Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
    i wonder are people against the rule or against the suspensions?

cause if they are breaking the rules on purpose which could lead to serious injuries, why are you against it?

The rule has been in place for awhile so it must be the treat of a suspension as there hasnt been anyone miss any time yet. Hopefully this will be a deterent and the players will act accordingly.

I remember when not allowing clotheslining was going to ruin the game and so was doing away with the horsecollar tackle. Somehow i think we'll get through it.

Comment

• I hope James Harrison retires. It's best for the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post
        The rule has been in place for awhile so it must be the treat of a suspension as there hasnt been anyone miss any time yet. Hopefully this will be a deterent and the players will act accordingly.

I remember when not allowing clotheslining was going to ruin the game and so was doing away with the horsecollar tackle. Somehow i think we'll get through it.
        Seriously, the NFL says that they're going to keep on eye on some of these big hits and then review them to see if these things are even needed. It's like the NFL is going to eject a player instantly from a game and suspend him for half the season.

I'm going to wait 2-3 weeks and see how this new enforcement plays out before I declare that the sky is falling. If players don't intentionally ram there head into other players then they will be fine.

Also, if Harrison wants to retire because of this then go right ahead. Just stirring up some drama.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

• there is prolly going to be 1 suspension a year to someone minor.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm definitely going to wait and see how this plays out before I rush to judgment and assume the worst. If the NFL does what I think they're going to do, then I'm in full support. However, if they start suspending for obvious accidental contact then I may have an issue.

Comment

• but then its still fine cause the idea of the rule is still good, the execution is what woudl be wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                So how is it strictly the responsibility of the defender to go, "Oh, look he is lowering his head bracing for my impact, I can't try to tackle him now until he passes and then hope I can grab his legs, because even if I hit him as he is running beside me, if I slide up and hit his helmet, I could be suspended."
                Now that's an extreme exaggeration.

Can't tackle him until he passes, so just hopefully grab his legs? Come on now. Defenders can still plow into a WR or TE, I mean I know **** happens, but let's not act like you can't put your head on the side of a defender and blow your shoulder into his chest, especially if you aim for the mid section. I mean you can even aim for the thighs and wrap around and lift a dude off the ground, but let's not be silly and act like there is no physical way possible to tackle a guy straight on without letting him pass you by first.

I'm not sure if they are teaching guys to tackle or not anymore, but when your going for the kill shot or highlight tackle all you do is stay on your feet, blow your shoulder into their upper body and try to dis lodge the ball or just lunge at their upper body in general and sometimes you make helmet to helmet contact, sometimes not.

Still though if you aim for the mid section and wrap up, your not going to see it as much. I don't blame the defenders when it happens(except for Brandon Merriweather), but I just don't like when people act like this rule is gonna stop people from making any tackles at all face up, or like you said act like they need to let them pass by first.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Can't tackle him until he passes, so just hopefully grab his legs? Come on now. Defenders can still plow into a WR or TE, I mean I know **** happens, but let's not act like you can't put your head on the side of a defender and blow your shoulder into his chest, especially if you aim for the mid section. I mean you can even aim for the thighs and wrap around and lift a dude off the ground, but let's not be silly and act like there is no physical way possible to tackle a guy straight on without letting him pass you by first.

I'm not sure if they are teaching guys to tackle or not anymore, but when your going for the kill shot or highlight tackle all you do is stay on your feet, blow your shoulder into their upper body and try to dis lodge the ball or just lunge at their upper body in general and sometimes you make helmet to helmet contact, sometimes not.

Still though if you aim for the mid section and wrap up, your not going to see it as much. I don't blame the defenders when it happens(except for Brandon Merriweather), but I just don't like when people act like this rule is gonna stop people from making any tackles at all face up, or like you said act like they need to let them pass by first.
                  Yeah, but you aim for that midsection like Robinson does. Now according to the guys if you make helmet to helmet contact, like Robinson did by sliding up just because of momentum, well that is not going to fly with the league.

Defenders will just aim lower, it'll be fine till we see knee injuries and guys getting slammed hard to the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                    Yeah, but you aim for that midsection like Robinson does. Now according to the guys if you make helmet to helmet contact, like Robinson did by sliding up just because of momentum, well that is not going to fly with the league.

Defenders will just aim lower, it'll be fine till we see knee injuries and guys getting slammed hard to the ground.
                    Yup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rash of leg injuries for wide receivers and tight ends in upcoming years. And the league will institute rules changes, penalties, and fines, and WRs will have the same "nipple to navel" strikezone that quarterbacks have right now.

And the league will be happy because every game will be like Green Bay and Arizona's abortion of a playoff game last year.

Comment

• What would be funny is if the NFL players took a stand and no one made a tackle in any game this week. Not sure how much different that is from the regular NFL though.

Comment

• NHL I liked that comment from Mark. I like how they are trying to prevent "defenseless" players from getting hurt. Yet, recently they allowed the force out rule. Which encourages attacking the player while they're in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

That is what Robinson did and he got fined. And if a offensive player lowers his shoulder, therefore, making his head be the first thing the defender can contact, what can be done. The way the rule is stated, you can't tackle them with any part of your body basically when the first thing you touch is the head. And that is what 99% of offensive players lead with 99% of the time.

I don't think I am saying this because I am Steelers fan but James Harrison has never been the flashy guy. I really don't think he was going for some kind of highlight tackle.

Again, offensive players lead with helmets all the time. Hell, isn't it a Bo Jackson highlight or Earl Campbell, one of them, that has them ramming the helmet in to a defenders chest because the defender came at him high. That is what would happen everytime because no matter if the defender does get lower and explodes into the tackle, if the offensive player is leading with the head, then the first thing contacted is the head which according to the rules, can get a player suspended now.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

What a ******* piece of **** he gives two people concussions with hits and loses his mind saying "I can't play football by NFL rules"

Honestly I hope someone blind sides him on a *legal* play and gives him a concussion so bad he has to ******* retire.

What a piece of ****, seriously.

Comment

• I have come to the conclusion that James Harrison is a boss, and Mark Schlereth is a boss.

Comment

• Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                                http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

What a ******* piece of **** he gives two people concussions with hits and loses his mind saying "I can't play football by NFL rules"

Honestly I hope someone blind sides him on a *legal* play and gives him a concussion so bad he has to ******* retire.

What a piece of ****, seriously.
                                I'm surprised he doesn't cause according to the laws of physics he should have one as well.

I think Cribs concussion was caused by two quick blows rather than 1 shot to the head. Look at it, he get hit head to head, and then his head bounce back into the on coming shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information