No announcement yet.

Offensive Lines This Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I mentioned it before, but I don't think Gaither makes more sense anywhere else then Detroit. This way they can still take Patrick Peterson, and why risk it in such a weak class. It's not like they have a ton of good players sucking up cap space, other then Stafford, Calvin & Suh I don't think it'd be much of a problem.

He's gonna get an incredible deal though, you can bet on that. I don't think Dallas could afford to get into a bidding war, but Mankins is another story. I'd love to trade for him to eliminate the need, but he'll be a FA too. While his deal will be pretty high, it's not like we didn't pay Davis a pretty big deal when we needed him, so I won't rule it out. Interior O-line is more of a concern then a RT I believe.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
      Bears = worst in NFL history.

I've actually wanted to make a thread about this topic since week 1, but always figured everyone would just homer it up and either defend their team's o-line to the death or be exceptionally dramatic about saying how bad they are.
      You are right. Whenever someone makes a thread like that it's followed by 10 posts of "have you seen how many sacks my team gave up?" etc.

At a glance I'd have to agree with you. I thought maybe the Bills or Oakland or Seattle might be worse, but then I checked this:
      18 sacks, 31 QB hits, both worst in NFL
      3.3 YPC, 5th worse...
      ...but only behind Broncos, Ravens, Colts, Saints -> all teams that clearly built to throw. They get "running" yards in screens and 5 yard passes. Colts are pretty bad but giving up only 4 sacks, even if it is Peyton, I can't rate them worse than the Bears.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        I know I mentioned it before, but I don't think Gaither makes more sense anywhere else then Detroit. This way they can still take Patrick Peterson, and why risk it in such a weak class. It's not like they have a ton of good players sucking up cap space, other then Stafford, Calvin & Suh I don't think it'd be much of a problem.
        I meant to add about Gaither he seems like kind of a fishy character to me. Baltimore has been trying to get rid of him for a little while. He hasn't gotten into any real trouble that I know of, I'm just speculating. He went in the 5th round of the supplemental because his grades were so bad, then when he "broke out" the Ravens seemed like they were more eager to trade him at top value than make him a lasting piece of their team. Maybe his teammates and coaches just don't like him in Baltimore.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
          You are right. Whenever someone makes a thread like that it's followed by 10 posts of "have you seen how many sacks my team gave up?" etc.

At a glance I'd have to agree with you. I thought maybe the Bills or Oakland or Seattle might be worse, but then I checked this:
          18 sacks, 31 QB hits, both worst in NFL
          3.3 YPC, 5th worse...
          ...but only behind Broncos, Ravens, Colts, Saints -> all teams that clearly built to throw. They get "running" yards in screens and 5 yard passes. Colts are pretty bad but giving up only 4 sacks, even if it is Peyton, I can't rate them worse than the Bears.
          The Colts is the only other one I'd even listen to an argument for. And even then, Saturday still playing well and being a very heady center makes up a lot for them. Kreutz isn't the worst player on our line, but he's nowhere near where he was a few years ago when he was a pro-bowler.

Plus they've got Peyton who is incredible at reading defenses and adjusting where backs and TEs block to help out....he makes them look better still.

But, it's hard to get worse than this:

Williams/Omiyele - Garza - Kreutz - Louis - Omiyele/Shaffer

Garza and Kreutz have just gotten old and slow...Louis has some potential but makes a lot of youngster mental mistakes...Omiyele is practically worthless as a run blocker. Gets no push at all and is only on this team because JA doesn't want to look dumb for giving him a big deal in FA 2 years ago.

Oy.....this sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I think your point was shared that OL was a concern. I do agree that non-Cowboys fans rose all kinds of concerns about Doug Free out of ignorance and made a big deal out of it.

I just think OL can be address outside of round 1. Even Round 2 is perfectly fine, but I agree with Jerry's philosophy on OL. FA, trade, draft (outside of rnd 1).
            If we can land someone in FA(which I think is partially why we didn't make any moves this FA), I'm all for that theory. My concern is that we wait until round 2 or 3, and don't get an impact guy. I think we need some starters honestly. For sure 1 new starter at Guard, Kosier, Gurode, and Columbo may be ok next year even if they aren't the greatest options.

I don't know, we have talent but alot of concerns. CB, you can't find those guys late and hope, if you need a starter you need one early unless your lucky, Scandrick is just a slot guy and I see Newman dropping off big time. Play-making Safety, as well as players across the line.

We may have a very good RT type of player fall into our laps in the 20's, like BC's Anthony Castonzo for instance. If we happened to grab him, and Mankins I'd be ecstatic.

Our line could be in big trouble next year(were already looking pretty bad right now) if we don't find a few new starters. That would be my best case scenario, but we'd have to start cutting guys to get into a bid war for Mankins or Gaither.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Nicks and Bushrod are almost assured to get resigned, unless they feel Charles Brown is ready next season, which I'm not so sure of.

