No announcement yet.

Some 1st Quarter of the Season Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lloyd now has 589 receiving yards through five games, putting him on pace for 1,885 yards this season. Jerry Rice's NFL record is 1,848 yards in 1995.

Bizzare doesn't even begin to describe this....

Comment

A couple of things on the OP:

Houston has come back to earth because Andre Johnson and Mario Williams arent 100%. Reduce the strength of any team's top 2 players and you'd see the same result.

Stewart Bradley. 99% of the LBs in the NFL cant cover Vernon Davis down the middle of the field, it isnt a knock on Bradley that he is in that group.

Matt Ryan 62% comp rate, 7 to 3 tds to ints and he's been sacked 10 times (which tells me he isnt getting the best line play in the world). He's managing things and winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post

Houston has come back to earth because Andre Johnson and Mario Williams arent 100%. Reduce the strength of any team's top 2 players and you'd see the same result.

Stewart Bradley. 99% of the LBs in the NFL cant cover Vernon Davis down the middle of the field, it isnt a knock on Bradley that he is in that group.

Matt Ryan 62% comp rate, 7 to 3 tds to ints and he's been sacked 10 times (which tells me he isnt getting the best line play in the world). He's managing things and winning.
        10 sacks isn't terrible at this point, it's pretty average. Half the league is in that 8-12 sack range as far as offensive lines go.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
          10 sacks isn't terrible at this point, it's pretty average. Half the league is in that 8-12 sack range as far as offensive lines go.
          You're probably right i know it would be average here in Seattle (for 2 games).

How is MRI monday going there in Green Bay?. The boys are my pick for the Superbowl but health is going to be the telling issue.

Comment

I'd say they've come back to earth because they have the worst pass defense in the league. Their safeties can't cover and Kareem Jackson has been embarrassingly bad. It was unreal how open Nicks (and Roy Williams 2 weeks ago) were.
            Last edited by Basileus777; 10-11-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I think it's so funny how McDaniels looks so bad with some of those moves, it's obvious if you don't take away his power to make those decisions he's not gonna last long at all. The irony of the Alphonso Smith situation is funny as hell, as well as giving up PLUS picks for probably the worst player listed as a QB in the NFL, then Hillis is churning out 100 yard games and now they are stuck with Maroney lol. The jokes just make themselves.

No Madden Curse BBD, come on now. I thought it was you had to be hurt? Then once that didn't happen people start saying that it's the Madden Curse if your not playing like an all-pro. Stuff happens, people can't always play at an all-pro level.

Just look at Andre Johnson, what if he was on the cover? What would people be going crazy over right now? Exactly. In the NFL it's hard to play at a high level for a consecutive amount of seasons, or stay healthy, etc, but people always just fit the Madden Curse to anything they want to now, it used to be injuries now it's any bad throw, loss, showing up on the injury report, basically Madden Curse if your not on the 1st team All-Pro.

I agree with Finley being the 2nd best TE, Gates deserves the love you gave him, but Finley is a man out there. He's been leading that team in receptions and yardage, cannot be covered, and is the #1 target.

I also very much agree with Roddy, he is underrated in general. He's gotten so much better since his first 1200 yard season and is still improving. Sadly I agree about Matt Ryan too, someone on here said he's more Matt Hassalback then Peyton Manning like people were assuming he'd be after his rookie year and that seems like it fits. He'll be solid like Hass has been, but not the elite player some were thinking. Roddy makes that team click.

Nicks needs more love. He's not far from being a top 10 WR in the league, right now consistency is the only thing people wanna see, not a flash in the pan.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                You guys need to run more with Mathews (wth is up with that? feed him the rock!) and Floyd and Rivers are developing chemistry. I think they'll be fine.
                Mathews is recovering from an ankle injury sustained against Jacksonville. He's being eased in again since Tolbert is the hot hand right now. But Mathews is the better back. He just has to make sure not to fumble the ball again like everyone else on this team has been doing.

You know the sad thing about all this is. I was right that we wouldn't miss McNeill and VJ this year. However, I would never have guessed that we would miss David Binn and Kassim Osgood this badly. Maybe, we'll get the latter back if Jacksonville decides to cut him after this season. We paid him more than good money to be a special team's ace, but he wanted to play receiver. Now he's a tight end with the Jaguars who gets thrown at once in a blue moon. Good times.

Comment

Brandon Lloyd is a product of the sytem, just like Brandon Marshall was.

Alphonso Smith has been lights out, guess all he needed was a change of scenery.

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                    Brandon Lloyd is a product of the sytem, just like Brandon Marshall was.

Alphonso Smith has been lights out, guess all he needed was a change of scenery.
                    Brandon Marshall is not a product of any system, he's a complete beast.

