Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week 3 Write Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Even SMith's "flashes" were him throwing up a lame duck that Vernon Davis went up and snagged, hitting a wide open Crabtree, and checking down to Gore running in the flats.

    After that, it was missed short swing passes, high throws that got tipped into interceptions, etc.

    I felt like Alex's "best game of his career" was more poor tackling and coverage by the Saints.
    Originally posted by SNIPER26
    fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

    Comment


    • #47
      While I think he's the perfect example of how not to bring along a young QB I think it's time the 49ers cut their losses well and truly where he's concerned.

      Comment


      • #48
        I think if a guy is ever going to be a great QB, he'll get it eventually. Hell, Drew Brees looked terrible for a while too, but at some point, changing situations or not, we're going to see significant stretches of brilliance.

        You can't ruin a great QB unless he gets hurt.
        Originally posted by SNIPER26
        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
          Guys, Alex Smith sucks, why are we still trying to make this into something it isn't??

          He's smart in a classroom, but he's dumbfounded as a football player, with a mediocre arm, and spotty accuracy. He can run a little bit.
          You're right, his performance on the field has been underwhelming, and if you check back and actually read my post, you will notice that I said absolutely nothing about his actual on the field play. I praised his character as an individual because there are 20 examples I can name off the top of my head who handled themselves horribly in much better situations then Smith did, but all he's done since he's been in the league is shut his mouth, take his lumps (some deserved, many not), and worked hard to try and turn that franchise around. I mean, the franchise didn't even give him a legitimate #1 target until last season... say what you will about Vernon Davis, but he was raw coming out and he wasn't what a young QB like Smith needed. The offensive line was atrocious and he didn't even have a solid defense to lean on like Flacco did.

          I agree that he isn't a great QB by any means, but the way he's handled himself and the adversity surrounding himself is very admirable.
          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
          The APS is strong in this one.
          Originally posted by killxswitch
          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
            I think if a guy is ever going to be a great QB, he'll get it eventually. Hell, Drew Brees looked terrible for a while too, but at some point, changing situations or not, we're going to see significant stretches of brilliance.

            You can't ruin a great QB unless he gets hurt.
            This is idiotic. Of course you can ruin a QB without getting him hurt. Constantly switching OC's and system prevents him from ever settling into a comfortable situation. Not giving him an oline can absolutely destroy a QB's confidence and leave him gun-shy (see Carr, David and Edwards, Trent). Not giving him adequate playmakers at skill positions can leave him with nowhere to throw the ball and no one to make plays. A porous defense leaves a young QB on the field longer and constantly puts the pressure on him to throw the ball and play catch up. Letting the media continually blame him for the front office's inadequacies can leave him questioning himself and his methods, which is the worst thing that can happen to a QB, especially since moxy and confidence are so important to the position.

            Guess who had all of those things happen to him? Alex Smith. Guess who had none of those things happen to him? Aaron Rodgers. You want to see how you can ruin a young QB? Look no further then those two. And if you think they would of evolved into the players they are now in reversed situations, then you should probably start wearing a helmet around because its only a matter of time before you hurt yourself.
            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
            The APS is strong in this one.
            Originally posted by killxswitch
            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

            Comment


            • #51
              So how many guys were destined to be pro bowlers, but got ruined by bad coaching?
              Originally posted by SNIPER26
              fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                The Browns gave him a lot of carries, blocked it up nicely, and let Hillis do the work. He went downhill and didn't do anything flashy. The gameplan was nice and executed very well. Hillis is no joke, but he is the kind of back who needs touches to get going and keep rolling.
                What did he get about 6 ypc? It really tells me a lot about that offensive line as much as anything else. To me the Ravens are the toughest team out there to run on, numbers may prove otherewise.

                Hillis is an interesting story, he never got the carries at Arkansas because of McFadden and Jones but he always seemed a good ballcarrier. A couple of seasons ago he seemed headed for a 1000 yards before an injury put him on the shelf. I'll let someone like njx9 tell me why he was given up on there in favor of drafting Moreno out of Georgia in the first round.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                  So how many guys were destined to be pro bowlers, but got ruined by bad coaching?
                  Theoretically? Tons of them. It isn't just coaching, it's a combination of things, many of which I posted on the page before. I'm a firm believer that the situation that a prospect goes into has a huge effect on the player that they will become. What's the difference between Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith? Its a capable offensive line, dynamic receivers, and a consistency within a system. I do understand that Rodger's offensive line hasn't been stellar, but it's been better then what Smith suffered through after being thrown to the wolves as a rookie. Whats the difference between David Carr or Tim Couch and Carson Palmer? Its the same thing. Yes, there are undoubtedly players and people who are exceptions to these circumstances, but all in all it has a HUGE effect on the way these guys develop. Thinking otherwise is just ridiculous.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    EDIT: Wrong thread.



                    Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
                    I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                      Theoretically? Tons of them. It isn't just coaching, it's a combination of things, many of which I posted on the page before. I'm a firm believer that the situation that a prospect goes into has a huge effect on the player that they will become. What's the difference between Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith? Its a capable offensive line, dynamic receivers, and a consistency within a system. I do understand that Rodger's offensive line hasn't been stellar, but it's been better then what Smith suffered through after being thrown to the wolves as a rookie. Whats the difference between David Carr or Tim Couch and Carson Palmer? Its the same thing. Yes, there are undoubtedly players and people who are exceptions to these circumstances, but all in all it has a HUGE effect on the way these guys develop. Thinking otherwise is just ridiculous.

                      I know what you mean, sometimes injuries or whatever get in the way. Id be starting at Texas at WR if i hadnt blown out my knee playin wii tennis
                      Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                      Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
                        I know what you mean, sometimes injuries or whatever get in the way. Id be starting at Texas at WR if i hadnt blown out my knee playin wii tennis
                        So, you're on the team ......?

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          IMO, if Alex Smith fell under the category of great talent hampered by bad coaching, he'd be better than he is. He'd show more flashes than he's shown, he'd take the team on his back and make plays regardless of what's around him. He may not have had the best situation, but coaches aren't the ones making poor reads, and being unable to deliver the ball the way it needs to be delivered. THAT is what separates Aaron Rodgers from Alex Smith. A-Rod can make every throw accurately, Alex can't. A-Rod regularly makes the right read based on the defense, Alex doesn't.


                          Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                          Originally posted by njx9
                          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            exactly. Great QBs are great at some point.
                            Originally posted by SNIPER26
                            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Splat View Post
                              This man has been playing like a young Ty Law.

                              It's ridiculous how underrated Brandon Flowers still is.
                              Currently on IR: Rip 2011 Jamaal Charles :(

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
                                It's ridiculous how underrated Brandon Flowers still is.
                                I've got a lot of love for him and have done since he was a rookie it's a shame he's not more widely recognised but I dare say if the chiefs play continues it won't be long.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information