No announcement yet.

Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schlereth is certainly a boss. Could just tell how furious he was with all of this, all while making very valid points.

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
      I'm surprised he doesn't cause according to the laws of physics he should have one as well.

I think Cribs concussion was caused by two quick blows rather than 1 shot to the head. Look at it, he get hit head to head, and then his head bounce back into the on coming shoulder.
      The Cribbs one wasn't as bad it just made me angry that he just put his head down and didnt even really use his arms to try and tackle cribbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        Yup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rash of leg injuries for wide receivers and tight ends in upcoming years. And the league will institute rules changes, penalties, and fines, and WRs will have the same "nipple to navel" strikezone that quarterbacks have right now.

And the league will be happy because every game will be like Green Bay and Arizona's abortion of a playoff game last year.
        I couldnt agree more with almost every post youve made in this thread. I mean lets look at the rule changes the NFL has made the last few years.

No contact with the WR after five yards
        No hitting the QB in the legs while in the pocket
        No hitting the QB in the head while in the pocket
        Overtime rule allowing both teams to get the ball if only 3 pts are scored
        Now a focus on these devastating hits and helmet to helmet contact

The NFL has completely moved towards an offensive/pass happy league that favors offensives. With all this extra room to move around and zone coverages were obviously going to keep getting these injuries/hits. They keep changing rules and tinkering with rules without thinking of what other aspects of the game might change. Jackey's proposal seems fair, but you also have to think about how the refs are going to call it. I mean not that I mind when this happens, but I've seen Brady get hit with no flag, and then he screams into the refs ear and gets a flag. I'd hate to see this happening with every hit, to any player. Not to mention this is solely punishing defenses. While WRs and RBs can feel free to just lower their heads into a tackler and get a call.

Originally posted by WMD
        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
        Originally posted by gpngc
        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• James Harrison interview:

On the Mohamed Massaquoi hit:

James Harrison: “Even if you want to say is was helmet-to-helmet, it really wasn’t helmet-to-helmet. His helmet hit my shoulder pad if you slow everything down and look at it. We didn’t actually hit helmets. It was the shoulder pad. And he lowered his target area by a good three feet. I mean, there’s nothing really else I can do and that’s why I’m so frustrated. How can I continue to play this game the way that I’ve been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old? And now you’re telling me that everything that they’ve taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you’re supposed to play the game anymore. If that’s the case I can’t play by those rules. You’re handicapping me.”

Host/Gary Williams: “Did you know that the NFL is selling [the photo of] that hit on their online photo store, or at least they were, for $195? Did you know that?”

Harrison: “Yes, I did know that. I found that out this morning. They’re selling the hit that they fined me $75,000 for so I guess they want to get their money on the front end and the back end.”

On his controversial comments about wanting to inflict pain with his tackles:

Host/Steve Phillips: “I appreciate that you play the game hard but by trying to inflict pain, the reality is you can launch yourself into a defenseless player and ultimately injure him. Can you make the same tackle without the idea of trying to inflict the pain? Can you play the game in a way where you go about it saying, ‘I’m going to tackle you but I’m not going to try to hurt you?’”

Harrison: “I’m going to tell you, when you play the game the way that you’re talking about it being played what you have is the Pro Bowl. That’s the type of game you’ll have, is what the Pro Bowl is. We go out there, we play the game, no one is trying to do anything to anyone, everybody wants to get in and out [of] the game. Nobody wants to inflict any pain, you know, nobody gets hurt. That’s what the Pro Bowl is.”

Williams: “James, do you think, to a man, players in the NFL would rather get hit high or low?”

Harrison: “I’ll tell you right now, if I’m running blind and I don’t see the guy coming at me, by NFL rules, if he was to go and shoot at my knee and blow my whole knee out, that is a legal hit. All day. If you see me running blind and I don’t see you, please hit me high and knock me silly. I’ll pay your fine for you. Just don’t hit me in my knee and end my career.”

Phillips: “Obviously, a $75,000 fine is pretty significant. And every indication is that if you hit somebody like that again this week you will be fined again. Can you function under those rules? And if you sit down with Coach Tomlin and it’s something you can’t [do], are you truly going to walk away from the game?”

Harrison: “If I can’t get a clear understanding of exactly what I got fined for. If I got fined for what is right there on that tape, then I don’t see how I can continue to be effective and play this game. I mean, literally, you’re handicapping me. You’re taking away what, like I said, I was taught for the last 20 years on how to play the game. I can’t go in there and do what it is that I do, that I have been doing, and be effective. So, yeah, that is something that I’ll have to consider doing. I mean, I’m afraid to go out here and play the game the way I’ve been playing it. I mean, literally.”

