X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Complex View Post
    if its a hard hit, the player will be suspended
    Which is an absolute embarrassment to the game of football
    Last edited by JETS5128; 10-19-2010, 12:03 AM.

Sig by Me

Comment

Oh whatever. There's been plenty of hits that were flagged for unnecessary roughness that didn't result in any fine or suspension. Let's not suffer the doomsayers in this thread.

Comment

A forceful shot to the head should be a suspension. I said it when Welker got cheap shotted by Eric Smith and I said it after Brandon Meriweather tried to do it to Todd Heap.

With what is coming out now about head injuries, this is completely unacceptable. You don't have to go for the head. I'm all for forceful hits to the body, but a cheap-shot to the head to try to concuss someone and get them out of the game is just unacceptable.
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
          Oh whatever. There's been plenty of hits that were flagged for unnecessary roughness that didn't result in any fine or suspension. Let's not suffer the doomsayers in this thread.
          Hopefully this continues to be the case. But you would think not after the NFL issues a statement that there gonna crackdown

Sig by Me

Comment

Remember those days? The NFL defended that hit and said it was clean, ESPN went apeshit and yelled,"************, you JACKED UP!!!!" And all was right with the world.

Now a player gets hurt and everyone is bitting their nails and saying, "This game is BULLSH!T!!!! Why are these big, mean defenders doing this?!?!?!!?"

How far we've fallen in just two short years. What a shame.
            Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
            Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
            I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
            Originally posted by bearsfan_51
            iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
            Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
            I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
            Originally posted by GoRavens
            Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

I'm completely fine with suspending guys for blatantly going for the head, it's dangerous and unnecessary. The only problem I have is the league hasn't been all that great when it comes to enforcing rules like this properly. What happens when there's a helmet to helmet hit that by all accounts appears to be unintentional? Sometimes the offensive player moves/reacts at the last minute and **** happens. I don't exactly trust the leagues judgment when it comes to discerning between what merits punishment and what doesn't in situations like that.

Take the roughing the passer rule for example, there's hardly a week that goes by where we don't see someone getting a penalty or fine for a "hit" on the QB that was actually more of a love tap. The difference is now there's the possibility that guys will be getting suspended for it.

Comment

Not a fan at all of suspensions, suspensions punish the fans far more than the players, I say that as someone who has watched AFL(Aussie Rules) for years and they have gotten continually softer with these same sorts of moves that just result in players being punished for things that are already covered in the rules.

I don't mind fining players for hits like Merriweathers, I would say that Massaquoi was at least as much to blame for the helmet to helmet contact with Harrison as he protected himself by lowering his head.

I'm fine with fines and flags for malicious helmet to helmet hits, but there absolutely needs to be a distinction between helmet to helmet and incidental helmet to helmet, where due to the speed, force and other circumstances there happens to be a head clash. Head's are going to clash in the sport and that should not be a penalty.

NFL really is going overboard right now with trying to make changes, it is very similar to the AFL right now, when you have a rules committee whose sole job is to review and change rules then you are paying people to mess with the game, their jobs DEPEND on them making changes, whether they are needed, justified or actually good for the game. It's like any job, you tell someone they will be fired if they aren't doing anything and they will find something to do, even if it is a waiter just wiping an already clean table, rules committees are the same thing, the sport is fine but their jobs depend on them creating something wrong and changing it, it's a stupid system.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
                  I'm completely fine with suspending guys for blatantly going for the head, it's dangerous and unnecessary. The only problem I have is the league hasn't been all that great when it comes to enforcing rules like this properly. What happens when there's a helmet to helmet hit that by all accounts appears to be unintentional? Sometimes the offensive player moves/reacts at the last minute and **** happens. I don't exactly trust the leagues judgment when it comes to discerning between what merits punishment and what doesn't in situations like that.

Take the roughing the passer rule for example, there's hardly a week that goes by where we don't see someone getting a penalty or fine for a "hit" on the QB that was actually more of a love tap. The difference is now there's the possibility that guys will be getting suspended for it.
                  We're already seeing the effect of the "defenseless receiver" rule. The Jets safety, Jim Leonard, had a 15 yard penalty for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Brandon Lloyd... and he wasn't even close to his head. It was an atrocious call. But because Leonard hit him high, they threw the flag. It was a terrible call. No one is talking about it because there was more physical play from last week that covered it all up.

This is what happens when the NFL writes more rules and creates more vague rules than the game deserves. You have TDs taken away in week 1 and you have clean hits getting flags, fines and now... suspensions. The game will no longer be decided on the field. We all have to get used to that depressing fact. The outcome will come down to a penalty, phantom or not. A bullsh.t rule or a ******** call. Its Roger Goodell's NFL. And nothing gets fans more pleased with the NFL than talking about rules and penalties and not what actually happens on game day. James Harrison had 11 tackles, 1 FF and 1.5 sacks... but we're talking about him possibly getting suspended instead.