Comment

You're completely right about Roddy White. He's a definite top 5 receiver and I'd put him as high as 3. Other than Andre and Fitz when his team doesn't blow I can't think of anyone I would rather have.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                        i don't really agree. the red zone offense is still horrific. orton isn't really throwing that well, outside of his league-leading number of attempts.

except the o-line isn't really improving. they can't run block. and yet mcdaniels continues to call running plays. the other team isn't even respecting them at this point, there's literally no point. there's no setup for other plays, there's no keeping safeties in the box. it's a constant "well, i think we need to lose 2 yards on this play, we should run it."

the issue i have is more that he's still viewed as a genius, when his play-calling shows that he's anything but. calling draw after draw on third and mid? they haven't worked all year. why not just take a knee, if you plan to not try? punting from the 37 in a close game in which your defense just finished getting gashed? brilliant. calling screen pass after screen pass, when those screen passes have been averaging something between -3 and 1 yard per play?

i don't really mean to argue through your thread about our ineptitude, but i don't see why people keep giving him the genius appellation. he's not. i'd be willing to bet that nearly every nfl coach not named haley or childress is capable of calling a better offensive game.
                        Redzone offense is horrible bc your run game is horrible. If you can't run in the redzone, you will struggle. That's why Philly has had poor redzone efficiency the past couple of years.

The oline could never run block. But at least the right side of the line is cleaned up now in pass pro. This is a passing team, McDaniels has always been a shotgun spread offense coordinator. Your screen game is your run game, that's why you run so many screens.

The bottom line is when you look at the talent on that offense, I think he's overachieving with it. Now the lack of talent on that offense is all his fault, bc his egotistical ass decided to trade away all his talent, but the fact remains, he's churning out yardage with no run game, a mediocre qb, and no WRs. That has to count for something.

Give him more time to develop his own talent and he'll be fine. Like YFS always likes to remind us, players make plays. Give them more time in his system and he'll show you what he can do.

Comment

Im not basing my statement on Bradley based off of that. He's been a step slow to the hole and to the sidelines all season. Before his ACL, he had a lot more range. Right now he's playing like good Jeremiah Trotter, a great run stuffer who is ok but not great in coverage.

Before the ACL he had it all. Some likened him to the next Urlacher.

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Mathews is recovering from an ankle injury sustained against Jacksonville. He's being eased in again since Tolbert is the hot hand right now. But Mathews is the better back. He just has to make sure not to fumble the ball again like everyone else on this team has been doing.

You know the sad thing about all this is. I was right that we wouldn't miss McNeill and VJ this year. However, I would never have guessed that we would miss David Binn and Kassim Osgood this badly. Maybe, we'll get the latter back if Jacksonville decides to cut him after this season. We paid him more than good money to be a special team's ace, but he wanted to play receiver. Now he's a tight end with the Jaguars who gets thrown at once in a blue moon. Good times.
                          Mathews seems ready now. He had what, 10 rushes for 60 yards yesterday? They just passed the ball way too much yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            I think it's so funny how McDaniels looks so bad with some of those moves, it's obvious if you don't take away his power to make those decisions he's not gonna last long at all. The irony of the Alphonso Smith situation is funny as hell, as well as giving up PLUS picks for probably the worst player listed as a QB in the NFL, then Hillis is churning out 100 yard games and now they are stuck with Maroney lol. The jokes just make themselves.

No Madden Curse BBD, come on now. I thought it was you had to be hurt? Then once that didn't happen people start saying that it's the Madden Curse if your not playing like an all-pro. Stuff happens, people can't always play at an all-pro level.

Just look at Andre Johnson, what if he was on the cover? What would people be going crazy over right now? Exactly. In the NFL it's hard to play at a high level for a consecutive amount of seasons, or stay healthy, etc, but people always just fit the Madden Curse to anything they want to now, it used to be injuries now it's any bad throw, loss, showing up on the injury report, basically Madden Curse if your not on the 1st team All-Pro.

I agree with Finley being the 2nd best TE, Gates deserves the love you gave him, but Finley is a man out there. He's been leading that team in receptions and yardage, cannot be covered, and is the #1 target.

I also very much agree with Roddy, he is underrated in general. He's gotten so much better since his first 1200 yard season and is still improving. Sadly I agree about Matt Ryan too, someone on here said he's more Matt Hassalback then Peyton Manning like people were assuming he'd be after his rookie year and that seems like it fits. He'll be solid like Hass has been, but not the elite player some were thinking. Roddy makes that team click.

Nicks needs more love. He's not far from being a top 10 WR in the league, right now consistency is the only thing people wanna see, not a flash in the pan.
                            Brees has a MCL sprain I think. You can see it effect some of his throws yesterday. Call me crazy, but I'm just a superstitious guy. So I'm a sucker for the Madden Curse and all that stuff.

I don't wear any Giants apparel on gameday bc of my superstitions, and I won't ever listen to a Giants or Knicks game on the radio, bc every game I heard on the radio, both teams lost. So I refuse to listen to them on the radio. If I'm in someone else's car, I'd make such a hissy fit about it I'd literally beg them to turn the radio off. That's how superstitious I am.

I won't ever go to a Giants playoff game either, bc every playoff game I went to, they lost.

So yeah, I'm superstitious.

I think Matt Hasselbeck is a great comparison to Ryan. That's pretty spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              I never believed in the 49ers. And the reason why was bc of the coaching staff and Alex Smith. But even I never thought they'd consistently lose the way they have this year. This year is such a heartbreaker for them.
                              I didn't realize it was possible to shoot yourself in the foot as often as the team has.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I think the Carolina players know that Fox isn't putting them in a position to win, so they've quit on him.

Thankfully it's his last season in Charlotte. I'm tired of being out coached every week.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information