No announcement yet.

Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay how about you volunteer for sports science and stand in the middle of a field with a blindfold on and a helmet on and let james harrison bull charge with his helmet and drill you, and we can see the effects it has on your brain as well as possible spinal damage in certain situations.
    Pay me a few million and I will happily run head on into Harrison all day.

Honestly... I'd love to see two teams come to a pact and just play flag out there because that is what the NFL wants on passing plays. I'd love to know what Dunta Robinson was supposed to do in that situation according to the NFL. Is he supposed to stay on his feet, allow DeSean to catch the ball and then tackle him? Is he supposed to not touch him at all? In that situation the only way that Robinson could stop a catch being made was to hit Jackson, in the air.

Harrison on Massaquoi is the same deal, if Massaquoi doesn't lower his head he doesn't get hit in the head and again, Harrison's job as a defender is to stop him catching the ball, again, should he stand, wait for him to catch it and then tackle? The whole defenseless receiver rule is a joke. A receiver makes a decision to go for the ball and try and catch it, if he is afraid of being hit, don't try and catch it.

I don't condone helmet to helmet hits like Merriweathers, there is no need for that but the NFL is supposed to be a contact sport and a heavy physical contact sport at that.

If you stop people being allowed to hit the body of receivers then all that is left is the legs and I can tell you that "tunnelling" someones legs out from under them in say the Jackson situation is every bit as likely to cause a concussion and/or neck injuries because you flip them and effectively whip them into the ground, actually further accelerating the impact. If Harrison has to dive at Massquoi's legs to chop him down as the only way to make him drop the ball you are going to get broken legs and destroyed knees, which will end a career far quicker than a concussion or two.

Basically the NFL's obsession with protecting the head will come at the expense of the legs if they continue this way as the only way to stop receivers from taking catches where you have no play at the ball will be to smash through legs to try and flip players and use the ground to create the impact or to break legs in order to inflict so much pain that they drop the ball.

The NFL is just being ridiculous, they changed the rules to create these situations and are now surprised that it has created collisions and want to try and blame someone else. I entirely stand by that having a "rules committee" does nothing but create stupid rushed rule changes, you are employing a whole bunch of people whose livelihood relies on making changes to the game, not making the game better or leaving it be but entirely on making changes.

It really is like a waiter situation, you tell them they are fired if you see them standing around and they will wipe tables that are already clean, in this situation the clean table was the NFL 10 years ago before all the rule changes that had to happen because otherwise you had to fire the waiter...

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Yes so receivers should just say **** catching the ball and doing their job because there might be some asshole who wants to lead with their helmet and concuss them.
      This isn't about those assholes. No one has defended players who are leading with the helmet to try and hurt players, no one in this thread has defended Merriweather. People are angry because the NFL is fining players for perfectly fine hits(Like the one in your avatar for instance) where the head wasn't used to lead. They aren't just targeting the spearing tackles, they are basically targeting all contact to receivers which is just ********.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by wogitalia View Post

Honestly... I'd love to see two teams come to a pact and just play flag out there because that is what the NFL wants on passing plays. I'd love to know what Dunta Robinson was supposed to do in that situation according to the NFL. Is he supposed to stay on his feet, allow DeSean to catch the ball and then tackle him? Is he supposed to not touch him at all? In that situation the only way that Robinson could stop a catch being made was to hit Jackson, in the air.

Harrison on Massaquoi is the same deal, if Massaquoi doesn't lower his head he doesn't get hit in the head and again, Harrison's job as a defender is to stop him catching the ball, again, should he stand, wait for him to catch it and then tackle? The whole defenseless receiver rule is a joke. A receiver makes a decision to go for the ball and try and catch it, if he is afraid of being hit, don't try and catch it.

I don't condone helmet to helmet hits like Merriweathers, there is no need for that but the NFL is supposed to be a contact sport and a heavy physical contact sport at that.

If you stop people being allowed to hit the body of receivers then all that is left is the legs and I can tell you that "tunnelling" someones legs out from under them in say the Jackson situation is every bit as likely to cause a concussion and/or neck injuries because you flip them and effectively whip them into the ground, actually further accelerating the impact. If Harrison has to dive at Massquoi's legs to chop him down as the only way to make him drop the ball you are going to get broken legs and destroyed knees, which will end a career far quicker than a concussion or two.