I just can't wait for 18 games of it. 16 isn't enough.
                  Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                  Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                  I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                  Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                  iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                  Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                  I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                  Originally posted by GoRavens
                  Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                    NFL really is going overboard right now with trying to make changes, it is very similar to the AFL right now, when you have a rules committee whose sole job is to review and change rules then you are paying people to mess with the game, their jobs DEPEND on them making changes, whether they are needed, justified or actually good for the game. It's like any job, you tell someone they will be fired if they aren't doing anything and they will find something to do, even if it is a waiter just wiping an already clean table, rules committees are the same thing, the sport is fine but their jobs depend on them creating something wrong and changing it, it's a stupid system.
                    I don't think this is the case. I think it was the 3 hours before the game, 3 hours after the game, and during the game ESPN spent talking about it, plus all weekend, and the week before this one, and the week before that.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                      I'm inclined to call you biased since this is completely and 100% inaccurate.
                      I'm inclined to agree. Slowing it down Harrison was using his shoulder[whether or not he intended to hit with his head is arguable] and not his head-he did launch-but I don't have a problem with hits like this. Similar to the TJ Ward hit, they're probably avoidable, but it's part of the game imo. But his other hit was deliberate.
                      Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                      Meriweather launced with his head only, he was intentionally going for helmet to helmet. The only time guys like that feel sorry is when they seriously injure another player, but as long as the WR gets up a lot of these defenders could care less about being fined for helmet to helmet contact. I'm actually in agreement with this suspensions. Of course there will be grey areas but these players need to learn how to hit properly. People don't care now but if Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald miss the year because of helmet to helmet contact people all of a sudden will be crying for more action.
                      And that's exactly what Harrison's hit on Cribbs was. Harrison made a split-second decision to spear to the guy's head. As Harrison runs up from the side he see's Cribbs getting held up, barely moving forward and unaware of him-he targets Cribbs head and lowers his, attempting to run through and spear him...

...mission accomplished. Unfortunately that grey area means the new rule will apply to any and all hits unless they'll start using replay to determine what was legal, nonlegal.
                      Last edited by Brown Leader; 10-19-2010, 05:07 AM.

Originally posted by borg9
                      Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

Originally posted by BigBanger View Post

Now a player gets hurt and everyone is bitting their nails and saying, "This game is BULLSH!T!!!! Why are these big, mean defenders doing this?!?!?!!?"

How far we've fallen in just two short years. What a shame.
                        No, that's called progress.
                        We don't need players heads knocked off in this game.
                        This sport is the best, and that kind of missile launching is unnecessary and dangerous period.

The rule for decades was for a defender to SEE WHAT THEY WERE TRYING TO TACKLE.... the hits we saw Sunday showed that all these defenders eyes were pointed at the ground, because their rock-hard shells were pointed at the victims head.

The NFL is great without these things, so if they can clean it up and save some guys head from getting busted, jaw from getting broken, even protect the head-hunter from paralyzing himself, then they need to act sooner than later.

Comment

Suspensions are more expensive than fines, they caost players gamechecks. When in doubt, or there media pressure Goodell always uses his heaviest caliber punitive weapons.

I guess we can add Merriwether, Harrison and Dunta Robinson to Haynesworth on the All Dirtiest Players in the NFL defense now.

All you ADPitNFL wannabees: Hurry & get a suspension, light up somebody now! places are filling up fast!

Harrison gets a dbl star ** for taking out 2 opponent players in one game, this ESPN article did everything but call him a thug for "deliberately" trying to hurt/take out opponents. He's the leading contender for the Jack "They Call Me Assassin" Tatum Award. Jack is smiling down from the afterlife on Harrison now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699976
                          Last edited by LizardState; 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM.

Comment

How come the offensive players don't take any blame?

They shouldn't lower their helmet either like a battering ram. Its called lowering your shoulder not, the crown of your helmet as a ram.

On offense when you lower your shoulder going full speed by gravity and just your body your head tilts forward. The same is true for defensive player if you lower you shoulder going full speed you head is going to come down

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                              There are a lot more fines we don't hear about. Even if they don't get flagged they still get fined. We may not hear about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                                There are a lot more fines we don't hear about. Even if they don't get flagged they still get fined. We may not hear about it.
                                Last week in overtime, the redskin helmet to helmeted Rodgers on his rushed interception.
                                Packer fans and unbiased observers thought that should have been a penalty, but the zebra right there felt otherwise.

4 days later, the NFL fined the player for his illegal hit.

Go figure. I'd rather the penalty and not the fine.

And I'd rather the ref get fined for missing the crucial overtime missed call even though that's his main job, watch and protect the QB.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information