with Vick running it than Kolb.

Even on the Bears, look at how bad that offensive line is and then look at how few sacks have been given up so far. Jay is insane at avoiding sacks. Orton isn't even that bad at it, but the difference is huge and can be seen easily.

Anyway I agree with GB, I think that some guys have it, and some guys don't. I'd rather find out right away and cut my losses after 2-3 years than have him sit for 2, then all of a sudden he's only started for a season or 2 and it's time to renew his contract but we're not sure if he's ever gonna fix his stuff.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                                Originally posted by njx9
                                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information