Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
    Yeah, I totally fail to see how someone listening to Schlereth would get angry at him. All of his points were super valid. None of it makes sense.
    I didn't see it, I guess he wasn't happy with the league's new found worry?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

• He defended helmet to helmet hits. 'Nough said.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
      Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
        Nobody should care whether or not you or I care about player safety. The NFL should care about the safety of their employees though.
        The NFL wants a 18 game schedule, people won't get injuried in those 2 extra games?

Comment

• Originally posted by prock View Post
          He defended helmet to helmet hits. 'Nough said.
          he absolutely didnt, he said the NFL markets these hits, the TVs go to replay to say WOW LISTEN TO THIS HIT!!

here it is

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706315

also this is laughable

League is selling photo of James Harrison's illegal hit
          Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2010 11:12 PM ET

The folks at KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh have uncovered an interesting angle regarding the hit that resulted in the imposition of a $75,000 fine against Steelers linebacker James Harrison.

The league currently is selling photos of the incident involving Harrison and Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, at anywhere from $15.95 to $249.95.

Sorry, but the NFL can't have it both ways. If the league wants to legislate dirty hits out of the game, the NFL should do nothing to profit from those dirty hits.

For now, the NFL is.
          http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-illegal-hit/
          E]

Comment

• Originally posted by Addict View Post
            I didn't see it, I guess he wasn't happy with the league's new found worry?
            It is already on youtube. It is great. He totally rips into the NFL. Brings up points about them selling it and also brings up points about how the want to fine and take the players money but won't give retired players money, when the actual damage comes from playing football, ya know, later in life.

And prock, if memory serves me correct, he said suspend the players when necessary at some point in his rant. So he didn't really defend helmet to helmet hits in the way that it should be punished. (see merriweather hit)

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by prock View Post
              He defended helmet to helmet hits. 'Nough said.
              Helmet to helmet hits are an unavoidable consequence in playing football. Especially as the helmets and facemasks get bigger and more ridiculous every year.

Think about it. The difference between a body hit and a helmet hit is a couple of inches. Try controlling that while you and the other person are both moving at full speed.

Comment

• Schlereth said the players should play two hand touch and see if the fans like it. I think they should try it...

Comment

• Originally posted by K Train View Post
                  i thought schlereth was dead on lol
                  The dude was dead on.

Originally posted by WMD
                  Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                  Originally posted by gpngc
                  I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• I'm completely against this new legislation, but if it is going to happen. All i can hope is that it is not too over-dramatised...the Robinson hit was fine imo, the Harrison hit was illegal and should have been flagged, and the Merriweather hit was a plain cheap shot.

As the rules are, i think the sanctions should be...

- Unintentional "devastating hit"...no punishment (Robinson)
                    - Unintentional illegal hit...penalty flag (Harrison)
                    - Intentional illegal hit...penalty flag + fine (Merriweather)
                    - Repeated intentional illegal hits...fine + suspension

That would make all the sense in the world to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                      Nobody should care whether or not you or I care about player safety. The NFL should care about the safety of their employees though.
                      Sure, the problem is they ******* dont, they care about getting money.

Originally posted by WMD
                      Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                      Originally posted by gpngc
                      I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakey View Post
                        I'm completely against this new legislation, but if it is going to happen. All i can hope is that it is not too over-dramatised...the Robinson hit was fine imo, the Harrison hit was illegal and should have been flagged, and the Merriweather hit was a plain cheap shot.

As the rules are, i think the sanctions should be...

- Unintentional "devastating hit"...no punishment (Robinson)
                        - Unintentional illegal hit...penalty flag (Harrison)
                        - Intentional illegal hit...penalty flag + fine (Merriweather)
                        - Repeated intentional illegal hits...fine + suspension

That would make all the sense in the world to me.
                        too easy and would make everyone happy....why on earth would that even be an option?
                        E]

Comment

• Originally posted by K Train View Post
                          too easy and would make everyone happy....why on earth would that even be an option?
                          Agreed, it also appears the officials/league deciding representatives are too stupid to make good decisions on what is what. The fact that Robinson got the same fine as Merriweather is just plain stupid in my opinion.

Comment

• i wonder are people against the rule or against the suspensions?

cause if they are breaking the rules on purpose which could lead to serious injuries, why are you against it?

Comment

• im more against the suspension idea than the fines, your not gonna see me take up a collection for an NFL player to pay their fine...
                              E]

Comment

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                                i wonder are people against the rule or against the suspensions?

cause if they are breaking the rules on purpose which could lead to serious injuries, why are you against it?
                                I'm against both really with the way that the league is talking about it.

Most of these hits are not on purpose. But regardless of purposeful intent or not, players can get suspended?? When these are huge grown athletic guys running around at full speed.

Another thing I have the big issue with is the fact that it is going to be all defenders suspended. When yes, technicially, they are the ones tackling but the Jackson and Massaquoi both entered into the respective zones of Robinson and Harrison. Offensive players run into those zones knowing someone is waiting on the other side ready to knock their heads off. Offensive players also lower their shoulders and make their heads the first point of contact no matter how one is to tackle most of the time. So how is it strictly the responsibility of the defender to go, "Oh, look he is lowering his head bracing for my impact, I can't try to tackle him now until he passes and then hope I can grab his legs, because even if I hit him as he is running beside me, if I slide up and hit his helmet, I could be suspended."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information