No announcement yet.

Offensive Lines This Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Bay's line has been pretty damn good so far.

Comment

Seems to me like a big part of it is that, unless you're playing the Titans or Steelers (or other run dominated offenses), defensive coordinators are instructing their guys to just sell out on the pass and dare the other team to run the ball. Sure, teams might go with the run in the first half to try and keep the defense honest, but more often than not, teams are too impatient to stick with it and just start airing it out.

I know it's a passing league now, but offensive coordinators league-wide have forgotten that running the ball is the best trick in the book to slowing a pass rush down and helping your offensive line out. Some of these pass:run ratios I'm seeing are just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        You would've taken Iupati over Dez? Wow.
        I never said that. I said I wanted Iupati in the 1st. This was well before i had any idea Dez would be available that late and way early into the process. If we couldn't get Dez, or Earl Thomas, yes I would have gladly taken Iupati personally. But I know I was alone in that thinking though.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

No patience. Why have a 10 play drive that takes 10 minutes when you can score quickly through the air?

That's how they look at it. Some teams will smarten up and keep it old school. It seemed to work fine for Pittsburgh, who had a 4th string qb and went 3-1 during the warmest month of the season, when passing the ball is at its best.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            No patience. Why have a 10 play drive that takes 10 minutes when you can score quickly through the air?

That's how they look at it. Some teams will smarten up and keep it old school. It seemed to work fine for Pittsburgh, who had a 4th string qb and went 3-1 during the warmest month of the season, when passing the ball is at its best.
            Exactly.

I think a lot of teams really looked closely at how the Saints defended the Colts in the Superbowl.

During the first half, New Orleans was basically in full-on pass rush mode from the first snap. Manning was patient, audibling to runs, working long drives, and they were gashing the Saints for some pretty good running plays.

Enter the second half, Indy loses the lead, and you see Peyton completely abandon the running game and start trying to win the game by himself. Instead of controlling the tempo of the game, he played right into Gregg Williams' gameplan: that Peyton wouldn't have the patience to milk long drives and stick with the run, when New Orleans was basically begging them to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
              I never said that. I said I wanted Iupati in the 1st. This was well before i had any idea Dez would be available that late and way early into the process. If we couldn't get Dez, or Earl Thomas, yes I would have gladly taken Iupati personally. But I know I was alone in that thinking though.
              Well... we got Dez, so you shouldn't be talking about wanting Iupati because you can either or.

Oh and tons of Cowobys fans wanted Iupati. Not me though. I wanted Dez, Mays or Thomas.

Comment

I rate us top 8 in pass protection but bottom 3 in run blocking.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

I posted this in the Cowboys forum, but does anyone want to take a stab at this list of 2011 OL FAs who will actually be available come FA?

Jared Gaither, BAL
                  Matt Light, NE
                  Donald Penn, TB
                  Jermon Bushrod, NO
                  Willie Colon, PIT
                  Carl Nicks, NO
                  Logan Mankins, NE
                  Ryan Kalil, CAR
                  Daryn Colledge, GB
                  Evan Mathis, CIN
                  Alan Faneca, ARI
                  Tyson Clabo, ATL
                  Doug Free, DAL
                  Ryan Harris, DEN
                  Jon Jansen, DET
                  Charlie Johnson, IND
                  Tony Ugoh, IND
                  Ryan O'Callaghan, KC
                  Mario Henderson, OAK
                  Khalif Barnes, OAK
                  Jeromey Clary, SD
                  Ray Willis, SEA
                  Jeremy Trueblood, TB
                  Stephon Heyer, WAS
                  Reggie Wells, ARI
                  Deuce Lutui, ARI
                  Lyle Sendlein, ARI
                  Quinn Ojinnaka, ATL
                  Justin Blalock, ATL
                  Harvey Dahl, ATL
                  Marshal Yanda, BAL
                  Chris Chester, BAL
                  Josh Beekman, CHI
                  Olin Kreutz, CHI
                  Nate Livings, CIN
                  Kyle Cook, CIN
                  Kyle Kosier, DAL
                  Manuel Ramirez, DET
                  Jason Spitz, GB
                  Uche Nwaneri, JAC
                  Casey Wiegmann, KC
                  Rudy Niswanger, KC
                  Richie Incognito, MIA
                  Jonathan Goodwin, NO
                  Chris Morris, OAK
                  Samson Satele, OAK
                  Max Jean-Gilles, PHI
                  Nick Cole, PHI
                  David Baas, SF
                  Chris Spencer, SEA
                  John Greco, STL
                  Mark Setterstrom, STL
                  Davin Joseph, TB
                  Leroy Harris, TEN

Comment

Well... we got Dez, so you shouldn't be talking about wanting Iupati because you can either or.

