Week 4 Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
    I'm tired of ESPN playing up the whole "oh boo hoo poor Donovan Mcnabb was not tweeted wight by the mean Eagles!"

Yeah, poor Donovan was made the #2 overall Draft pick by the Eagles, despite it not being a popular pick. They also committed to him for a decade and gave him at least one huge extension.

"but, but the fans booed poor Donovan!"

So what? It wasn't all Eagles fans that were booing him, for one thing. NFL players aren't entitles to be constantly praised while they make millions to play a game. They can deal with booing and criticism. Especially if they're amnong the leagues highest paid players.

Donovan should be glad he got to work for a decade with the Eagles and Andy Reid. He might not have been so successful for any other NFL team.
    Do you say things like this just to try and start arguments?

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
      I'm going to call two upsets...Detroit's going to beat the Packers and the Browns are going to pull one out from under Cincinnati.

The Jets with Sanchez the Terrible will be 3-1. I'm liking this guy more and more every week...and he's doing it with the worst playcalling offensive coordinator in the history of playcalling offensive coordinators.
      I already laid $250 on the Browns +3.5 with my sports book. Really like them to potentially even win outright.

I also like Detroit to cover +14.5, but I don't see them winning with Shawn Hill and an injured Best.

Jets also might win, but Buffalo is tough at home. Should be interesting.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Re: The Eagles-Skins game and McNabb's return. ESPN is making it a story because they think it will get eyeballs and mouse clicks. The network is incredibly good at knowing what people are going to be interested in and over-doing the coverage. Just look at their "Heat Index", a page they opened just to write stuff about the Miami Heat and LeBron/Wade/Bosh. I personally don't care, but people seem to love it, so they're capitalizing.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Oh Stafford isn't playing? I take that back then. They'll probably cover that...

I'll switch to Oakland upsetting the Texans.

Comment

Does anyone think McNabb would have done just as well playing for any team as he did with the Eagles. Have you noticed that QBs always seem to play well for the Reid led Eagles. Whether it's McNabb, Garcia, Feeley, Doug Peterson, Vick or whoever, they always get quality play from the QB position. I'm not saying McNabb would have been a bust everywhere else, just that the Eagles knew how to get the best out of him.

Comment

Cause Kevin Kolb looked so great that they gave him all of two quarters to start. Oh yeah and Mcnabb is playing terribly in Washington right now. (insert eye roll here).

Originally posted by WMD
              Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
              Originally posted by gpngc
              I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                Does anyone think McNabb would have done just as well playing for any team as he did with the Eagles. Have you noticed that QBs always seem to play well for the Reid led Eagles. Whether it's McNabb, Garcia, Feeley, Doug Peterson, Vick or whoever, they always get quality play from the QB position. I'm not saying McNabb would have been a bust everywhere else, just that the Eagles knew how to get the best out of him.
                Look at the other QB's taken in the first round of the 1999 draft:

Tim Couch, first ever pick of an expansion franchise with no OLine and minimal talent. He got beaten up, never learned to throw to the right side of the field, and he ended up washing out due to injuries and never really having a shot.

Akili Smith. #3 to the Bengals, who had some interesting weapons, but a dysfunctional locker room and coaching situation. Smith was also over-drafted based on combine numbers and only 1 year of starting at Oregon. He was the first of several Tedford QB's to be drafted high and never pan out in the NFL. He couldn't read defenses, had horrible mechanics, and a bad work ethic. Washed out pretty quick.

Duante Culpepper. #11 to the Vikings. He came into a pretty stable situation on a veteran team that had 3 strong receivers (Jake Reed, Chris Carter, and a young Randy Moss). He performed very well for about 5 years before the team kind of fell apart, then he tore up his knee and didn't work hard enough in rehab. Now pretty much out of football.

Cade McNown. #12 to the Bears. Questionable arm strength, questionable leadership. Never won over his teammates. Got injured really easily. Washed out within 4 years.

