No announcement yet.

WTF Buffalo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Each new regime drafted their own running back.

Tom Donahoe - Willis McGahee (Donahoe wasn't new, but you get my point)
    Marv Levy/Jauron - Marshawn Lynch
    Buddy Nix - CJ Spiller

Originally Posted by scottyboy
    my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
    But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

I'm putting my money on Buffalo signing Jared Gaither this offseason to play LT.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
        McKelvin has looked like our best CB this year, easily.

You sound much too comfortable with what we have on offense. There's very little there.
        Dude just needs to keep it up for a whole season which is going to be hard with that non-existent pass rush.

As for the offense I think Spiller's going to be a huge weapon, Fast Freddie is a great #2 option and Marshawn will either give them another mid round pick or will give them a bigger and tougher runner. Add to that that I loved both Woods and Levitre coming out and I think any rookie they bring in will benefit greatly from that running game already in place especially if the interior OL keeps improving.

As for the passing game there's massive gaps at LT and QB, otherwise I think it's solid. Evans has been suffering from a lack of a quality QB for a long time and IMO is comparable to younger Santana Moss, a guy who's still got the talent to be a go to receiver but has been playing with trash for a while now and hasn't been at his best in years. Roscoe Parrish is quick slot guy but Stevie Johnson is actually the guy who I think is going to become a starter as he reminds me a lot of a slightly better running Amani Toomer.

That's not a great set up, but if Locker is that franchise guy and they can get him for that scheme I think whose WRs will be more than sufficient, doesn't hurt that at TE Nelson still has boatloads of athletic ability. A formation that I think would let them do a lot of what they want to do, would have Nelson split out wide, Johnson across from him with Evans in the slot on Johnson's side and Spiller coming out of the backfield to the TE side. Sure they could also use one of the young stud WRs to learn from Evans while he's still got it and to step in once he's slowed down, but that's not a pressing need the way finding a franchise QB, LT and passrusher is. If they find that franchise guy and at least one tackle who can protect that offense could turning around quick.

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
        Parrish isn't a #2 receiver, IMO. But he is a decent, to above-average slot guy. The past regime(s) never utilized his skillset. I think he's the Bills' leading receiver in receptions and yards right now. Stevie Johnson looks like he has potential to be an adequate #2 guy. Yes, he has had drops here and there, but he has made some nice catches over the past few seasons (preseason included).

TE Shawn Nelson was also another guy who showed at least some promise last season. He hasn't played at all this year due to his suspension, so we'll see what he's got starting against Jacksonville next week. He is a good receiving option, but his blocking abilities weren't great, which was his major knock coming out of college. We haven't been able to see if he's improved in that regard, so once again, we'll have to wait for week 5.

Levitre and Wood look to be promising guards, while they both have their fair share of mental lapses. Wood looked much better last season, but I wasn't expecting him to be in top playing shape after coming off of his broken leg. Hangartner is a servicable center - not great, but not terrible. Cornell Green is a turnstyle over at right tackle, and I have no idea why he hasn't been taken out of the starting lineup. Bell at LT has shown flashes, but other times he's just downright terrible, especially in run-blocking. I am more down on him than many other Bills fans so you may not want my opinion on him.

But regarding the Kelsay extension... ughh.
        He is absolutely terrible in the 3-4. His athleticism is terrible, and he's not getting any younger. It's a joke watching him try to do man-to-man, and he takes ridiculously bad angles on running plays. I've seen him forget to seal off the cutback to the outside, as he moved inside between the NT and DE, allowing the RB (who I can't remember who) bounce right to the outside and get a nice chunk of yardage. I guess I can see the extension as a leadership thing and not wanting to create another hole when we have as many as we do, but at least make it a 2 year extension or something so we dont have to take on his contract for 4 years. Maybe fill one OLB position in this year's draft, then another next year. By the time the third year rolls around, Kelsay is gone and the two new OLBs are groomed and ready to go. But I guess having a 34 year old, former DE play OLB is a better option.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
        Originally posted by JBCX
        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by bam bam View Post
          I'm putting my money on Buffalo signing Jared Gaither this offseason to play LT.
          I would love it if he came in and played, my worry is that he would come in take the money and turn into derrick dockery... Injuries with him would be a concern too, but he would be a great option if he stayed healthy and played to his potential.
          "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

I couldn't stand Aaron Maybin coming out. Especially after the combine. It's still early, but it's not looking good right now.

To be fair, I generally dislike Penn State players. Especially their LBs.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
              Plus they could still use a lot of help on defense too. They have a lot of stop-gaps and bad fits filling out their 3-4...they could use a host of young guys to step up and a lot of talent there too.

