NFC Big 4 (NO, Min, GB, Dal)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etk View Post
    .......Saints are the defending Super Bowl champs. I don't think the Saints even know why they're struggling...it just happens....
    Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas have a few guesses, so does Darren Sharper, the All Pro safety from a year ago who saved them about 3 games last season.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
      Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas have a few guesses, so does Darren Sharper, the All Pro safety from a year ago who saved them about 3 games last season.
      I agree to an extent but the Saints issues go a lot deeper than that. I'll have a full answer on Sunday when I get to see a whole game.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

As much as I love Brees I have to say he is also making lesser throws, even the deep bomb of last week was quite underthrown.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
        - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
        - Corner or Wideout in the first
        - No reaching
        - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

I agree to an extent but the Saints issues go a lot deeper than that. I'll have a full answer on Sunday when I get to see a whole game.
          Here's the best way I can explain it when people say it can't just be this one injury, or that one guy missing, etc....

Think about a high performance sports car.

One cylinder goes out. OK, the car still goes on. It still looks pretty good.
          But eventually something else goes out because of the extra wear & tear on the parts remaining..... and on, and on, and on.

Missing both the featured running back, and the multi-talented RB Bush takes a huge toll on an offense.

And Sharper on defense last year was almost the DPOY. He made big plays, sealed some games for them. That can't be replaced. They had some luck last year too, beating Minny in the NFCCG even though they were totally outplayed.

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
            As much as I love Brees I have to say he is also making lesser throws, even the deep bomb of last week was quite underthrown.
            This.

I won't pretend to be a Saints know-it-all but whenever I turn on their games Brees and the offense looks out-of-sync. imo a RB doesn't make that big of a difference, unless it's a guy like Adrian Peterson. RBs are pretty interchangeable imo, although Bush is a nice weapon overall that can't be replaced.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

This.

I won't pretend to be a Saints know-it-all but whenever I turn on their games Brees and the offense looks out-of-sync. imo a RB doesn't make that big of a difference, unless it's a guy like Adrian Peterson. RBs are pretty interchangeable imo, although Bush is a nice weapon overall that can't be replaced.
              See, for a team like the Saints or even the Packers, the RB isn't as interchangeable as it would be on a heavy running team due to all the things they are required to do as part of the passing game.

Pierre Thomas may not be a world-beater as a runner, but he's super versatile and plays a big role in their passing game as a blocker and check down option. Bush too when he is in there, and he can also split out wide.

Those two guys go out, and the Saints are left with journeyman Ladell Betts and UDFA Chris Ivory. Neither is going to pick up the complexities of the passing game to be as effective as Thomas or Bush, and that is hamstringing the Saints right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                See, for a team like the Saints or even the Packers, the RB isn't as interchangeable as it would be on a heavy running team due to all the things they are required to do as part of the passing game.

Pierre Thomas may not be a world-beater as a runner, but he's super versatile and plays a big role in their passing game as a blocker and check down option. Bush too when he is in there, and he can also split out wide.

Those two guys go out, and the Saints are left with journeyman Ladell Betts and UDFA Chris Ivory. Neither is going to pick up the complexities of the passing game to be as effective as Thomas or Bush, and that is hamstringing the Saints right now.
                I agree to this to a certain extend with this statement but Brees is just making bad throws at times which he barely did last season. I agree that he is also getting a tougher hand at times but he is also throwing to wrong shoulders, missing his deep balls by miles and just not hitting receivers he would every single time last season.

But with that being said it doesnt help that his easy decisions/dumpoffs are being taken away. Thomas is almost irreplacable in the screen game and bush is just a special matchup problem (who ive defended very often on this side although people are now overestimating his importance, PT is just as if not more important for this offense as noone is better in running screens than he is)

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                - Corner or Wideout in the first
                - No reaching
                - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Madden Curse. Why do players keep going on the cover?

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
                    I agree to this to a certain extend with this statement but Brees is just making bad throws at times which he barely did last season. I agree that he is also getting a tougher hand at times but he is also throwing to wrong shoulders, missing his deep balls by miles and just not hitting receivers he would every single time last season.

But with that being said it doesnt help that his easy decisions/dumpoffs are being taken away. Thomas is almost irreplacable in the screen game and bush is just a special matchup problem (who ive defended very often on this side although people are now overestimating his importance, PT is just as if not more important for this offense as noone is better in running screens than he is)
                    This year I've only watched one Saints game but I thought Reggie Bush really opened up the linebackers and confused the safeties making it easier for Brees to find an open receiver. They also ran a ton of screens that looked like they worked because of good game planning and awesome OL play but maybe they're not able to run those without Bush. JMO, maybe Brees is making those bad throws because he's trying to force it into tighter coverage because the screens aren't working.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post

That's very true, but people also need to consider how lucky the Saints were, and how many small breaks that went in their favor last year. Also consider as someone mentioned Darren Sharper is not there and how many turnovers he created that turned into 6 points, hell the entire defense was creating turnovers at an uncanny rate and scoring off of the turnover or on the next possession. It's alot easier to win games when those things are happening.

I'm also not seeing the Marques Colston from a few years ago, he's been pretty average recently for whatever reason. I know he is a good WR, but not sure if he's not getting targeted or what, but he should go back to being that go to guy, especially when they are missing weapons and right now he looks like just an average guy out there.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        That's very true, but people also need to consider how lucky the Saints were, and how many small breaks that went in their favor last year. Also consider as someone mentioned Darren Sharper is not there and how many turnovers he created that turned into 6 points, hell the entire defense was creating turnovers at an uncanny rate and scoring off of the turnover or on the next possession. It's alot easier to win games when those things are happening.
                        I refuse to buy into Darren Sharper being that good of a player. Maybe whoever they replaced him with is just god awful and that's the problem. Last year, not to take anything away from them, the Saints had a ton of luck during games and with injuries. This year, they are on the other side of it.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                          I refuse to buy into Darren Sharper being that good of a player. Maybe whoever they replaced him with is just god awful and that's the problem. Last year, not to take anything away from them, the Saints had a ton of luck during games and with injuries. This year, they are on the other side of it.
                          I don't think Malcolm Jenkins has been that bad......and Sharper was really dominating for them. He's the king of timely pick 6's......he's either first or second all time in them iirc. He was doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                            Overall as a player/safety no he's not that good but a pick 6 speaks for itself, especially when it comes in crucial times of the games. Even if you replace that with a guy who has better coverage skills but isn't making as many plays on the ball that can be the difference between winning and losing a close game.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I suppose I can believe that his style of play fit the Saints perfectly and Jenkins doesn't very well, but I'd like to add that he got a little lucky too. Credit him for the execution, but he wasn't making crazy diving interceptions or line toeing catches, he was the benefit of a lot of mistakes.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Sometimes taking advantage of the other team's mistakes can be the best thing you can do for your team. And it's harder to do than it may seem.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information