No announcement yet.

Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Harrison is not going to retire. He's just pissed off. He needs to stop that.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
      James Harrison is not going to retire. He's just pissed off. He needs to stop that.
      He's a whiny ***** and a drama queen just like with the White House crap

Comment

• Originally posted by James Harrison's Agent
        "This is a very serious issue. James is very concerned about how to play football. If James is going to be fined $75,000 for making a legal tackle, then how do you go play football? It's quite frustrating to James, to coach [Mike] Tomlin, to me, to everybody."
        This made me laugh out loud. How do I play football!? I'm not sure that I even know how to anymore! Woe is me. What a ******* girl, shut your god damn mouth and collect your 6 figure paycheck and be happy. Or just retire and shut the **** up and stop putting on a god damn charade.

Comment

• Schlereth's rant was awesome, caught it earlier on ESPN, especially when he showed them making money off of the big hits, and they had a DVD with basically the same style hit Dunta Robinson laid.

James Harrison is acting like a ***** though, he's not gonna retire. Boohoo 75k is so much off a multi millionaire.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• James Harrison Thinking About Retirement

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Carucci: Former safety's solution
            The NFL fined three players Tuesday for helmet-to-helmet hits, but former safety Rodney Harrison believes only suspensions will stop the trend, he told Vic Carucci. More ...

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
            Lol seriously?

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
              He's a whiny ***** and a drama queen just like with the White House crap
              whiny? your just me he hospitalized your 2 best WR's.

By:BK the God

Comment

• Originally posted by Polamalu_is_God View Post
                engrish prease?

Comment

• I'm pretty sure he is that troll Black_And_Yellow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Polamalu_is_God View Post
                    Is this why we american football?

Comment

• Poor Harrison he cant go helmet to helmet anymore, so restrictive. My only advice to him is they're probably hiring at Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by steelernation77 View Post
                        I'm sure many of the posters on here have some sort of experience playing competitive football, and I think most will agree with me that even if you form tackle on every play, some helmet to helmet contact with inevitably happen in the course of a game. Helmets are huge, it's kind of unavoidable.
                        Mhmm, the way your taught to form tackle with your head up driving into the runner, while the running back is taught to get low and lower your shoulder when your about to take contact, its pretty unavoidable. The whole Harrison thing, he's just trying to prove a point, I highly doubt hes just upset about the money, hes most likely upset over why he lost the money. I mean if I were to get fined for doing my job I'd be pissed too.

Originally posted by WMD
                        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                        Originally posted by gpngc
                        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                          Mhmm, the way your taught to form tackle with your head up driving into the runner, while the running back is taught to get low and lower your shoulder when your about to take contact, its pretty unavoidable. The whole Harrison thing, he's just trying to prove a point, I highly doubt hes just upset about the money, hes most likely upset over why he lost the money. I mean if I were to get fined for doing my job I'd be pissed too.
                          He was fined for the ILLEGAL hit on Mo. Not on Cribbs.
                          This isnt his first time, so clearly it was more than a first timer.

No one has said it will be ANY helmet to helmet contact.

bonekrusher
                          The Twitters
                          themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
                            He was fined for the ILLEGAL hit on Mo. Not on Cribbs.
                            This isnt his first time, so clearly it was more than a first timer.

No one has said it will be ANY helmet to helmet contact.
                            Devastating hits, no one understands how the NFL is defining that, coaches, players etc.... and they havent said they wont fine for any helmet to helmet and with the way things are moving would it surprise you?

Originally posted by WMD
                            Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                            Originally posted by gpngc
                            I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                              Devastating hits, no one understands how the NFL is defining that, coaches, players etc.... and they havent said they wont fine for any helmet to helmet and with the way things are moving would it surprise you?
                              Yes it would.
                              You guys are seriously making mountains out of molehills on this part of it.

Devastating:
                              1. Highly destructive or damaging.
                              2. Causing severe shock, distress, or grief

If the hit to a player is to be devastating, it would have to qualify as one of those. And seeing as a normal clean NFL hit usually (remember, usually) is not highly destructive or damaging, nor does it cause severe shock, distress or grief.

I think they sensationalized the current wording. That is all.
                              Accidents happen, yes. But the number of fake "accidents" will never go down unless they do more to prevent them from occurring. A $50,000 fine is not gonna matter to a man on a $5,000,000 per year contract. Add in it goes to charity and which I believe makes it a tax write off.

Harrison could have made that hit 10 different ways, same result in the play and no injuries.

bonekrusher
                              The Twitters
                              themaninblack

Comment

• Mark Schlereth is a ******* idiot. James Harrison is a ******* idiot.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                                Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information