No announcement yet.

Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL: If we cant prevent helmet-to-helmet hits, we might as well make money off of them

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-278368

Comment

• Look at it this way, it's all goin to charity. (sarcastic voice)

By:BK the God

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
        That is pretty much what it has come down to after Taglibue left.

They get more money from higher scores, higher ratings. But then have to pay their Qbs, which they then have to protect. Who throw to WR to get the score up, who they also have to protect to get more moneysszzz. Next think you are not allowed to bull rush because of holding calls that slow down the game.

This is not football anymore. As Steve Young said yesterday night, "call it something else, its not football"
        Steve is just bitter this new crop of QB's probably wont have to have concussion tests weekly and piss blood all day thanks to more rules.

Ever watch a Fox broadcast of a game?
        Ever listen to Terry and Troy speak?

I think suspensions for intentional hits to the head are fine. I don't want to see Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy have to retire early ala Aikman.

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

• I think some people are misinterpreting this new helmet to helmet crackdown. They're going to start suspending players for going helmet to helmet into defenseless players. If a running back is running the ball between the tackles and goes head to head with a defender, they're not going to be handing out any suspensions for that. I don't get why people are so angry over this.

Comment

• Originally posted by wordofi View Post
            I think some people are misinterpreting this new helmet to helmet crackdown. They're going to start suspending players for going helmet to helmet into defenseless players. If a running back is running the ball between the tackles and goes head to head with a defender, they're not going to be handing out any suspensions for that. I don't get why people are so angry over this.
            No, they might. Cause that goes under the category of devastating hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
              No, they might. Cause that goes under the category of devastating hit.
              Not going to happen. Their objective is to protect defenseless players, not two players who collide with each other who are not in a defenseless position.

Comment

• Originally posted by wordofi View Post
                Not going to happen. Their objective is to protect defenseless players, not two players who collide with each other who are not in a defenseless position.
                Then why was James Harrison fined for the Cribbs hit? Cribbs was clearly a runner who was perfectly capable of protecting himself.

Comment

• Schlereth has been on Sportscenter today and the dude is becoming my hero.

He basically blows the NFL up and shows them whos boss, and hes right about all of it.

If you havent seen it watch SC in like 45 fifty minutes and he should be on again i think or look it up online somewhere. makes the nfl look really bad.
                  Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                  Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

• Then why was James Harrison fined for the Cribbs hit? Cribbs was clearly a runner who was perfectly capable of protecting himself.
                    I haven't read anywhere that he was, as far as I know it was all for the Mo hit and was as high as it was because he is a repeat offender.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                      I haven't read anywhere that he was, as far as I know it was all for the Mo hit and was as high as it was because he is a repeat offender.

bonekrusher
                      The Twitters
                      themaninblack

Comment

• Lonnie from Orange Park, FL
                        A lot of people are saying these big hits are a result of bigger, faster players. Isn't it also a result of a league-wide emphasis on passing?

Vic: You get this week’s award for “fan with a brain.” Bless you for allowing me a whiff of intelligence in an outhouse of, well, in an outhouse. I blame the league for these violent collisions. I’m blaming the league because it continued to change a game that didn’t need changing. In its mania for stimulating scoring, it opened the field and created the space that is causing these violent collisions. It’s real simple: The more open-field action the league created, the more collisions that resulted. The old guys were vicious, but they played on a smaller field. The game was compressed. It was pound, pound, pound until you established the run, then you sold play-action and struck deep. OK, I agree, it wasn’t as exciting as today’s frenetic pace of action, but the stadiums were packed and the TV ratings were through the roof. The popularity of the modern game was built on that game. Why did it need to be changed? What is it about packed stadiums and high TV ratings that’s not good enough? The Monday Night Football ratings of today are good but they aren’t in Howard’s and Dandy Don’s league, and we’ve a rash of blackouts occurring. Yes, something has to be done immediately to curb the senseless violence but, in my opinion, the game needs to be tightened a little bit. It needs to throttle back on its pace before it crashes.

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=9397

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706315

Last edited by brat316; 10-20-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• From Adam Schefter twitter:

More fallout: Steelers LB James Harrison was excused from practice today and his agent said Harrison is contemplating retirement
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• So the league gets an excuse to up the fines, fans get to feel like they are protecting their players, ESPN gets another go to topic, everyone gets another 2 games to watch. Everyone wins. Well, except the players, but who cares about them anyway?

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

• I'm sure many of the posters on here have some sort of experience playing competitive football, and I think most will agree with me that even if you form tackle on every play, some helmet to helmet contact with inevitably happen in the course of a game. Helmets are huge, it's kind of unavoidable.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information