Some 1st Quarter of the Season Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
    Brandon Marshall is not a product of any system, he's a complete beast.
    yeah, if Marshall was the product of the system then why did he have two monster years in two different systems in Denver? It's not like he's doing badly in Miami either. He'd probably be doing a lot better if his QB didn't stink so much.

Comment

Brandon Marshall is much, much better than Keyshawn Johnson ever was. The guy is literally just like Terrell Owens. Only he has had worse QB play thus far in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        Matt Ryan has been good, not great, his stats bear that out. Doesn't matter though, in the NFC the way it is, with our schedule, we should be an NFCCG team.
        I don't like the Falcons playing in cold weather in the postseason.

I can see that happening if they play at home or in a dome/warm weather. If they have to go to GB, Chicago, NY, Philly, or Washington I think they'll be one and done.

Comment

Brandon Marshall is much, much better than Keyshawn Johnson ever was. The guy is literally just like Terrell Owens. Only he has had worse QB play thus far in his career.
          When Keyshawn was a Jet, he was pretty damn dominant. His game was identical to Marshalls.

The thing is, everyone remembers Keyshawn's entire body of work, so he's viewed as a mediocre player. But Keyshawn started his career out as a dominant WR.

He beat down DBs just like Marshall did underneath, and like Marshall was an ok but not great downfield threat.

TO had better speed than Marshall. Marshall wishes he was as fast as TO in his prime.

Comment

Brees does have an MCL injury, and you can certainly see it on his throws. This is a guy that literally won't miss when he sets his feet, and two of those picks were just flat out underthrown balls, and even the TD was a poor throw that Meachem slowed down and had to fall down to catch.

The issues are definitely deeper than just Brees, we are missing Bush's ability to draw a double and free up our mediocre receivers that aren't Marques Colston, and our running game is suffering without Bush and Thomas.

I really think it is the madden curse though when I consider how the Cardinals scored. Really, Max Hall runs and gets destroyed, coughs up the ball. Great play D, right? No, Levi Brown falls on it and scores. Chris Rose sadi that was his first TD ever. Pop warner, high school, college or pro.

Then you have another score where Ladell Betts just coughs it up and it rolls into Rhodes hands and he runs it in.

Curses.... that's what you see when you cause a bunch of fumbles, or you fumble, and every bounce goes the other way :(

Anyway, Bush and Thomas, get well soon. The O-line needs to step up too, I honestly would rather see Strief come in for Stinchcomb.
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

I think ATL might snag home field advantage due to our easy schedule. Even if we don't, you'd think Matt Ryan would be fine in bad weather, he played at Boston College and in Philly in HS.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                I don't like the Falcons playing in cold weather in the postseason.

I can see that happening if they play at home or in a dome/warm weather. If they have to go to GB, Chicago, NY, Philly, or Washington I think they'll be one and done.

We are well positioned for a 2nd seed, if not 1st... like I said, after next Sunday the tough half of our schedule will be over. The only difficult games, well every game is a challenge in the NFL but I digress, will be at home in the Georgia Dome.

Besides, we run the ball and we stop the run. We would be fine in the cold weather. Matt Ryan was a cold weather QB. Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White (college wrestler FTW) are tough as nails. Last year we beat the Jets and took the Giants to OT in the Meadowlands in November. In fact, we may be better off there than having an Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees playing a in dome shootout.

As for Matt Ryan, I firmly feel we have an offense that would have been perfect for the NFL back in the 90s and the early parts of 00s. We don't spread the field with four and five receivers and throw it 40 times a game like most teams do nowadays. Matt Ryan's stats aren't great for fantasy, but I'm not too concerned about that. As long as he keeps his TD/INT ratio at or above 2:1 I will be happy.

Comment

YA KNOW WHOS BETTER THAN THEM?
                  I
                  I
                  v
                  Last edited by BLACK_&_YELLOW; 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM. Reason: ....

Comment

We are well positioned for a 2nd seed, if not 1st... like I said, after next Sunday the tough half of our schedule will be over. The only difficult games, well every game is a challenge in the NFL but I digress, will be at home in the Georgia Dome.

Besides, we run the ball and we stop the run. We would be fine in the cold weather. Matt Ryan was a cold weather QB. Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White (college wrestler FTW) are tough as nails. Last year we beat the Jets and took the Giants to OT in the Meadowlands in November. In fact, we may be better off there than having an Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees playing a in dome shootout.