Williams: “Your words, the idea of not trying to injure but hurt, I think that exacerbated the amount of money that you were fined, because of what you said. I really believe that.”

Harrison: “Ok, well, I’ll no longer say that. I don’t want to hurt anyone. I don’t want anyone to feel pain. I don’t want to do anything like, these are my words, please spread this around. James Harrison does not want to hurt anyone. I want to just make sure everyone gets out, no nothing. I don’t want anyone hurt. It’s a physically demanding game and I just don’t want anybody to get hurt. I don’t want to hurt anyone anymore. James Harrison does not want to hurt anyone.”

Phillips: “What are the chances we see you playing against Miami this weekend?”

Harrison: “I really don’t know.”
          I think he's definitely got some valid points. I liked what he said about the Pro-Bowl and how players will rather get knocked out than injure their legs.

And the things with these helmet to helmet hits is that the league doesn't fine most of them, only the flashy ones. If someone gets a concussion or gets a bit dinged up, then yes, fine. If nothing happens, then no fine.

Example:

At the 55 second mark. Obvious helmet-to-helmet hit. You can hear the helmets hitting. But Mendenhall was carrying the ball and didn't get hurt, so nothing.

He didn't even try to tackle Mendenhall with his arms, look at T.J. Ward's left arm, he didn't even try to wrap up. He threw himself helmet-first towards Mendenhall's helmet, plain and simple. Don't say Mendenhall adjusted and that's why the helmets hit each other, he didn't move his head at all to prevent the hit, and neither did Ward. And to top it off, #53 wound up tackling Mendenhall by the facemask.
          Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 10-20-2010, 07:52 PM.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Weren't all the Browns fans defending TJ Ward and doing cut ups on here to show how it wasn't a dirty hit, like, two weeks ago?

Comment

• Lol Harrison is such a punk ass. I have no respect for him. Threatening to retire from the NFL because you don't like Godell, that's weak. You think Roger actually gives a flying hoot if Harrison retires? Harrison is just being a gigantic baby. Guys are suspended for tweeting, he just needs to suck it up. He just got paid mad money so he needs to stop whining. He's acting like he's going to get fined for every hit. It was one freak play. I hate when people pull stunts like this. This isn't proving any point at all. All this is doing is making you miss practice time for something that won't be changed.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• pretty much. There are better ways to hate on it then this.

Comment

• I'm surprised Harrison was able to string that many words together and actually make it sound coherent. The main reason he doesn't care about concussions is because he's already too braindead for them to affect him.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                      I'm surprised Harrison was able to string that many words together and actually make it sound coherent. The main reason he doesn't care about concussions is because he's already too braindead for them to affect him.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• threatening to take your ball and going home is always an effective strategy in life

Personally, I think if they removed the Polian rule, there'd be less zone, more man coverage, and less opportunities for these type of hits.

Comment

• I don't like that he is not going to practice and is putting on this big thing about him maybe retiring. But I'm also not worried about him not being prepared for Sunday's game. I mean Hines, Troy, Aaron Smith, and Hampton get extra days off from practice all the time.

He will still be ready to go against Miami.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Weren't all the Browns fans defending TJ Ward and doing cut ups on here to show how it wasn't a dirty hit, like, two weeks ago?
                            I really don't want this to get trapped at the end of the last page.

Wonderbredd makes an interesting point on the prevalence of zone coverage now because of the five yard chuck rule, and it leading to defenders getting more kill shots on receivers.

I think an interesting analogy here is when cities started putting cameras on street lights to catch people running red lights. The unintended consequence was a rash of rear end accidents from people slamming on their brakes to avoid running a yellow turning red. A lot of unintended consequences happen from ideas that sound great in a vacuum.
                            Last edited by yourfavestoner; 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I really don't want this to get trapped at the end of the last page.
                              Were they talking about that same Mendenhall hit? I didn't read those posts.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                                Were they talking about that same Mendenhall hit? I didn't read those posts.
                                It was the TJ Ward/Shipley hit.

Also, jvig made a good point about receivers changing their playing style as well in an effort to draw more penalties. We've already seen how well they can sell pass interference/illegal contact calls. We've seen quarterbacks cry about getting their helmets barely tapped and get calls. Why wouldn't offenses start trying to take advantage of this rule as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information