Basically the NFL's obsession with protecting the head will come at the expense of the legs if they continue this way as the only way to stop receivers from taking catches where you have no play at the ball will be to smash through legs to try and flip players and use the ground to create the impact or to break legs in order to inflict so much pain that they drop the ball.

The NFL is just being ridiculous, they changed the rules to create these situations and are now surprised that it has created collisions and want to try and blame someone else. I entirely stand by that having a "rules committee" does nothing but create stupid rushed rule changes, you are employing a whole bunch of people whose livelihood relies on making changes to the game, not making the game better or leaving it be but entirely on making changes.

It really is like a waiter situation, you tell them they are fired if you see them standing around and they will wipe tables that are already clean, in this situation the clean table was the NFL 10 years ago before all the rule changes that had to happen because otherwise you had to fire the waiter...
        / end of the ************* thread.

Originally posted by WMD
        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
        Originally posted by gpngc
        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
          There intent is to break up the pass. Since they cannot reach out and deflect it or pick it off, their next resort is to separate player from ball, which has been around since the dawn of football. The best defensive back of all-time, Ronnie Lott, did this on a ******* weekly basis. He would be called a repeat offender, a dirty player and suspended every other week in todays game. "Just lunging at a guy." It is the most effective way to break up a pass and the text book, wrap up tackle is not always possible, especially in these situations.

NFLN Playbook just broke down every hit, even the BS Jim Leonard penalty, and talked about each hit extensively. They said, as the rule is written, only Meriweather and Harrison's hit on Massaquoi were illegal, should have been flagged and should have been fines. If Harrison didn't leave his feet, he would have been within the rules.

They all (Sharp, Wilcots, Mayock - former players) think the NFL is taking away from the physicality of the game and Sterling Sharp said by week 17 it will have gotten out of hand. They're fining players for clean hits, within the rules of the rule book they have written. They all blamed DeSean Jackson and Massaquoi as well for not recognizing zone coverage and not stopping in the zone.
          I know the hits are legal by rulebook standards, but if there's a way to keep the physicality of football while reducing the number of head injuries, I'm all for it. And I think it's as simple as fining "torpedo" hits. The hits where players just lunge at guys. If they make the effort to wrap, when separating player from ball, they can use their arms to interfere with the ball, and achieve the same exact thing. From any angle, I can't see any way that wrapping while delivering the boom makes separating a player from the ball any less effective.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
          Originally posted by njx9
          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
            I'm ok with Harrison getting fined. I expected it. But you cannot tell me that Meriweather's hit was less dirty than Harrison's. Meriweather should be getting the 75K, not Harrison. IMO.
            Harrison got fined 75k because he is a repeat offender. Either way why is everyone making a big deal about how much the fines are? A. Its not your money B. This is pocket change to these guys.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

This isn't about those assholes. No one has defended players who are leading with the helmet to try and hurt players, no one in this thread has defended Merriweather. People are angry because the NFL is fining players for perfectly fine hits(Like the one in your avatar for instance) where the head wasn't used to lead. They aren't just targeting the spearing tackles, they are basically targeting all contact to receivers which is just ********.
              Merriweather's hit was cheap but so was Harrison's... They're trying to prevent players from using their helmet as a weapon.

I don't agree with most of it, I think the defenseless receiver **** is stupid as can be, and I think the roughing the passer penalties are even worse and on top of that running into the kicker is the stupidest ******* thing on the face of the earth, but I do understand the helmet to helmet hit IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF they are straight up charging with their helmet down.

