Troy Polamalu > Darrelle Revis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    Yea, no. The Eagles were never as good as the Bucs defenses.

But John Lynch was definitely not one of the 3 best safeties of the 2000s.
    The top 3 defenses of the 2000s, meaning over the course of the decade. Those defenses were the Ravens, Steelers and Eagles. Under Jim Johnson, the Eagles have ranked near the top in almost every important defensive category in the last decade. Since 2000 (these numbers are from 7/24/09), the Eagles have been second in sacks (390), tied for second in tackles for a loss (457), second in forced fumbles (159), second in red zone efficiency (43.9 percent), and second in third down efficiency (34 percent). During the Johnson era, the Eagles have finished fourth in the NFL in points allowed -- just 17.7 per game. The Eagles were one of the top 3 defenses of the decade.

Comment

if u guy by specific years though the top 3 defenses would be 2000 Ravens, 2001 Bucs, and i guess 2008 Steelers. the steelers definetly had a elite S. The Ravens not so much, and IDK if you could consider Lynch elite in 2001, I honestly dont really remember. The Ravens and Bucs had very good Safety play, but IDK if I would have considered Lynch and Woodson elite in those years.
      Last edited by Ravens1991; 09-25-2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        I still maintain that a healthy Aaron Smith is more important to the Pitt D than Troy. The two years he's gone down, their defense has turned into an absolute sieve. Troy P was playing when Smith went down in 2007 and their defense was abysmal going down the stretch. Same goes for last year, where he only played in two games.
        This guy knows what he is talking about. Aaron Smith is the key to our D.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
          I agree with you.

also: Safeties are more important than corners? When did this happen?
          They have the best view.

I think even Revis the Jets' D would blow minds and set records if it had a great free safety...I think the Steelers would really, really love a great corner and I know they wanted Revis when he was coming out despite having Troy P...sooo...really it's not such a big deal after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
            I agree with you.

also: Safeties are more important than corners? When did this happen?
            i still dont quite get where the Revis hype comes from

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
              he's good, but I just think Nnamdi is better. I guess the thing is Revis works in NYC and Nnamdi in Oakland. Big difference.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Because he was awesome last year? Dude was left on an island, targeted a whole bunch of times, and allowed a ridiculously small number of those attempts to be completed. He had a great season for a cornerback.

Comment

FWIW I think Safeties are more valuable than CBs. I'm not understanding the CB love lately. A CB duo is only as strong as the weakest link. I know having Revis there allows the Jets to do a ton of stuff with rotating the coverage to the other side, but if the guys on the other side can't cover, that doesn't do a whole lot of good.

To see the impact of a safety, just look at Polamalu. He's pretty much everything to that defense. I don't think it's a coincidence that where you find a great safety, there is usually a great defense. That doesn't work the other way. In the years before last season when Champ, and then Nnamdi after that, were considered the best CBs, the Broncos and Raiders weren't consistently putting dominant defenses out there.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

I definitely value corners more then safties. Revis literally erases the other teams best receiver from the game.

Troy is a different type of difference maker. He creates turnovers and really makes the defense complete. He may not shut down an individual player, but he is the piece that makes this defense elite.

I wouldn't tray Troy for any defensive player.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                      Because he was awesome last year? Dude was left on an island, targeted a whole bunch of times, and allowed a ridiculously small number of those attempts to be completed. He had a great season for a cornerback.
                      he had a great pass rush, a lot of help on top actually and still was targeted 100 times

Comment

he had a great pass rush, a lot of help on top actually and still was targeted 100 times
                        And barely allowed any catches. That would seem to be the most vital piece of information you're ignoring.

Comment

IIRC, out of those hundred times, thirty something were completions, which is a far lower percentage than anyone who played enough to make it a valid comparison.

Against guys like Reggie Wayne, Terrell Owens, Chad OchoCinco, Andre Johnson and Randy Moss.

You don't understand the hype? Really? It's fairly cut and dry.
                          Last edited by Crickett; 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Nnamdi was targeted 100 times the last three seasons altogether, you dont hear nearly enough about him anywhere

Comment

Nnamdi was targeted 100 times the last three seasons altogether, you dont hear nearly enough about him anywhere
                              Asomugha is a concensus top three NFL conrerback. Yes we do.

Comment

on this board, yes. but you heard about Revis every single day the whole season + offseason, you hardly heard that about Nnamdi this last 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information