X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• badgerbacker
    started a topic Helmet to Helmet Hits

Helmet to Helmet Hits

With the news that the NFL is considering suspending players for helmet to helmet hits, it got me thinking about the topic. I'm all about keeping players safe and don't want to see injuries, but I feel like this is a little extreme. The problem I see is that sometimes it is out of the defender's hands whether or not there is a helmet to helmet collision because it is a pretty common reaction for the offensive player to get low and brace himself for a hit; exposing his head.

I played hockey in high school, and I relate the situation to my coach telling us not to give "sucker passes". The idea is basically not to throw a soft pass ahead of a player which leads him into a charging defenseman who can take his head off. I think the NFL's severe helmet to helmet hit problem stems from this same situation. As the rules change to protect offensive players, it just causes quarterbacks to become more and more comfortable throwing these passes which put receivers in danger.

I obviously know you can't penalize the quarterbacks for making throws, but I really think more responsibility should be given to the teams to protect their own players. Otherwise, we're just going to see defenders playing scared, which is not what I think football is about.

Edit: I could see protecting Quarterbacks who are in the pocket in this situation, since they are basically stationary...
    Last edited by badgerbacker; 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM.

• yourfavestoner
    replied

Olly from Oxford, England
    Perhaps the NFL's player-safety evaluators ought to have a look at the Jags-Titans game, a close, physical contest in which the run, not the pass, was dominant, and there were no personal fouls, no helmet-to-helmet hits and no hits on defenseless receivers.

Vic: The run game is the safe game. It’s in the pass game that trouble begins. That’s where we get hits on defenseless receivers, such as the one on Heath Miller that wasn’t called in last night’s game – the replay of that hit was frightening – and it’s in the pass game that we get blows to the head on the quarterback, such as the one on Ben Roethlisberger in last night’s game that resulted in a broken nose but no penalty. If player safety is as important as the league wants us to believe it is, then we need more run and less pass.

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=9596

Leave a comment:

• wogitalia
    replied
    Again, I must know. Will Celek be fined for this hit? Seems only fair.
    It should be if the league has any interest in consistency, was the same as several of the other hits and far worse than any of the hits that Harrison has been done for.

It's funny, I didn't like Harrison at the start of the year but the way the league has martyred him has actually made me like him or at least support him.

I guess I just like my football to be violent, I'd watch Netball if I wanted to watch people throw a ball around in a stop start manner...

Leave a comment:

• brat316
    replied
    Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
    Was this hit last year by Clark on Willis "leading with the helmet"? What does it look like?
    No he lead with the shoulder.

Leave a comment:

• J-Mike88
    replied
    Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    Was the hit fineworthy? Probably not. Yet another example of how much of a dirty player he is? Yes. Yes it is.

Was Mike Tomlin's rant about Harrison's kid's college funds the most ridiculous **** said by a coach this season? No question.

Are the Steelers the biggest batch of crybabies in the NFL? Absolutely.
    Was this hit last year by Clark on Willis "leading with the helmet"? What does it look like?

Leave a comment:

• CC.SD
    replied
    Originally posted by njx9
    that's easy. a 'fully defended' quarterback doesn't exist. they're always defenseless. especially when someone might hit them.
    Sigh that's what I was afraid of.

Leave a comment:

• CC.SD
    replied
    "It was illegal because the initial contact with the defenseless quarterback's chest was made with his helmet," Signora said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "It was not a late hit. It was not a hit to the head. And he pulled off the quarterback when they hit the ground. Although it was not flagrant, as a multiple offender of the rules in this area, Harrison received a significant fine."
    Can someone clarify for me the difference between a defenseless quarterback and a fully defended quarterback? Especially since he hit him in the chest. I didn't see this play for the record but I think this is a pathetic distinction in general.

Leave a comment:

• wonderbredd24
    replied
    Was the hit fineworthy? Probably not. Yet another example of how much of a dirty player he is? Yes. Yes it is.

Was Mike Tomlin's rant about Harrison's kid's college funds the most ridiculous **** said by a coach this season? No question.

Are the Steelers the biggest batch of crybabies in the NFL? Absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• Gay Ork Wang
    replied
    Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
    Can someone explain how the Harrison hit is worthy of a fine?

WTF since when did this become a rule?

Also its looking like Harrison is in the lead for DPOY. Hahah how great would that be.
    i think in harrison's case they wont to make clear that they dont want him to lead with his helmet no matter where he hits. i guess.

Leave a comment:

• yourfavestoner
    replied

Again, I must know. Will Celek be fined for this hit? Seems only fair.

Leave a comment:

• fenikz
    replied
    AZ doesn't play hard enough for helmet to helmet hits

Leave a comment:

• Jvig43
    replied
    Hahahahaha this league is such a joke. I shouldnt be laughing, it's actually kind of sad. Why do we even put pads on the QB anymore, lets just make it official, no more hitting QBs anymore. Or WRs, those guys should wear the red practice jerseys and will be down as soon as people two hand touch them. No one will sympathize for Harrison, but if were someone more likable this would be a much bigger issue imo. Even Harrison haters have to look at some of these calls and just roll their eyes.

Leave a comment:

• brat316
    replied
    Can someone explain how the Harrison hit is worthy of a fine?

"It was illegal because the initial contact with the defenseless quarterback's chest was made with his helmet," Signora said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "It was not a late hit. It was not a hit to the head. And he pulled off the quarterback when they hit the ground. Although it was not flagrant, as a multiple offender of the rules in this area, Harrison received a significant fine."
    WTF since when did this become a rule?

Also its looking like Harrison is in the lead for DPOY. Hahah how great would that be.
    Last edited by brat316; 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• umphrey
    replied
    I was trying to explain American football to a Columbian (a soccer fan) who had never seen the sport before. I couldn't get him to understand it and I can't say I really blame him. I sort of gave up on that and brought up the concussion issue that has been coming up recently. His face went dead blank serious and he was completely shocked and empathetic for the players. Also one of his first comments was "But they get paid lots of money". Very interesting conversation that gave me something to think about lately.

Edgar the Columbian
    Last edited by umphrey; 11-26-2010, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gay Ork Wang
    replied
    that kind of crappy calls existed before the rule though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information