Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
    If they want less hits, stop making a pass friendly league.

If the WR is going to go over the middle he is going to get hit. There are some guys who are going to the helmet to helmet hit, and you have to take them out. But sometimes it just happens and where do you draw that line.

Also by taking the player out(suspending) is this making it a better product for the fan...like they want.

I still think the defenseless WR is a dumb rule, makes no sense. What your not suppose to get their the same time as the ball does? Or let him establish possession, make a football move and have 2 steps and then hit him...no dropped passes ever cause of collisions then.

Also those using your hard shell as a weapon is bad, but its almost that, or use your face mask. Your face mask sticks out over your whole body, you think it might get crushed? Or worse they get whip lash or neck snaps back.
    This is true. The more wide open and the faster people are moving, the more violent the collions are. Everything is in a much closer, contained area when running the football. You might see some more leg and ankle injuries, but defenseless guys jumping in the air won't be getting their bell rung.

Comment

Also those using your hard shell as a weapon is bad, but its almost that, or use your face mask. Your face mask sticks out over your whole body, you think it might get crushed? Or worse they get whip lash or neck snaps back.
      Um, what? Have you ever played football? Anyone who's even played a year of football as a high school freshman would know the two options most certainly are not "either hit them with the crown of your helmet or hit them with your facemask".

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
        Are a lot of these hits the result of bad tackling form?
        Some of them, definitely

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
          Um, what? Have you ever played football? Anyone who's even played a year of football as a high school freshman would know the two options most certainly are not "either hit them with the crown of your helmet or hit them with your facemask".
          I have. Just look at those hits where they lead with the crown, say instead they look up...what then goes smash. Robinson lead with his shoulder, but his head still came down and so then does the top of his helmet.

This is why they should practice tackling in training camp, and take guys to the ground instead of thuds.

Comment

Are there any physics majors here?

Can anyone scientifically (but in English) explain to me what would happen to players heads if the outside ot the helmet had some type of thin padding to it? Very thin, kind of thin, bigger, etc.

Anyone ride/play bumper cards as a kid? Those bumbers have some absorption to them on the extrerior, not rock hard.

When players get fingers ripped up, smashed, broken, by rock hard helmets, I've always wondered why the aren't padded on the outside. Now all these concussion crushing head shots..... anyone here have a physics background here able to explain this?

Comment

Suspensions coming for "devastating hits" and "head shots". They wrote it so ambiguous that they can use it whenever the hell they want. I say watch a guy play over an entire season as blocks of time frames. Hand down penalties and fines when it happens. When a guy starts ringing up a tab let him know that hey you are making illegal hits - fix it or we'll kick you out of the league. Don't slap a suspension on a guy right away for the next week for bad timing. That's not fair to him or the fans.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

I'm not a physics major, but I've always understood that NFL helmets are designed to take a lot of the physical force and distribute it across the surface. The surface is hard so that the force can transfer along the entire surface area instead of being localized. I imagine (really, this is just me speculating) that a padded exterior would keep the force more localized since the distribution of force would be less efficient. I have no idea what a very thin layer would do, but I can imagine it would lessen the degree that the hard shell could take the force.

I don't have data as to whether it would be a net gain or loss, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be a gain.

Comment

Not all players are going for these hits. Its only a some players that intentionally look to get helmet on helmet or target the head. Yes there is some incidental contact, but these aren't accidental hits. They target the other players head and get these high tackles.

The only hit I really have a problem with is the Merriweather hit. I want my defense to play fast and aggressive, but only if they can control themselves.

These guys will continue to do it because there is no real consequence. A current fine is a drop in the bucket. A suspension/major fine would make these guys (those who target the head/lead with the helmet) step back and change how they come at a player, or face a suspension.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

If they want less hits, stop making a pass friendly league.
                    It took this long, but someone finally got it.
                    I don't really have anything to say for my sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                      I'm not a physics major, but I've always understood that NFL helmets are designed to take a lot of the physical force and distribute it across the surface. The surface is hard so that the force can transfer along the entire surface area instead of being localized. I imagine (really, this is just me speculating) that a padded exterior would keep the force more localized since the distribution of force would be less efficient. I have no idea what a very thin layer would do, but I can imagine it would lessen the degree that the hard shell could take the force.

I don't have data as to whether it would be a net gain or loss, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be a gain.
                      You are correct. Imagine a helmet getting hit by a hammer. With the rigid outer body the molecules of the entire outer body shell vibrate and transfer the energy from the hit to the foam padding touching the majority of your forehead. You do the same thing to a helmet that is not rigid then you put a dent in a guys head. If you do the same thing to a helmet that has a layer of rigid hard plastic sandwiched inside of two pads, you get the same effect as the original, except you have added mass and thus momentum (increasing damage) and volume (increasing probability of occurrence).

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

I'm livid right now. **** Roger Goodell. Such a goddamn overreaction this is going to ruin the league.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                        12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

Originally posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
                          I'm livid right now. **** Roger Goodell. Such a goddamn overreaction this is going to ruin the league.
                          yeah pretty much

Comment

The only hit worthy of suspension was the merriweather one. If they are going to start suspending guys for laying the wood like Robinson and Harrison did then they are going to ruin the league. Suspending a player for putting a "devastating" hit on someone is the worst idea i have ever heard. Clearly leading with the helmet resulting in a helmet to helmet is the only justifiable grounds for a suspension, everything else is pussyshit. This is the NFL, none of these players are being forced to play, if you cant take the hits go find yourself a 9-5

Sig by Me

Comment

what about shoulder to helmet?

Comment

what about shoulder to helmet?
                                if its a hard hit, the player will be suspended

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information