I give him 2.5 years.
              Very true They do need help defensively, but like the offensive line last year (tackles were the problem, not the hole line), I would like to clarify where, agian this is my opinion.
              Defensively this team needs Carrington to figure it out and take over for Stroud, who continually continues to disappoint. But other than some depth behind him they are actually looking good upfront if Troup can be what they thought he can be, and Williams backing him up, and come in on passing downs, Spencer is a capable rotational/depth player behind Edwards who has been good, although he has not been getting the penetration they would like.
              The secondary is set (It aint broke, please dont "fix it").
              LB is clearly the glaring need and this is just my opinion. Posluszny is the only part of the puzzle on the roster moving forward at one of the two ILB spots. Mitchell might be, but there is some writing on the wall (one year left on his contract next year, missed 11 games last season, and is missing this season) that he might not be here moving forward... Hopefully the signing of Kelsey is just a leadership/show the young guys how to do it right thing, because it certainly is not a talent/postion fit move. At this point he and Ellis IMO have not proven they are capable OLB's in a 3-4 on the strong side, behind Poz is Ellison who is a 4-3 guy, out of position and I think an excellent back up on a team like the Bears (veteren presence, capable back up, and a guy I like), and Moats who like Carrington and Troup needs time, but I think he'll fit in the future, and is starting to see some time at OLB where I believe he is a better fit. Davis at the other ILB spot is a good run defender between the tackles, that is it, Ayodele is nothing more than a number and was signed because... I guess depth was needed. This spot is need of an upgrade no doubt unless Moats becomes the man, in which case depth is needed regardless. The "Jack" is being occupied by Torbor and Maybin, Torbor might be a capable back up, but I have seen nothing from him as a starter and Maybin is a almost at full bust status, playing at 220 with a great first step at Penn St. only rushing the passer is one thing, but playing at 250 with no first step in the NFL is another and IMO this franchise needs to send another statement (Bye Trent...) if Maybin can not produce this year and wash there hands of this mistake, he is still the last guy off the snap 3 out 4 times, has no first step of consequense, has a spin move slower than his first step, thinks he's a bull rusher now, and has shown nothing to date to justify anything other than he came in a stole Ralph's $$,$$$,$$$. Antonio Coleman might be the only hope, and has shown potential, but is again young and needs time.
              Bad fits and stop gaps is fair when talking about the LB's for the most part, the DL needs some depth and draft picks to step up, and the secondary is fine, but with some LB's particularly OLB's who can get after the QB it would be a whole new D.
              Im in the same 2-3 year boat range with Gailey, as long as he can get the QB, T, TE and OLB spots figured out, and maintain what they have along with improving a couple other spots (WR, TE) along the way... Next year is unrealistic IMO but if they can draft right, and add a key guy along the way, who knows, maybe they can be a legit playoff contender moving forward, down the road.
              Last edited by Poz51; 10-01-2010, 09:05 AM.
              "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

Some Penn State players do OK in the Pros. But as a Penn State fan myself, I can confidently say that everyone who watched Maybin on that team knew he'd be a washout in the pros. He was a skinny-looking speed guy in the Big 10. That tells you all you need to know, really. The Maybin pick will set their defense back for years because instead of him they could easily have had Orakpo or Matthews who are beginning to look like perennial Pro Bowlers.

As for the Spiller pick, it was exceedingly dumb. I don't care how much of a big-play threat he will turn out to be; you simply do not build teams around a running back anymore in today's NFL if you want to be a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
                  Some Penn State players do OK in the Pros. But as a Penn State fan myself, I can confidently say that everyone who watched Maybin on that team knew he'd be a washout in the pros. He was a skinny-looking speed guy in the Big 10. That tells you all you need to know, really. The Maybin pick will set their defense back for years because instead of him they could easily have had Orakpo or Matthews who are beginning to look like perennial Pro Bowlers.

As for the Spiller pick, it was exceedingly dumb. I don't care how much of a big-play threat he will turn out to be; you simply do not build teams around a running back anymore in today's NFL if you want to be a contender.
                  You can still build around a running game.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, teams can still be very successful playing smashmouth defense and ground n pound offense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    You can still build around a running game.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, teams can still be very successful playing smashmouth defense and ground n pound offense.
                    You're completely wrong about this. Because of the rules changes that occurred in 2004, the passing game is of paramount importance in today's NFL. It's next to impossible to shut out opposing passing attacks with defense now. The best way to fight an opposing passing attack is to slow it down with solid defense and outscore it with your own passing attack.

If you don't have a top 10 passing offense, you aren't a contender. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
                      You're completely wrong about this. Because of the rules changes that occurred in 2004, the passing game is of paramount importance in today's NFL. It's next to impossible to shut out opposing passing attacks with defense now. The best way to fight an opposing passing attack is to slow it down with solid defense and outscore it with your own passing attack.

If you don't have a top 10 passing offense, you aren't a contender. Period.
                      The Giants won a SB in 07 with a dominant defense and a power run game.

The Steelers won the SB in 08 with a dominant defense and mediocre offense.