As for Matt Ryan, I firmly feel we have an offense that would have been perfect for the NFL back in the 90s and the early parts of 00s. We don't spread the field with four and five receivers and throw it 40 times a game like most teams do nowadays. Matt Ryan's stats aren't great for fantasy, but I'm not too concerned about that. As long as he keeps his TD/INT ratio at or above 2:1 I will be happy.
                    Not trying to be a dick, but having trouble with this sentence. Now that's probably me, since I decide take a break from my paper for smoke, but I'm just not getting.

As for the final paragraph all I can say is welcome to what it's like being a Giants fan under Eli's tenure. With a tough and balanced offense that doesn't go pass happy as some of the other NFL teams your offense will be chronically under-rated and the fact that you're deadly proficient with the clock running out will be in large part ignored.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                    Originally posted by JBCX
                    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

One 1st Quarter observation: T.O. and Chad both have their heads somewhere else but football. They need to spend much more time working with Carson. You see INT's in the box score for Palmer but no one sees the drops that set them up, the offensive P.I. penalties in crunch time, or the miscues in route running. It's clear Owens/Ochocinco still have a lot of talent, but they're also a reason we've now dropped two consecutive three point games to below average teams.

Just frustrating. Palmer's played fine this year, well enough to win... now our receivers just need to make an effort.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        -You know that terrible Cardinals team that looks terrible without Warner? They're quietly the best team in the NFC West. I think Seattle gives them a fight, but right now Arizona might win that division.

It just shows you how important coaching is. Whisenhunt is easily the best HC in that division, and is really an underrated HC in the league. He's getting it done with so many new pieces and glaring holes.
                        Indeed, 7 rookies got considerable playing time vs the Super Bowl Champs, we are starting 3 UDFA on offense, lost a HoF QB, an elite LB and a solid safety, then traded away a great WR, but we keep on ticking, 3-2 going into the bye week, hopefully when we come out of it we have Breaston, Doucet, & Hayes back.
                        Last edited by fenikz; 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                          this is totally where i disagree with yfs. if you continuously call the same worthless draw play that works, at best, one out of every 60 times in the nfl (for any team), it's no longer about the players not making plays. it's about the coach not having any idea how to call plays.

*shrug*

we'll see at the end of the season.
                          It's both, if the players where making the plays work, ******** though they may be, the play calling would be fine. Meanwhile a playcaller needs to be able to adjust to the realities of a game and realize when shits not working. Either one can bury you, the players not making plays and the plays just being really ****** and stupidly called.

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                            Not trying to be a dick, but having trouble with this sentence. Now that's probably me, since I decide take a break from my paper for smoke, but I'm just not getting.
                            A running game oriented playoff game may suite us more than trying to keep up with a high flying passing offense in a dome.

As for the final paragraph all I can say is welcome to what it's like being a Giants fan under Eli's tenure. With a tough and balanced offense that doesn't go pass happy as some of the other NFL teams your offense will be chronically under-rated and the fact that you're deadly proficient with the clock running out will be in large part ignored.
                            I agree. I think our expectations are out of whack with Ryan and Flacco. At this point in their careers they are just as good as Philip Rivers, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger were.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                              . It's clear Owens/Ochocinco still have a lot of talent, but they're also a reason we've now dropped two consecutive three point games to below average teams.
                              Below average? We're 3-1, that's above average if you ask me.

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

A running game oriented playoff game may suite us more than trying to keep up with a high flying passing offense in a dome.

I agree. I think our expectations are out of whack with Ryan and Flacco. At this point in their careers they are just as good as Philip Rivers, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger were.
                                Ah, gotcha. I think that's a fair point, although I'm not sure what would be greater the benefit of slowed down passing attacks or the down grade in Matt Ryan's efficiency.

I'm not sure I agree with you about Ryan and Flacco vs Eli, Rivers and Big Ben. I think that's a rough comparison because Flacco and Ryan where both thrown into the fire much quicker than Eli or Rivers especially, and Big Ben spent a few years game managing a great running game and defense while those two have been thrust into more responsibility at an earlier point. While I do agree that they certainly are not guys you worry about, they've got some serious strides to make to reach that Eli, Rivers or Big Ben level and whether they are able to make those strides is still an unknown although I'm a believer in both.

BK

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information