Great article about the behind the scenes of an NFL Agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article about the behind the scenes of an NFL Agent

Some very touchy (and illegal) things here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Great read.

Very good read! I could never be agent and do stuff I knew was wrong. Hence I'd probably not make a very good one. I feel bad for the guy, especially what Ryan Leaf did to him.

Comment

Almost instantly we got some new clients, including troubled Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett (for whom we did some of our best work; a player no team should have touched got taken in the third round)
      My favorite part of the article so far.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
      JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
      Originally posted by abaddon41_80
      Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
      Originally posted by JBCX
      Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

That was a very good read. I have been looking into the sports industry for quite some time now, and for a time was thinking of agenting, but it isn't happening, especially after reading this.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
        Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
          That was a very good read. I have been looking into the sports industry for quite some time now, and for a time was thinking of agenting, but it isn't happening, especially after reading this.
          Yeah, it's certainly not as glamourous as Jerry McGwire or Drew Rosenhaus lead us to believe.

I think a guy needs a case of Tums or Prevacid if in this business. And no conscience would help too.

Santonio Holmes denies it all, LOL. Dude was probably stoned his whole college career, can't remember anything.

Comment

It's a dirty business.

Interesting to see if Kiper loses any credibility bc of this article.

Comment

If you were a good player at UCLA, I made a run at you. I tried to get can't-miss NFL left tackle prospect Jonathan Ogden as a client, but he wouldn't take my money. He did, however, go with me to a Janet Jackson concert. My girlfriend got two tickets, and I told her, "Sorry, I need those tickets for J.O. He's a big Janet Jackson fan." Instead of going to the concert with my girlfriend, I went with a 6'9" guy who weighed more than 300 pounds and who screamed "Janet!" the whole night like a teenage girl.
              and this

I tried to pay UCLA's J.J. Stokes and USC's Keyshawn Johnson, and they said, "No."
              Thought that was funny

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                It's a dirty business.

ESPN is already looking into it, I just read on twitter.
                McShay may take on a more prominent role sooner than later.....

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  It's a dirty business.

Did you read the responses at the end? Kiper addresses it directly.

Definitely a good read, very interesting stuff.

Comment

That Ogden part made me laugh too.

The truth is that being an agent is a tough dirty business.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Originally posted by Vox Populi View Post
                      Did you read the responses at the end? Kiper addresses it directly.
                      Sure, that's what Kiper says.
                      http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...d/Default.aspx

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports that based upon a Sports Illustrated article which includes details of agent Gary Wichard and Mel Kiper Jr.'s releationship, ESPN is looking into those dealing for a potential conflict of interest.

Their relationship could present an ethical dilemma for the all-sports network.

"We just learned of the story today and are looking into it," ESPN said in a statement.

Agent Josh Luchs references Wichard allegedly having Kiper call during a meeting with Stanford defensive tackle Willie Howard.

"Gary and I were talking to Willie in Gary's office when Gary's phone rang, and he put it on speakerphone," Luchs wrote. "'Viper, how are you?' Gary said. That's what he called Mel, Viper or Vipe. 'Viper, I'm sitting here with the best defensive lineman in college football. Do you know who that is?' You must be with Willie Howard,' Mel said."

Comment

If this article means I have to listen to McShay even more then I'll be very upset.
                        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                          If this article means I have to listen to McShay even more then I'll be very upset.
                          It's leading us to more NFL Network coverage perhaps....

Comment

Well I don't get NFL Network so that's a problem for me.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Mel Kiper is damn near untouchable. He is the Godfather of the NFL Draft and he's the only reason it is what it is today. His name being brought up was the only real surprise.

Great read though. Nothing too surprising. Santonio Holmes denying some illegal activities?!?!?!?! Shocker!!
                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                              Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                              I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                              Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                              iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                              Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                              I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                              Originally posted by GoRavens
                              Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information