Jimmy Clausen is the new Carolina Panthers starting QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
    You can just as easily argue that David Carr sucked ass from the start. It's no coincidence that the guy who replaced him when he finally got hurt ended up moving the ball really well, and that Matt Schaub is now lighting it up. Sure, the offensive line has gotten better, but most of the time when there are consistent, season-long or more protection issues, at least half of the blame has to lie with the quarterback. Maybe he's not mobile enough to step up in the pocket, maybe he isn't making reads quickly enough, maybe he doesn't have enough faith in his protection and leaves the pocket too early(as a former OL that was a big pet peeve. I can't block the DE in front of me if he knows where the QB is and I don't). For whatever reason, it seems to be the case. Look at the improvement in Dallas' offense after switching to Romo from Bledsoe. Look at how much better Philly's offense looked with Vick running it than Kolb.

Even on the Bears, look at how bad that offensive line is and then look at how few sacks have been given up so far. Jay is insane at avoiding sacks. Orton isn't even that bad at it, but the difference is huge and can be seen easily.

Anyway I agree with GB, I think that some guys have it, and some guys don't. I'd rather find out right away and cut my losses after 2-3 years than have him sit for 2, then all of a sudden he's only started for a season or 2 and it's time to renew his contract but we're not sure if he's ever gonna fix his stuff.
    I tend to agree with this sentiment. Word is that Fox win lose or draw this season is leaving and it's apparently mutual the brass doesn't want him 100% and he doesn't want to be there 100%.

He gives Clausen a shot and the organization finds out of he can play or not. If he can and he plays well even if his stat line isn't great they can promote Davidson, and either promote Scherer (QB coach) or another guy from that NE offense tree.

Clausen sucks terribly gut everyone not on the defensive side of the ball and use the first round pick next year (likely a top 10 anyway) to draft whomever the hell they want at QB. The offensive line has talent even if they haven't done well without Otah as yet and a good set of running backs anyway.

Carolina if nothing else has talent on both sides of the ball and solid pieces to build around so if all else fails they can bring in someone who only has to put it together and find that QB and it's ok, if that QB is on the roster then might as well find out now in a season that's already tanking.

Comment

I wish Clausen g/l, but I am sure glad the Rams took Bradford.

Comment

With Rookie QBs I think the only proven is that it's something of a crapshoot. See how either looks in 3 years before making judgment imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
          What the ****? That is gross, if you are the starting QB at Notre Dame that should get you kicked off the team and/or capital punishment.
          Well someone did give him a shiner on campus............

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
            For every Marino and Big Ben who played great as a rookie, there are several David Carr's who get beat up so badly early in their careers that they become gun shy later on.

It's really a situation by situation basis for me. Someone like Clausen who played a lot in college in a pro style system (ducks and looks around for YFS) on a pro team where they can (if they get out of their own way with playcalling) run the ball well behind a good-great o-line, I say play him.
            Weis' ND offense mightve toed the line more than some would think when in comes to pro principles, but in fairness the Carolina offense is basically a high school offense. Run, run, run, run, lob the ball to the 1 good receiver on your team, run.

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
              Weis' ND offense mightve toed the line more than some would think when in comes to pro principles, but in fairness the Carolina offense is basically a high school offense. Run, run, run, run, lob the ball to the 1 good receiver on your team, run.
              Well that is what you'd think they'd do. Doesn't seem to be the case though.....Maybe that changes with a rookie in at QB.

Comment

We ran on first down on the first 9 possessions against the Bucs. They pass when they lose the lead. Now, the OC has the intelligence of a high schooler so he abandons the run too early but the preference is to go to ground 60+% of the time

In Moore's starts last year the breakdown was:

20 pass, 33 run
                30 pass, 24 run (loss)
                33 pass, 40 run
                20 pass, 46 run
                23 pass, 37 run

Comment

This year it hasn't been close to that which is a shame. I think they're missing Otah more than we know and the line, whatever the stat sheet says has been shuffled a rotated a little bit on game day.

From the centre left it's solid as a rock but from the RG to RT position it's lacking a little firepower, Otah should help change that but we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by boknows34 View Post
                    You have now. What is it with Notre Dame QBs and embarrassing pictures?

Brady Quinn approves of this post

Also...

Comment

Originally posted by armageddon View Post
                      I wish Clausen g/l, but I am sure glad the Rams took Bradford.
                      well yes they're obviously not of the same caliber. That's like saying I wish some second round DT all the best but I'm glad the Lions drafted Suh.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                        wait all three of us? yeah. i can't wait till we're proved wrong either. that would SO serve us right for not licking the nuts of every notre dame qb who comes out.

otherwise, all the morons who think that he's better than brady quinn can make the same excuses they made for quinn until it's finally clear that he's garbage as a player.

ad hom sure is fun.
                        there is a difference between not licking nuts and blind, irrational hate. Which is what many show at this point.

hyperboles are a great amount of fun as well.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                          to be fair, i was hyperbolizing to enhance the ad hom.
                          you've just blown my mind.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Soooo yeah....Jimmy gonna win.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                              well yes they're obviously not of the same caliber. That's like saying I wish some second round DT all the best but I'm glad the Lions drafted Suh.
                              Huh. I must have watched two different QBs in college then. I'd have taken Clausen over Bradford.

Comment

Originally posted by Miaoww View Post
                                Huh. I must have watched two different QBs in college then. I'd have taken Clausen over Bradford.
                                which is why you aren't employed by an NFL team.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information