Comment

On every single one of the hits last weekend, the penalties/fines/concussions could have been completely avoided by just wrapping up during the hit. On every single one of them, the same incompletion would happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                  On every single one of the hits last weekend, the penalties/fines/concussions could have been completely avoided by just wrapping up during the hit. On every single one of them, the same incompletion would happen.
                  not according to defenseless WR act of 2010. If they drive their shoulder while wrapping up...like what could have been done on the Robinson play, he still would get flag and fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                    Which is why they are saying they will start suspending players that lead with their helmets.
                    That is not going to stop it happening, 99% of them are accidental. Im sure Dunta Robinson didnt intend to knock jackson and himself out. It was just an unfortunately placed collision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakey View Post
                      1. No, and he wont be fined for that, Cribbs was a runner, which negates the rule completely.

and

2. No, this is football, if you cant take a hit to the chops, dont play.
                      Yeah, I don't understand how the Cribbs rule is even an issue at all. That's a completely legal hit on a runner. A runner, by nature, is not defenseless.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                        not according to defenseless WR act of 2010. If they drive their shoulder while wrapping up...like what could have been done on the Robinson play, he still would get flag and fine.
                        I doubt that, for two reasons: First, if the defender tries to wrap up, I think there would be less of a chance of him sliding up the receiver and into his helmet. When a guy goes to wrap up, he naturally takes a lower path, and the arms wrapping around the receiver should stop him from accidentally going much higher. Second, I think if there is contact with the head on a play like that, officials would be less likely to call it because it isn't an obvious torpedo headhunting play.

For the record though, I don't like the idea of implementing this whole thing mid-season. They should do kinda what they did in the NHL, which is wait until the off-season to have meetings to discuss what exactly they can do to improve the situation, try and figure out what does and what does not constitute a legal hit, and then come out with a suspension framework for hits that fall well outside the legal zone. Unfortunately, they're being way too reactionary IMO. It's like the NFL is run by politicians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakey View Post
                          That is not going to stop it happening, 99% of them are accidental. Im sure Dunta Robinson didnt intend to knock jackson and himself out. It was just an unfortunately placed collision.
                          That's why I think suspensions need to wait till the off-season. Right now, it's too late to make any real changes that would be able to balance the physicality of the game and the safety of those who play it, but I think if they sent out clear rules on what a clean hit is to all of the coaches before training camp, they'll be able to implement it for next season. Education is an important part of this imo.

Comment

That's why I think suspensions need to wait till the off-season. Right now, it's too late to make any real changes that would be able to balance the physicality of the game and the safety of those who play it, but I think if they sent out clear rules on what a clean hit is to all of the coaches before training camp, they'll be able to implement it for next season. Education is an important part of this imo.
                            Mike Tomlin seems to be on the same wavelength...

When it comes to helmet-to-helmet hits, the NFL appears to be moving in a direction that’s anything but soft, and while Tomlin is all for player safety he didn’t sound optimistic that all such incidents can be eliminated from the game.

“No, I just don’t know if that is realistic. Helmet-to-helmet contact is going to occur from time to time in football,” said Tomlin. “Things happen fast, and these are big, moving people. I think the issue here is that we coach lowering of the target, to minimize or reduce the number of those opportunities, and we talk about flagrant or egregious approaches.”

Comment

I doubt that, for two reasons: First, if the defender tries to wrap up, I think there would be less of a chance of him sliding up the receiver and into his helmet. When a guy goes to wrap up, he naturally takes a lower path, and the arms wrapping around the receiver should stop him from accidentally going much higher. Second, I think if there is contact with the head on a play like that, officials would be less likely to call it because it isn't an obvious torpedo headhunting play.

For the record though, I don't like the idea of implementing this whole thing mid-season. They should do kinda what they did in the NHL, which is wait until the off-season to have meetings to discuss what exactly they can do to improve the situation, try and figure out what does and what does not constitute a legal hit, and then come out with a suspension framework for hits that fall well outside the legal zone. Unfortunately, they're being way too reactionary IMO. It's like the NFL is run by politicians.
                              That is pretty much what it has come down to after Taglibue left.

They get more money from higher scores, higher ratings. But then have to pay their Qbs, which they then have to protect. Who throw to WR to get the score up, who they also have to protect to get more moneysszzz. Next think you are not allowed to bull rush because of holding calls that slow down the game.

This is not football anymore. As Steve Young said yesterday night, "call it something else, its not football"

Comment

• http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...odule=HP_video

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information