Pittsburg also won the SB in 05 with a dominant defense and power run game.

The Pats beat the Panthers in 04 with a dominant defense and power run game.

So basically, since the rule changes took place in 04, 4 out of the 6 SB champions since then won with defense and running the ball.

So you were saying?

Comment

So basically, since the rule changes took place in 04, 4 out of the 6 SB champions since then won with defense and running the ball.

So you were saying?
                        I would also like to point out that in Indy's superbowl, Addai and Rhodes should have been co MVPS. It was their run game that won that game.

Comment

Eli Manning <-> Plaxico Burress figured prominently in that Super Bowl run.

The Steelers did indeed win the SB in 08 with dominant defense, but they also had a top 10 QB that year. Without Big Ben, they don't win that Super Bowl or even get to it, despite having the #1 defense in the league that year.

Again, you're discounting the amazing performance (relatively, for a rookie) of QB Big Ben that year in the games leading up to the Super Bowl.

All that year the Pats had a top 3 defense, yes, but without above-average QB play (Brady) they don't go to the Super Bowl. Don't you remember that Tom Brady fellow? Think about the whole season, and not just a single game.

So you were saying?
                          Here's how it works:

The Super Bowl winner, in every NFL season I've studied in the past two decades, is invariably a team with a top 10 defense in terms of "net adjusted yards per pass". That's the barrier to entry. You can't win a Super Bowl without a top 10 defense in that statistical category.

After that, what typically differentiates the Super Bowl winner from the rest of the pack is the strength of the offense. The better the team is in "net adjusted yards per pass" on offense, the more likely they are to win the Super Bowl among teams in the top 10 in "net adjusted yards per pass" given up on defense. For example, the 1999 Rams were #3 in NAYPP on defense, and #1 in NAYPP on offense. The 2010 Saints were #9 in NAYPP oon defense and #1 in NAYPP on offense.

If a team has an EXTREMELY strong "net adjusted yards per pass" on defense (typically lower than 3.8), such as the 2008 Steelers or the 2002 Buccaneers or the 2000 Ravens, they can win a championship with a barely average passing attack, but still wouldn't be able to win with an extremely below-average passing attack or just a running game. For example, the Buccaneers consistently were in the top 5 in "net adjusted yards per pass" on defense for years from 1998-2003 but only managed to win the Super Bowl or even get deep into the playoffs with above-average quarterbacking in Brad Johnson in 2002. Prior that Johnson they had scrub play in the passing game which their defense could not overcome in the playoffs.

The most important thing in the game, far and away, is stopping the pass on defense and establishing the pass on offense. Effectively stopping the pass on defense gets your foot in the door of the playoffs, but establishing the pass on offense allows you to go all the way.

Comment

Fwiw, I don't mind the Spiller pick. The reason is that the Bills have blown like 8 of their last 9 first rounders. So rather than have a high percentage change of getting another low impact first round bust, I figured at least we'll get the BPA and go from there.

The way the Bills draft their first round sounds eerily Ralph Wilsonish. Last year our biggest problem was pass rush, so it seemed obvious to get the best pass rusher. Now as far as Orakpo, word is Jauron overruled everyone and made the final decision and went with the speed rusher. You could make a case that we already had two power rushers in Kelsay and Schoebel.

The year before that we went with McKelvin, sort of a BPA pick - and what do you know, he's still on the team! And he's playing really well this season. However, in typical Bills fashion we lost Jabari Greer for a moderate salary. I thought he was the best and most underrated player on our team that year, lights out in man-to-man coverage.

The year before that we had no running game, so we take the best runner available.

This year, we needed excitement on the offense so we took the most exciting player available.

It's almost as if Ralph has the final say for the first round pick and he uses it to adress his top need from sort of a fan point of view. After all he is a fan and watches the games like we do. Great, but let the scouts pick the guys Ralph, they probably know who is good and who is bad.

Fyi, we liked Revis in the Lynch Draft, and we LOVED Matthews from last years draft, too bad he didn't make it to pick 28.

Also, note how nobody from the front office has said a word about the Chris Kelsay contract extension. For a leader, and a guy that they wanted to extend long term, you would think they would be proud to extend him and announce the news to everyone. Well apparently not. It's looking more and more like a Ralph Wilson move in which he is rewarding loyal guys. Looks like Nix and co wanted no part in this.

Ralph Wilson is the problem with the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

The Bills reached an injury settlement with Kawika Mitchell, meaning he's released. (per Bills text.)

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                              my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                              But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

I think when senile 92-yr-old owner Ralph Wilson passes there will be some severe & fundamental changes in that franchise. Things have been in a state of sustained chaos there for the past few seasons & no player wants to play there.

If the NFL & Goddell could've moved them to Toronto, where they were forced to play 3 BUFFALO HOME GAMES, by now they would be the only Canadian team in the NFL, they will still make it happen if at all possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information