Troy Polamalu > Darrelle Revis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
    not enough to be DPOY, thats what 2 years in a row. Getting all hyped up for nothing.
    You're right. Revis is all hype, he actually sucks.

Comment

• No need to take it to extremes.
      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by gsorace View Post
        You're right. Revis is all hype, he actually sucks.
        If you say so, boss.

Comment

If you say so, boss.
          Injuries?.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Revis is "making a play" every snap.
            So does Nmamdi. What they do is prevent plays. So do good LT's, and NT's.

Polamalu makes plays, plays that win games.
            Congrats to Polamalu for winning the award.

Comment

not enough to be DPOY, thats what 2 years in a row. Getting all hyped up for nothing.
              Eh, i'd say he certainly did enough last year. It is up for debate, but i'm not alone in that opinion. What was the vote last year? I'm not sure close it was, but regardless, a few AP personnel making a call doesn't change anything in my eyes, as i watched every game and saw what he did.

Saying 'getting all hyped up for nothing' is pure stupidity. It is actually longer than 2 years also, if you want to count all the years he hasn't won it. His play speaks for itself. This year he didn't warrant it. Congrats to Troy, but don't post like an arrogant dumbass.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
              You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• Pretty much^^^

Revis is still an elite CB. I don't think he was ever in the discussion of DPOY this year but he's definitely a top two CB. You can debate Revis vs Nmandi all you want but everyone is pretty much in agreement that they're the top dogs of their position.

I do think Taz deserved it. The dude was everywhere and changed outcomes of games noticeably. To the point where you can pin point to that exact play that won the game for the Steelers (strip sack on BAL). I'm sure being able to do that helped his case a lot.
                -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                  Pretty much^^^

Revis is still an elite CB. I don't think he was ever in the discussion of DPOY this year but he's definitely a top two CB. You can debate Revis vs Nmandi all you want but everyone is pretty much in agreement that they're the top dogs of their position.

I do think Taz deserved it. The dude was everywhere and changed outcomes of games noticeably. To the point where you can pin point to that exact play that won the game for the Steelers (strip sack on BAL). I'm sure being able to do that helped his case a lot.
                  Devin McCourty has disappoint in you!!!!

But seriously I don't put much stock into who gets DPOY and whether that makes someone better than another player who doesnt win it. It is all objective. Is it more important to make plays on the ball or to eliminate completely a team's best option? In the same way, is it more important to force turnovers or pressure the QB?

Revis in the Steelers defense isn't the same player he is at the moment. The Jets defense is built to try and force teams to throw at him. Even with Cromartie opposite, Ryan trys to rotate coverage more away from Revis and still expects him to lock his man down. In any other defense it wouldn't be quite as noticeable. For example if Revis was drafted by a cover 2 team we wouldn't be talking about him as the best CB in the game.

In the same way, Polamalu in the Jets defense probably doesn't have the same impact as he does now because he wouldn't be able to freelance as much. The Steelers can rush the passer without blitzing, therefore allowing the Steelers to drop more in coverage and allow Troy to make plays on the ball. If he has to play the Jim Leonhard role for the Jets he makes less plays IMO but doesn't give up as many either.

Realistically both players are in perfect situations which allow them to be top, top players. It is just preference who you think is better.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• man people don't take jokes well.

Interwebzz is serouiszz business.

Comment

• Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                      In the same way, Polamalu in the Jets defense probably doesn't have the same impact as he does now because he wouldn't be able to freelance as much. The Steelers can rush the passer without blitzing, therefore allowing the Steelers to drop more in coverage and allow Troy to make plays on the ball. If he has to play the Jim Leonhard role for the Jets he makes less plays IMO but doesn't give up as many either.
                      There's an irony to this as one of the things I was worried about when the Jets hired Rex Ryan was what he was going to do WITHOUT the elite freelancing safety he had for all of those years as the defensive coordinator in Baltimore. I have a hard time believing given that Rex Ryan couldn't integrate him into the Jets defense with at the very least a similar role to the one he has now.

On the flipside, Revis might not be the cornerback he is on the Jets if he were on the Steelers, but I think he too would be pretty close. After all, he still would be able to shut down the opposing teams top receiver, and you'd still be able to move him all over the field in order to cover whoever the opposing quarterback was getting in a rhythm with in the passing game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                        There's an irony to this as one of the things I was worried about when the Jets hired Rex Ryan was what he was going to do WITHOUT the elite freelancing safety he had for all of those years as the defensive coordinator in Baltimore. I have a hard time believing given that Rex Ryan couldn't integrate him into the Jets defense with at the very least a similar role to the one he has now.

On the flipside, Revis might not be the cornerback he is on the Jets if he were on the Steelers, but I think he too would be pretty close. After all, he still would be able to shut down the opposing teams top receiver, and you'd still be able to move him all over the field in order to cover whoever the opposing quarterback was getting in a rhythm with in the passing game.
                        If he played for Pittsburgh, I would imagine he'd have much higher target numbers. And that wouldn't come through any fault of his own.

I've said this quite a bit, but Pittsburgh really only runs two coverages: cover six and cover two (and even then, they run cover six far more than cover two). They basically concede flats, outs, curls...anything short and to the outside quardrants. As a result, their corners are often amongst the most targeted in the league.

That's why I always say stats aren't always created equally. Statistics in football don't exist in a vacuum like in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                          If he played for Pittsburgh, I would imagine he'd have much higher target numbers. And that wouldn't come through any fault of his own.

I've said this quite a bit, but Pittsburgh really only runs two coverages: cover six and cover two (and even then, they run cover six far more than cover two). They basically concede flats, outs, curls...anything short and to the outside quardrants. As a result, their corners are often amongst the most targeted in the league.

That's why I always say stats aren't always created equally. Statistics in football don't exist in a vacuum like in baseball.
                          +1

people ***** and moan about the corners playing so far off all the time, but its always just a disguise and basically begging a team to throw to the flats.

the steelers corners are not bad, they are very very good tacklers and thats why what they do works.

william **** first year as our NB he led the league in least yards allowed per reception and mcfadden has always been one of the better tacklers in the league....on the stat sheet roddy white raped him with like 13 catches for 100 and some yards but white really did nothing.

and ike is easily the best out of the bunch in coverage and run support
                          E]

Comment

• It seems like only Ike is the one that plays bump man, while BMac and *** play the zone coverages. Good strategy IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information