GOAT MLB Rankings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    He's saying that a player's proximity to your lifespan doesn't make that player better in any objective sense. Which is correct.

I don't necessarily think that one type of game was obviously more demanding than another. This modern game requires more dedication from it's athletes, demands that they stay in peak physical form later into their careers. The old game was one where, as a defender, an offensive line could attack your knees while you were engaged while your man tries to gouge your eye out. They had their unique difficulties.
    Which is why these comparisons are so tough. If you took either one of these guys in their primes and just dropped them into a different era, they both would likely look confused and out of place.

Comment

So don't do that. It's not logical.

Look at that player's dominance and profile in their own era of football. Nothing more, nothing less. I know many of us weren't alive to see them play, but that doesn't render us incapable of understanding their place in the history of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Monomach View Post
        Doesn't matter. Anyone over 30 looks at these threads, laughs, and mutters "stupid kids," anyway. This forum thinks that the NFL started in 2000.
        Great point except that almost every player selected was retired before 2000. Particularly in DEs and most of the top players.
        Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
        oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Just curious how did some of you guys develop your knowledge about the older players. I think guys like YFS and BBD are all in the 25-30 range, so JW how did you get that knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
            Just curious how did some of you guys develop your knowledge about the older players. I think guys like YFS and BBD are all in the 25-30 range, so JW how did you get that knowledge.
            NFL Network top 10 lists and old games on NFLN prob.
            Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
            oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
              Come on man! I'm only 22.

This is your best friend for these threads. I've watched countless hours on it.

hulu.com/nfl

I grew up watching ESPN classic, reading NFL books, and my dad and grandpa were both huge NFL fans. I gained an appreciation for older generations of football at a fairly young age.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post

hulu.com/nfl
                If there's three things I hate about living in Canada, its no In-N-Out Burger, no ESPN 3 and no hulu.

We're on #4 now.

1. Dick Butkus
                2. Ray Lewis
                3. Ray Nitchske
                4. ?

My vote is Mike Singletary (5).

Mike Singletary (5)
                Willie Lanier (3)
                Jack Lambert (2)
                Last edited by TACKLE; 10-14-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                  Come on man! I'm only 22.

hulu.com/nfl

I grew up watching ESPN classic, reading NFL books, and my dad and grandpa were both huge NFL fans. I gained an appreciation for older generations of football at a fairly young age.
                  Never used Hulu before. That is amazing. I can look at Ravens highlights from 1996! and other stuff too

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information