Now McNabb. Went #2 overall to the Eagles. Was very accomplished running a pro style O at Syracuse. Very good athlete, amazing arm strength. Great leadership and work ethic. Questionable mechanics and accuracy. The Eagles had 2 very good OT's in Runyan and Thomas and used the OLine to protect him. They tailored the O to his talents. They worked with him a lot on mechanics, but McNabb was an extremely hard worker. He was tough. He played through injuries (like playing an entire half on a broken fibula). He had success because of system and opportunity and hard work.

In my opinion, McNabb would have been successful for the Eagles, Vikings, and Bears. The Cinci and Cleveland environments were just toxic and wouldn't have allowed any of these QB's to succeed.

Comment

Looking forward to a W this week....im not too worried about the Run D...and well out Secondary minus Parish Cox getting torched by collie all game has been stellar and champ is playing top flight this season.

And out Offence against their D is going to be fun to watch orton pick them apart

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Bronco27 View Post
                    Looking forward to a W this week....im not too worried about the Run D...and well out Secondary minus Parish Cox getting torched by collie all game has been stellar and champ is playing top flight this season.

And out Offence against their D is going to be fun to watch orton pick them apart
                    I hope Denver wins. If there's a team more overrated than the Packers, it's the Titans.

I'm so bored of hearing how underrated Jeff Fisher is. He's not. He's a good coach that works for a franchise smart enough to not fire their coach everytime something goes even slightly wrong. If he was the Jets' coach he would have been fired after year 3 of no SB.

OTOH...Josh McDaniels is the f'n man. Find me a better under-40 offensive mind in the league...it's unpossible.

Comment

OTOH...Josh McDaniels is the f'n man. Find me a better under-40 offensive mind in the league...it's unpossible.
                      If he were only an OC who could just call plays and develop talent....he'd be great. But him being a HC......eesh. He's banking everything long term on Tebow and Thomas, and that defensive front 7 still has nothing outside of Dumervil. They're going to need to draft/sign some younger, more talented guys, especially along the d-line, if they want to do anything long term.

Comment

You just critizied "The Stache" and praised McDaniels? ......I don't respect you much as a person.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
                        I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                          Re: The Eagles-Skins game and McNabb's return. ESPN is making it a story because they think it will get eyeballs and mouse clicks. The network is incredibly good at knowing what people are going to be interested in and over-doing the coverage. Just look at their "Heat Index", a page they opened just to write stuff about the Miami Heat and LeBron/Wade/Bosh. I personally don't care, but people seem to love it, so they're capitalizing.

ESPN isn't making it a story though, I know ESPN sucks but come on, their job is to report the biggest stories in sports.

Can find another bigger story then McNabb returning to Philly, playing on a division rival, with the emergence of Mike Vick playing so well in Philly? If so, what is it? That's like saying ESPN was trying to make Favre's return to GB a story, well no because it was a really big story and interesting.

Everyone wanted to see this game, even we all did here. I'm surprised it wasn't a Monday nighter, but I don't know why everyone is acting like ESPN is making a story out of nothing, it is a really big story and I'm not sure why anyone thinks otherwise.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                            If he were only an OC who could just call plays and develop talent....he'd be great. But him being a HC......eesh. He's banking everything long term on Tebow and Thomas, and that defensive front 7 still has nothing outside of Dumervil. They're going to need to draft/sign some younger, more talented guys, especially along the d-line, if they want to do anything long term.
                            If there's any single coach I'd trust to turning Tim Tebow into a real QB it's McDaniels.

I'm taking a wait and see on him as a HC...I'm that high on him as a coach in general. I really don't think there's a better under 40 coach in the league better than him, offensive or defensive.

Seriously, the only thing keeping me from saying something crazy like "I wish he was the Jets' head coach" is that Ryan hasn't been around long enough for Jets Nation to turn on him.

Comment

"Me fail English? That's unpossible. -Ralph Wiggum
                              Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                              Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                              Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                                "Me fail English? That's unpossible. -Ralph Wiggum
                                One of the best lines ever...I type unpossible all the time because of that joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information