Nicks is a lock, and the team may eventually do something with Stinchcomb to clear space for Bushrod and Brown.

Personally, I think Zach Strief can break out if given consistent playing time, he always seems to play well when he needs to come in, and he's a tackle that can function as a road grader.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Nicks and Evans for any guard in the league, so we're good there.

Goodwin is above average at the moment, hopefully Matt Tennant becomes better than that.

I've never been a fan of stinchcomb, he's a poor run blocker even if he were a LT, and really can't handle athletic rushers at all. Maybe someone will give up a high pick for him since he made the pro bowl.

I think the Saints philosophy is going to get adopted more often. With Brees, we really don't need dominant tackles, he's so good at stepping back up behind the big wall in the middle, that our tackles just have to focus on not getting beat inside.
              Last edited by Saints-Tigers; 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM.
              Originally posted by SNIPER26
              fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

I dunno... but I think the Redskins showed, you can fix your OL in one offseason. Continuity is important, but it doesn't mean you can work it out.

Comment

I think it is safe to say that the Broncos has the worst run blocking o-line in the NFL right now. 19 rushing yards yesterday, with 8 of them coming from Orton on a broken play/scramble. Maroney and Buckhalter had 17 attempts between them for 8 yards. I think the 8 of the first 10 rush plays went for zero or negative yards - that is generally not the RBs fault.

On a good day we get 2 yards per carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                    I think the Saints philosophy is going to get adopted more often. With Brees, we really don't need dominant tackles, he's so good at stepping back up behind the big wall in the middle, that our tackles just have to focus on not getting beat inside.
                    Not likely. Early last year our interior line was serviceable but our tackles were absolute garbage. Every play someone would fly out from the edge and Rodgers had to take his eyes off downfield and look to find an escape route through a lot of traffic. Never worked.

Edge rushers today are so incredibly fast and explosive that if you don't block them they fly into the quarterback in what seems like an instant. Even if they don't get him, he's running and being chased now, his receivers aren't running their routes anymore, and he only has maybe a 3rd of the field to throw to and he has to do it running full speed.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      Let's try to name off all the good olines in the league right now.

Baltimore
                      Cleveland
                      Miami
                      NYJ

I know those 4 for sure are great^

What about SD? They look pretty decent, but I wouldn't call them elite, and they can't run block either.

Tennessee took a step back this year, so not them. I haven't seen enough of Cinncy to comment on them. Same for Pittsburgh.

I can't think of any other than those 4.
                      I actually like the 49ers O-line and i think it will get better, ditto for the Rams.

Are the Browns the best? they're getting a 100 yards a game from Peyton Hillis and the other team knows they're going to run the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                        Green Bay's line has been pretty damn good so far.
                        I definitely wouldn't go that far, but as I said earlier they're getting more crap than they deserve because of the start of last season.

Comment

Somehow SD's O-line is beasting. The talent is not especially there...I chalk it up to favorable match ups so far and Philip's quick release. Still, the run game has showed some damn vibrant signs of life and the bolts are sporting the #1 yardage offense. Can't say they're doing poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                            Somehow SD's O-line is beasting. The talent is not especially there...I chalk it up to favorable match ups so far and Philip's quick release. Still, the run game has showed some damn vibrant signs of life and the bolts are sporting the #1 yardage offense. Can't say they're doing poorly.
                            You're a 4-0 team right now if you don't let Kassim Osgood walk. I still like you guys to get to the Superbowl this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                              The Colts is the only other one I'd even listen to an argument for. And even then, Saturday still playing well and being a very heady center makes up a lot for them. Kreutz isn't the worst player on our line, but he's nowhere near where he was a few years ago when he was a pro-bowler.

Plus they've got Peyton who is incredible at reading defenses and adjusting where backs and TEs block to help out....he makes them look better still.

But, it's hard to get worse than this:

Williams/Omiyele - Garza - Kreutz - Louis - Omiyele/Shaffer

Garza and Kreutz have just gotten old and slow...Louis has some potential but makes a lot of youngster mental mistakes...Omiyele is practically worthless as a run blocker. Gets no push at all and is only on this team because JA doesn't want to look dumb for giving him a big deal in FA 2 years ago.

Oy.....this sucks.

Every offense under martz has given up a ton of sacks and gotten the qb killed. i said it before this year, cutlers numbers will go up but martz could ruin his career as he already had a propensity for holding onto the ball and playing risky/aggressive as it was.

The bears have a bad o line, definitely one of the worst. But their coaching isnt doing anything to mask those problems either. In the end, i think it costs them all their jobs.
                              Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                              Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                                I definitely wouldn't go that far, but as I said earlier they're getting more crap than they deserve because of the start of last season.

The numbers say theyre good.

The eye test says peppers turned them inside out, but then again he did it to the giants a bit too, makin plays everywhere. what scares me is that the packers didnt adjust and start chipping him, which is really stupid on someone/everyones part.
                                Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                                Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information