NFC Big 4 (NO, Min, GB, Dal)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
    I refuse to buy into Darren Sharper being that good of a player.
    Don't let a funny thing like evidence, production, or a bunch of pick-6's change your mind.

I know, I know.....the Packers let Sharper go a few years ago so he must not have been any good anymore right? Like Jon Ryan, Longwell, Favre, etc.

This guy has had the knack for coming up with key interceptions, pick 6's with the Vikings and Saints since we discarded him, and he keeps getting paid for those reasons.

I do wonder how and when he got hurt though. Anyone know that?

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
      Don't let a funny thing like evidence, production, or a bunch of pick-6's change your mind.

I know, I know.....the Packers let Sharper go a few years ago so he must not have been any good anymore right? Like Jon Ryan, Longwell, Favre, etc.

This guy has had the knack for coming up with key interceptions, pick 6's with the Vikings and Saints since we discarded him, and he keeps getting paid for those reasons.

I do wonder how and when he got hurt though. Anyone know that?
      I'm not really even positively sure, but I believe in the Off-season he had knee surgery for something that was bothering him through out last season... and he was still recovering from it which is why he was placed on the PUP list.

According to Sharper he was ready to start the season, but the team didn't feel that way apparently.

Comment

We really aren't missing Sharper. The defense is playing well despite how poor the offense is, and Jenkins in particular is balling.

The major issue is that Colston is being doubled, and no one else is capable of busting coverage.

We need that other guy in there to draw double teams on passing downs, and Reggie is that.

And like someone said, Brees is forcing bad throws because Bush isn't there. Bush is a guy that on every single passing down, if no one gets open, we can come back to him and get 6-7 yards, and that sustains drives.

We also lost a game on a chip shot field goal, and even this week the whole dynamic changes if we tie it up with a freaking 30 yarder... we wouldn't have to force the issue leading to the pick 6 at the end, because it would have been tied up.

We were so "lucky" last year according to everyone, but we could easily be 4-1, and very close to 5-0 if not for terribly blown field goals. I don't consider makign 30 yarders part of luck.

We almost blew some easy wins this year though, but I like the grit the team showed to close out those close wins.

It's not gloom and doom yet for me. We've played poorly, sloppy, and we are pretty banged up, but our record isn't that bad, and tehre are some positives coming out of this (notably the growth of Jenkins and Patrick Robinson in the wake of injuries).
        Last edited by Saints-Tigers; 10-17-2010, 08:49 AM.
        Originally posted by SNIPER26
        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
          We really aren't missing Sharper. The defense is playing well despite how poor the offense is, and Jenkins in particular is balling.

The major issue is that Colston is being doubled, and no one else is capable of busting coverage.

We need that other guy in there to draw double teams on passing downs, and Reggie is that.

And like someone said, Brees is forcing bad throws because Bush isn't there. Bush is a guy that on every single passing down, if no one gets open, we can come back to him and get 6-7 yards, and that sustains drives.

We also lost a game on a chip shot field goal, and even this week the whole dynamic changes if we tie it up with a freaking 30 yarder... we wouldn't have to force the issue leading to the pick 6 at the end, because it would have been tied up.

We were so "lucky" last year according to everyone, but we could easily be 4-1, and very close to 5-0 if not for terribly blown field goals. I don't consider makign 30 yarders part of luck.

We almost blew some easy wins this year though, but I like the grit the team showed to close out those close wins.

It's not gloom and doom yet for me. We've played poorly, sloppy, and we are pretty banged up, but our record isn't that bad, and tehre are some positives coming out of this (notably the growth of Jenkins and Patrick Robinson in the wake of injuries).
          I agree with parts of it but I would like to say that Brees has been sloppy, also on throws he didnt force or had to throw. Most specifically, his deep ball is off

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
          - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
          - Corner or Wideout in the first
          - No reaching
          - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Yea, I think the knee is bothering him, and he won't say it. His passes just don't seem crisp. Both his INTs were the result of underthrowing a guy that he would normally get it to, and like you said, even the TD was an underthrow that MEachem had to fall down to get.

Madden curse, you know that injury was coming.
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Running.......
              On record, is everybody picking the Giants to make it to the Super Bowl now, or will one of these Big 4 rally?

Quite often, the best team in late October is not the best team come January. That's pretty obvious. Just as the best team in August isn't.

I'll go on record today and say the Giants will win the NFC.
              Well-balanced running & passing game.
              QB & Coach who has won it before.
              Defense kills QBs.
              Deep DL.
              Haven't had 11 guys go on IR already and another 8 guys miss games like the Packers have.

Comment

Also, why is everyone surprised with the Saints sucking again? The NFL history is littered with "one-and-done" one-hit-wonder Super Bowl champs. It happens. A team gets exceedingly lucky one year, gets all the breaks, and takes some marginal talent all the way to the Super Bowl.

No doubt Drew Brees is a solid quarterback, but there is simply no way for a team like the Saints to be a "dynasty" or even a pernennial division winner. 2009 was an incredibly flukey and lucky year for their defense and offense. It seemed, in 2009, that every ball bounced into a Saints player's hands that year.

Comment

The new Big 4 is clearly the Bucs, Seahawks, Falcons, and Giants.
                  Ha!

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                    Madden Curse. Why do players keep going on the cover?
                    Because they don't buy into the idea that a picture on a video game box somehow magically affects football games.

Comment

• Green Bay will heat up at the end of the season. One could still make an argument for the NO Saints, but I don't buy that they are going to be any better than a wildcard team this year. Min an Dallas are both out. Minnesota especially if they lose yet again this weekend.

sig by fenikz
                      Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                      You are just a terrible person.
                      Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                      I have an iPhone.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                        Madden Curse. Why do players keep going on the cover?
                        They want to be first one to break it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          That's very true, but people also need to consider how lucky the Saints were, and how many small breaks that went in their favor last year.
                          LL is right on the money here, and that's not excuse-making.
                          We've all seen how big of an impact the zebras have on close games.
                          But flatout luck is more of a factor than people realize.

How many times do you see passes tipped at the LOS, or by a defender?

Does it find the ground, or someone's arms? Luck is involved there where it goes off the deflections.... sometimes they bounce your way, sometimes not.

Also fumbles.

Brandon Jackson fumbled his first carry Sunday night vs Minnesota. People forgot about it because it went right back to him. LUCKILY.
                          Had it not, it wouldn't have been forgotten.

Field goals that hook enough to hit the post... then those that don't hook, but straighten out.... punts that bounce backwards and are downed at the 4, versus those that trickle into the end zone for a touchback.

Lotta luck involved in every game. In a close game, it can make a difference.

Comment

• Exactly. I posted something about that earlier, involving turnovers, and how ridiculous the ratios were for the Packers and Saints last year, and how that is almost impossible to replicate. So much luck involved, and that isn't making excuses. And speaking of luck, I am not going to start talking about the NFCCG or I will probably go into depression again.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                            Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

• Every team needs some breaks and luck at times. Fans of the winning teams downplay luck and fans of the losing teams use it as an excuse.

Comment

• As a Bears fan, I have no business talking about bad luck. Luck counts as the ball bouncing to your players, and not the other guys.
                                For the Saints, they are not getting the turnovers like last year. They only have 4 interceptions and are still not good against the run. The little things like field goal kicking also matter (Dallas).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information