No announcement yet.

Some 1st Quarter of the Season Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Fox needs to take a year off from football, relax his brain, then become the next Giants head coach when Coughlin retires.

I can't wait to see what Fox can do as a coach with the kind of talent the Giants have on defense, and franchise qb on offense.

Fox can only overachieve with the Panthers for so long. He'd turn his career around with the Giants.

Comment

I am pretty sure you were one of those anti-Freeman guys....has your opinion on him changed yet?

Comment

Freeeeemmaaaaannnzzzzz <3

Holding the fort for me on fantasy till Vick gets back.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
          I am pretty sure you were one of those anti-Freeman guys....has your opinion on him changed yet?
          Yes I was.

It's starting to change. But again, I'm not going to fully comment on him until I really get to sit down and break him down, and unfortunately, I still haven't caught any Bucs games this year.

I could give you a half ass commentary on him, but it would be based off highlights and articles, and it wouldn't be based off what I see with my own eyes, and I try to avoid that kind of commentary.

So I rather stay away and not mention him at all then say something based off highlights and what other ppl say.

But I will eventually get to him and break him down, then I'll have an honest, genuine opinion of his improvements this season.

Comment

Gates is gonna break the TD reception record. The guy is in SSJLvl.9,000!!! mode. Rivers is insane too.

Brandon Lloyd runs two routes: The comeback/hook route where he run 7 years, and turns back to face Orton as he falls to his knees. Orton just drops it in to him on a 3-step drop for an easy completion and gain. The other is the post route. Both of them work well for him, and the first sets up the second with a nice fake.

Finnegan lined up on the opponent's #1 prior to McCourty getting hurt. He did only line up at RCB for a long time, and this past offseason, they decided to put him on the opponent's #1 full time. But after putting in a rookie in Verner, I'm guessing they felt it was best to assign sides of the field to each CB, that way they didn't have to move the rookie all over the field which could cause confusion.

I'm likin' our defensive scheme too. Cecil is much more aggressive than Schwartz was, and watching our DL is like watching Rex Ryan's "controlled chaos" Ravens defenses. The rotation is always changing, and guys are lining up all over the place. It still gives up yards, but that's fine as long as they dictate some of what the offense does.

Matt Ryan has been nothing but above average for the past two seasons. Dunno what's happened with him. Maybe the loss of Turner?
            Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
            Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
            Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

This is missing any thoughts on the Bears.
              Hate them? Or are they semi-real.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Antonio Gates is pretty much crazy. The dude is on pace for 1500+ yards and 22 TD. I'd support an MVP candidacy if he keeps it up.

Prior to this season, I was touting the Chargers as my pick for the best of AFC. I thought they were going to be great. Overall, they've done everything I thought they would. That passing game is crazy effective, the running game is back on track (and that's even without a healthy Mathews) and the defense is better than I would have anticipated. They just aren't winning games. They gave Oakland that win yesterday.

I guess they'll either start playing mistake free football or they won't, but if they do, everyone should look out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  -Matt Ryan is killing me. He's so mediocre. He's my fantasy qb so obviously I have a vested interest in him, but he's just so mediocre. And I'm not talking about his statistics, forget that for a second. I'm talking about his performance, he's just missing guys, he's not getting it out to the right read sometimes, he just doesn't look that great for whatever reason. The defense and run game are doing their part, he has weapons, but he's just doing such a mediocre job out there. He needs to step it up. The Falcons are winning ugly bc Ryan isn't being consistent. If they want to be a true playoff contender and not a 1 and done team come playoff time, they need Ryan to step up.

-Roddy White needs to be seriously considered as a top 5 WR in the league. We never talk about the guy, but he just gets it done. He's the total package as a WR. He's viewed as the same caliber as Greg Jennings, but he's been far more productive than Jennings the past 2 years.

Ryan is simply average, maybe slightly above average at this point. I was willing to write off last year as a combo of sophomore year/injuries/lack of a run game, and just wait for the big improvement this year. I'm still waiting. The only thing I've noticed is that he's more mobile, and has less of a case of happy feet. I agree with him missing guys far too often, but I also think Mike Mularkey deserves a lot of the blame. There were countless times where absolutely no one had a route that got them open, so Matt had to run and chuck it out of bounds. Not to mention, we only see a playaction deep ball to Roddy about once every 4 games when it really should be a major part of our offense.

I will argue with him having the weapons though. Good running game, good run blocking line, decent pass pro line, Roddy White, and a clearly aging Tony Gonzalez. I believe you said it last year, Gonzo's time is coming towards the end. He still attracts attention, and is an extremely reliable target, but his speed and explosiveness is clearly diminished at this point in time. Other than Roddy, there's been nothing, as Harry Douglas has struggled coming off an injury.

And as previously mentioned, Mike Mularkey has gotten away from what made Matt so successful his rookie year. And I will completely agree with us not being a superbowl contender unless Ryan elevates his game. I've stated this countless times.

The thing I can give Ryan is he does live out that "Matty Ice" nickname, as he is a tough ************ who can come through in the clutch. With that, there is the chance he gets on a hot streak in the playoffs ala Eli.

On Roddy, I brought this up to my fellow Falcons fans a couple weeks ago, and I've already seen it mentioned in this thread. I think it's time to place Roddy at that #3 spot.

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                    Brandon Lloyd is a product of the sytem, just like Brandon Marshall was.

This might be the dumbest post I've seen in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                      Brandon Lloyd is a product of the sytem, just like Brandon Marshall was.
                      Do you even watch football?

Comment

Raiders TE Zach Miller is a stud. Our last 3 games he has had 21rec 248yards and 3 tds. He is still 24 years old and well the best player we have on offence. Future pro bowler????

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                        @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                          Raiders TE Zach Miller is a stud. Our last 3 games he has had 21rec 248yards and 3 tds. He is still 24 years old and well the best player we have on offence. Future pro bowler????
                          He'll make the pro bowl once the Raiders get an oline so they won't have to leave Miller in to block half the time.

Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                          This is missing any thoughts on the Bears.
                          Hate them? Or are they semi-real.
                          Don't know yet. It really depends on that run game to me, which prior to the Panthers has looked pretty mediocre. I'll say they're semi-real.

I can see them being 1 and done in the playoffs or maybe a fringe playoff team.

Comment

Brandon Marshall reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson.

The good Keyshawn. Circa the Jets under Bill Parcells. Not the mediocre Keyshawn that went to the Bucs and Cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              He'll make the pro bowl once the Raiders get an oline so they won't have to leave Miller in to block half the time.
                              Even without it, he might make it. He's on pace for 90 catches, 1000 yards, and 10 TD.

Comment

Matt Ryan has been good, not great, his stats bear that out. Doesn't matter though, in the NFC the way it is, with our schedule, we should be an NFCCG team. It is scary that we already went through the difficult part of our schedule and our 4-1 (could have been worse, but who cares).
                                Last edited by Shiver; 10-11-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information