Oh and tons of Cowobys fans wanted Iupati. Not me though. I wanted Dez, Mays or Thomas.
                    My point was that I had a feeling our interior line was gonna let us down. I though Kosier would be pretty bad but didn't expect Davis to be as bad as he was. I still saw it as a problem, and I saw a guy who would have been a multi pro bowler in a few years IMO.

It's all hypothetical anyway, because like I said this was how I felt during the draft process, not on the actual draft day when I saw Dez falling. I'm just bringing it up due to some people thinking a Guard isn't worth a 1st round pick, or that we didn't need one. I don't know who will and won't fall in this upcoming draft either, but I bet I'm still gonna be leaning in the direction of G/C during the draft process, but that doesn't mean I'd take them over a higher rated prospect at another position I had no idea would be there.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

That's how the Colts and Pats have been doing it for 10 years. Utilizing the short passing game and taking their sweet time at the line...eating up ridiculous amounts of clock. That's what the Saints do now, and it's what the Chiefs are converting to.

Comment

Our OL is solid as always. Someone in this team has to be playing well.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          My point was that I had a feeling our interior line was gonna let us down. I though Kosier would be pretty bad but didn't expect Davis to be as bad as he was. I still saw it as a problem, and I saw a guy who would have been a multi pro bowler in a few years IMO.

It's all hypothetical anyway, because like I said this was how I felt during the draft process, not on the actual draft day when I saw Dez falling. I'm just bringing it up due to some people thinking a Guard isn't worth a 1st round pick, or that we didn't need one. I don't know who will and won't fall in this upcoming draft either, but I bet I'm still gonna be leaning in the direction of G/C during the draft process, but that doesn't mean I'd take them over a higher rated prospect at another position I had no idea would be there.
                          I think your point was shared that OL was a concern. I do agree that non-Cowboys fans rose all kinds of concerns about Doug Free out of ignorance and made a big deal out of it.

I just think OL can be address outside of round 1. Even Round 2 is perfectly fine, but I agree with Jerry's philosophy on OL. FA, trade, draft (outside of rnd 1).

Comment

Raiders oline always sucks so Im not surprised

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

I posted this in the Cowboys forum, but does anyone want to take a stab at this list of 2011 OL FAs who will actually be available come FA?

Jared Gaither, BAL
                              Doug Free, DAL
                              Carl Nicks, NO
                              Logan Mankins, NE
                              Daryn Colledge, GB
                              Olin Kreutz, CHI
                              Jason Spitz, GB
                              -Jared Gaither is the cream of the crop. Batlimore will probably let him go and he can go to a power running team like NYG or Dallas (if they are willing to move Gaither or Free).
                              -Doug Free almost certainly gets resigned by Dallas. This year felt like a tryout and most reports are that he passed, so Jerry Jones will pay him.
                              -The Saints offense has phenomenal guards and they use every bit of their ability. They are always pulling and running all over the field on the screens and off tackle runs they use so much. Thus Nicks won't be easy for them to replace and they won't let him go.
                              -Logan Mankins is an excellent guard that can play in any scheme and word is he is on bad terms with the Patriots. A lot of teams will want him, especially the ones that value pass protection, but he won't come cheap like all Patriots these days. I want my Packers to grab him and get Colledge off the team.
                              -Olin Kreutz sucks now but he probably signs in Chicago again for 2 reasons: He is loved and known in Chicago for how good he used to be and the Bears have a history of trying, then failing to upgrade their OL only to resign guys they knew were past their prime at the last minute.
                              -Daryn Colledge is an average/below average guard that can only play LG in a ZBS. Green Bay likes him though simply because he never gets hurt so they will probably offer him good backup money (we've been trying to replace him but he is good depth). The market for him is so small, I don't know of another team that runs a ZBS that has a black hole at LG that would want him.
                              -Jason Spitz is an extremely valuable player to have because he can play LG, C, RG and do pretty well at all of them, consistently average is a good way to describe it. He is coming off a major back injury that put him on IR last year but he has had no healthy problems this year. Any team, particularly ZBS that has a muddy interior OL would love to have Spitz to fill a spot and let their guys play their way into the best lineup. Spitz was our best interior lineman for a few years at RG then took over at C last year and got hurt early. He will come cheap but he's a bargain that would improve many teams.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Bears = worst in NFL history.

I've actually wanted to make a thread about this topic since week 1, but always figured everyone would just homer it up and either defend their team's o-line to the death or be exceptionally dramatic about saying how bad they are.

There have just been some terrible line performances so far this year, and I think it goes back to the pass whacky direction teams are going. I often hear that there just aren't enough good QBs to go around, well, there aren't enough good o-lineman to go around to support those kind of offenses.

Add to that how crazy good some of the defensive fronts in this league have gotten, and this is what we get. **** shows of offensive lines getting crushed.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information