Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    Why protect the QB and not the other players?

Moreover, OP, why would a QB feel comfortable putting his teammate, who he relies upon and works with everyday, in harms way as a result of this rule?
    I'm okay with protecting the QB to a degree, for the reason the OP stated. He is sitting in the pocket, standing tall. I think the rules of protecting the QB should be dialed down a ton as well though.

As soon as the QB leaves the pocket, I think all bets should be off, he is scrambling a.k.a. running and should be allowed to be blasted as such, even when behind the line.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Nobody can say with a straight face that the hit Brandon Meriweather put on Todd Heap yesterday was accidential. Meriweather should absolutely be suspended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1CmHk9GK0

Comment

Originally posted by PackerLegend View Post
        I see no problem with suspensions at all. Were talking 20 some year olds who can get paralysed and 1 just did this weekend. The fines these guys get are pocket change that have no effect. Some of these hits are malicious and could be avoided. Some are unintentional but really its not like we see 56764 a game just a few over the season. Footballs a violent game and things happen. Not every helmet to helmet hit deserves a suspension but a few do. Just as long as the NFL doesn't go to crazy with suspensions.
        It's one thing if a helmet to helmet is unavoidable, but it's completelty different when a player like Brandon Meriweather launches himself right into Todd Heap's helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by wordofi View Post
          Nobody can say with a straight face that the hit Brandon Meriweather put on Todd Heap yesterday was accidential. Meriweather should absolutely be suspended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1CmHk9GK0
          Cleaning it up to say to guys 'Look, we are making it less likely you get hurt. Give us more games/money and we will continue to protect you to the extreme.'

While they are at it they will also soon throw in more rules to stop defenses from being able to stop offenses and resort to the CFL plan of defenders needing to be at least 1 yard off the ball at the line of scrimmage...anything for more yards right?

*note this isn't the quote i meant to do....but i'm too lazy to switch it.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
          You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

The Cribbs hit wasn't a problem to me...

The Massaquoi hit is everything the supposed rules are trying to stop. Massaquoi was defenseless, Harrison, led with his head, and went helmet to helmet. There was a flag on the play... delay of game on Alex Mack. No call on Harrison.

Considering that people were calling TJ Ward dirty when he led with his shoulder, it's funny that James Harrison is just playing physical football.

You're supposed to see what you hit... Harrison puts his head down and uses it as a weapon when he hits. When he goes and gets himself seriously injured like David Pollack did having his head down going into Reuben Droughns' shoulder, I will not be surprised.

If you don't want to call the rule as written, don't have it on the books.

Comment

Can we just acknowledge for a moment the degree of severity head injuries have historically caused in the NFL? A study the NFL commissioned that was released last year found that the the general occurrence of brain diseases among former NFL players between 30 and 49 was 19 times higher than the national average among men.

I know we have a certain investment in the game, being fans who enjoy big hits and the like, but for us to sit here and condemn a movement by the owners and the league to protect their players from doing serious and irreparable damage to their brains and succumbing to serious memory loss before age 50 is ******* insane and mildly disgusting.

I think it should be all within reason and right now the league is struggling to adequately lessen dangerous hits. It's not perfect right now. But what's happening to these people who we promptly forget about the moment they stop suiting up on Sundays is ******* tragic, and to pretend otherwise is stupid.

I love this sport and I want it to keep being exciting, but I am not against greater safety and neither should you be.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                I'm okay with protecting the QB to a degree, for the reason the OP stated. He is sitting in the pocket, standing tall. I think the rules of protecting the QB should be dialed down a ton as well though.

As soon as the QB leaves the pocket, I think all bets should be off, he is scrambling a.k.a. running and should be allowed to be blasted as such, even when behind the line.
                The way they tried to do that is bad. Anytime someone touches the QBs helmet is too far. So often a defender just taps the QB and gets the 15 yard penalty.

I am for penalties against purposely going after another players helmet with your helmet, but I would hate it if any helmet to helmet contact became a penalty.

Comment

I have no problem with Merriweather trying to lay people out, leading with his helmet is stupid I agree, but I want my defenders to get after it like he does.

Originally posted by WMD
                  Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                  Originally posted by gpngc
                  I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

But this doesn't improve safety. The hits are going to happen anyways. This is just punishing players from what 80%+ of the time happens naturally in the game.

They could put a note out to every player that helmet to helmet hits will get you thrown out of games, fined $100,000, and suspended for the next 5 games and these hits would still happen. It is just a part of the game. It happens. Yes, some of them could be avoided but most of them is just one guy lining up another guy and lowering the load and seeing who comes out the victor.

Comment

Heaps mouthpiece was flying it was great.

Anyway, just like Packerlegend said suspensions is what has to happen. 2-3 games? depending on the severity maybe 1. The fines are useless to dudes that make bajillions of dollars like Merriwether, Harrison and Dunta.
                      Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                      Coples is that dude.
                      Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

Seriously wtf? You dont need to intentionally spear helmet to helmet to have a big hit. Apparently thats hard to understand.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

Seriously wtf? You dont need to intentionally spear helmet to helmet to have a big hit. Apparently thats hard to understand.
                          Exactly... the biggest and best hits are usually the cleanest

Comment

Who is saying that you need to spear helmet to helmet to have a big hit?? I have pretty much read every post in this thread and I don't remember seeing it.

For those against the suspensions, I think the consensus is that helmet to helmet hits just happen naturally in the sport of football. Sometimes they are worse than others and sometimes players do lead with the helmet. But more often than not it is just one football player running into another football player. It is a contact sport for crying out loud.

Comment

Meriweather launced with his head only, he was intentionally going for helmet to helmet. The only time guys like that feel sorry is when they seriously injure another player, but as long as the WR gets up a lot of these defenders could care less about being fined for helmet to helmet contact. I'm actually in agreement with this suspensions. Of course there will be grey areas but these players need to learn how to hit properly. People don't care now but if Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald miss the year because of helmet to helmet contact people all of a sudden will be crying for more action.
                              Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP; 10-18-2010, 10:26 PM.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                                Who is saying that you need to spear helmet to helmet to have a big hit?? I have pretty much read every post in this thread and I don't remember seeing it.

For those against the suspensions, I think the consensus is that helmet to helmet hits just happen naturally in the sport of football. Sometimes they are worse than others and sometimes players do lead with the helmet. But more often than not it is just one football player running into another football player. It is a contact sport for crying out loud.
                                Exactly no one here has said they want their players spearing anyone, we just want our defenders to be able to keep playing hard hitting football.

Originally posted by WMD
                                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                                Originally posted by gpngc
                                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information