Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamen from Bethel, CT
    I've noticed this trend of giving up leads late, as well, Vic. I'm pretty sure the overuse of prevent defense has something to do with it.

Vic: I have an idea. Teams are getting down two and three touchdowns and not having to pay a penalty for their poor play because the game favors passing and now they have to pass every down and they get four downs to do it, instead of three, right? In my mind, you have to make this team pay for their predictability. They put themselves in this situation and now they have to pay for not being able to run the ball. So how do you make them pay? By getting the defensive linemen off the field and getting every defensive back and speed linebacker you have on the field, for the purpose of creating havoc in the pass-rush. Let’s say we’re playing “dime.” In front of that coverage we’ve got three defensive backs and two linebackers rushing. They are creating havoc because they are running side to side in pre-snap, waiting for the snap of the ball, at which time they dart into the gaps between the blockers. The blockers are going crazy because they don’t know which guy they’ll have to block. They’re getting edgy and then one of them false-starts. We could also do this out of sunburst formation. Crazy? Sure it is, but how crazy was it to drop the nose tackle into pass-defense in the zone-blitz? The prevent is outdated. It doesn’t work. It’s better not to get a big lead because you’ll just find yourself having to recover an onside kick with a minute to play. Attack! That’s the key. Always attack! This defense allows you to attack with speed players and a scheme that will overwhelm offenses until they have an offseason to scheme against it. Isn’t that what the “wildcat” did to defenses? It caught them by surprise. What would I call this defense? I’d call it “Hell.”

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=9544

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

"Hell" is what the NFL is putting me through this year with all these "explosive" offenses and absolutely ******* awful defenses. If I have to watch one more blowout primetime game, I'm going to flip out.

Comment

• I wonder how much Ryan Clark and James Harrison are going to get fined for their "penalties".

Comment

• I really miss hard nose defense and smash mouth running. I'm starting to like watching Browns games. Hopefully the Vikings get back to running and I can start watching their games.

Comment

• Hopefully the Vikings get back to running and I can start watching their games.
          That would be so freaking awesome!

So Asante Samuel is apparently a repeat offender despite having never been fined before. Asante freaking 'ole Samuel is now laying enforcer type hits, this is a guy who would be considered one of the greatest corners if he had ever tackled or hit something throughout his career.(I haven't seen the hit but 40k seems a lot).

That Ask Vic stuff is awesome... how good would it be if ESPN had someone like that who actually spoke his mind and agreed with fans.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• I loved when the Pats won games by like 9-0 and such. So awesome. Now if Harrison and that D were playing in this NFL they'd all be out for good. I loooooved Harrisons roughing the passer penalty on Cambell by falling on him. He tackled the guy, how the **** is he not supposed to fall on him?

Originally posted by WMD
            Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
            Originally posted by gpngc
            I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• I loved when the Pats won games by like 9-0 and such. So awesome. Now if Harrison and that D were playing in this NFL they'd all be out for good. I loooooved Harrisons roughing the passer penalty on Cambell by falling on him. He tackled the guy, how the **** is he not supposed to fall on him?
              Duh... obviously needs to do ninja training so that he can use wicked ninja skills to not land on him. How could you miss something so obvious!

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• that kind of crappy calls existed before the rule though.

Comment

• I was trying to explain American football to a Columbian (a soccer fan) who had never seen the sport before. I couldn't get him to understand it and I can't say I really blame him. I sort of gave up on that and brought up the concussion issue that has been coming up recently. His face went dead blank serious and he was completely shocked and empathetic for the players. Also one of his first comments was "But they get paid lots of money". Very interesting conversation that gave me something to think about lately.

Edgar the Columbian
                  Last edited by umphrey; 11-26-2010, 07:41 AM.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

• Can someone explain how the Harrison hit is worthy of a fine?

"It was illegal because the initial contact with the defenseless quarterback's chest was made with his helmet," Signora said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "It was not a late hit. It was not a hit to the head. And he pulled off the quarterback when they hit the ground. Although it was not flagrant, as a multiple offender of the rules in this area, Harrison received a significant fine."
                    WTF since when did this become a rule?

Also its looking like Harrison is in the lead for DPOY. Hahah how great would that be.
                    Last edited by brat316; 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Hahahahaha this league is such a joke. I shouldnt be laughing, it's actually kind of sad. Why do we even put pads on the QB anymore, lets just make it official, no more hitting QBs anymore. Or WRs, those guys should wear the red practice jerseys and will be down as soon as people two hand touch them. No one will sympathize for Harrison, but if were someone more likable this would be a much bigger issue imo. Even Harrison haters have to look at some of these calls and just roll their eyes.

Originally posted by WMD
                      Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                      Originally posted by gpngc
                      I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• AZ doesn't play hard enough for helmet to helmet hits

Comment

• Again, I must know. Will Celek be fined for this hit? Seems only fair.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                            Can someone explain how the Harrison hit is worthy of a fine?

WTF since when did this become a rule?

Also its looking like Harrison is in the lead for DPOY. Hahah how great would that be.
                            i think in harrison's case they wont to make clear that they dont want him to lead with his helmet no matter where he hits. i guess.

Comment

• Was the hit fineworthy? Probably not. Yet another example of how much of a dirty player he is? Yes. Yes it is.

Was Mike Tomlin's rant about Harrison's kid's college funds the most ridiculous **** said by a coach this season? No question.

Are the Steelers the biggest batch of crybabies in the NFL? Absolutely.

Comment

• "It was illegal because the initial contact with the defenseless quarterback's chest was made with his helmet," Signora said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "It was not a late hit. It was not a hit to the head. And he pulled off the quarterback when they hit the ground. Although it was not flagrant, as a multiple offender of the rules in this area, Harrison received a significant fine."
                                Can someone clarify for me the difference between a defenseless quarterback and a fully defended quarterback? Especially since he hit him in the chest. I didn't see this play for the record but I think this is a pathetic distinction in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information