Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vincent Jackson and Logan Mankins...what can be done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
    We would likely just take the second and let you keep Harris. Maybe pick up a depth defensive back(Don't know your roster well) and call it a deal. It is near impossible to trade Mankins at this point though because of the money involved.
    That would seem a good deal for both teams, the Bears O-line is borderline atrocius and Belichick wants the whole draft to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
      Edit: Both players WILL sign (i explain why below). They may or may not play though. That is up to the team. The teams could royally **** them by leaving them inactive. If the new CBA stuff takes a year, the players could have sat out 2 years of time. That will hurt quite badly.

Here is the summary that everyone who has any questions about this situation should read:

1. Both players are Restricted free agents due to the fact that we are in an uncapped year. The uncapped part matters because the current CBA (which will expire at the end of the football year) says it goes from 4 to 6 years of service required. (note the term 'years of service')

2. In order to gain 'years of service', you must play at least 6 games. So Logan Mankins must be on the team by week 11 and VJ some date earlier (due to his suspension) to get that year of service.

3. Getting that year of service means that under no circumstance they be RFAs again under the current CBA (though it could change in the new one, but the NFLPA won't let that go higher). They can however be franchised. (which would send them from irate to a new level of infinite hatred for said team)

4. If they don't play and the new CBA requires no more than 5 years of service for UFA, then they are free baring being tagged.

5. If the new CBA requires 6 years, they need to play this year to be UFA. If it requires more, the NFLPA got raped and the two players must again go through this until they get traded or released.

----

If you have any questions, I am 99% sure I can answer them. I've read so much on this stuff due to being a patriots fan and being curious about Mankins.

---

@BeerBaron

The fact that the Bears didn't offer more is either 1 of two things. Either JA doesn't want to mortgage more of the bears future on another player OR the owner doesn't trust the GM/Coach and still is considering firing one or both of them and don't want them making decisions that will affect the new administration.

The fact that they could offer anything is a good sign though (if you are a JA/Lovie fan).
      Slight technicality on the last two parts. Even if the new CBA does switch back to a 5 year system, those two might not be free at all. It depends on when the new CBA is agreed upon. If it happens right before the 2011 season, it won't take affect until the 2012 season.

Second, let's say that the CBA is agreed upon before the March deadline, there is still another possibility that Mankins and VJ are RFA again if they don't report and play the last six games. There is specific clause that Florio and others have brought up where a RFA that sits out the entire season will return to being a RFA again the following season. Of course, it depends on whether the Union will let this happen, but I think that's more likely to happen since the owners are not going to let two holdouts dictate the terms of their new CBA.

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_28 View Post
        They'll be free agents. I hope Mankins figures out that no one is going to pay him that much. I'm sure though, some dumb team that thinks Mankins is the answer will give him a massive contract.

When he hits the open market he'll become the highest paid OG in the league. Just look at Leonard Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Slight technicality on the last two parts. Even if the new CBA does switch back to a 5 year system, those two might not be free at all. It depends on when the new CBA is agreed upon. If it happens right before the 2011 season, it won't take affect until the 2012 season.

Second, let's say that the CBA is agreed upon before the March deadline, there is still another possibility that Mankins and VJ are RFA again if they don't report and play the last six games. There is specific clause that Florio and others have brought up where a RFA that sits out the entire season will return to being a RFA again the following season. Of course, it depends on whether the Union will let this happen, but I think that's more likely to happen since the owners are not going to let two holdouts dictate the terms of their new CBA.
          Your first point is correct. They could create a new deal that does not impact these players at all or does not impact them for another year.

The second point was something I was trying to illustrate by saying that they must sign before a certain date (Mankins is week 11, VJ is a lot sooner because of his suspension - forget the exact week).

But yea. The only way those guys get free is they get the teams permission to seek a trade with the knowledge they will be franchised. I would bet my bank on at least one of them being franchised (non-exclusive probably) if they don't sign a long term contract. Both are worth too much. A second round pick for each, minimum.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Jackson is reporting Oct. 29th apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
              Jackson is reporting Oct. 29th apparently.
              I heard week 12, no link or anything though, but that would make sense with the 6 weeks to gain UFA status

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_28 View Post
                They'll be free agents. I hope Mankins figures out that no one is going to pay him that much. I'm sure though, some dumb team that thinks Mankins is the answer will give him a massive contract.

Chargers kind of shot themselves in the foot with the VJax thing. The Chargers could have traded him and gotten something out of it, but they couldn't agree on a deal so they didn't get him moved. Now he's going to walk in free agency and they won't get anything of relevance.
                Mankins is one of the premier interior offensive linemen in the league. Just because the absurdly cheap Pats aren't willing to pay him doesn't mean another team won't. That team certainly won't be dumb either. If Nick Mangold is worth 55 million and Jahri Evans is worth 49, then I would imagine Mankins number would fall somewhere in between those two. Dont forget, Eric Steinbach, Steve Hutchinson and Derrick Dockery all signed 49 million dollar deals as well. People are acting like this is the first time a guard will get paid serious money...it isnt. And alot of those guys go on to help solidify offensive lines. Personally, I think someone is going to sign Mankins and he will go on to be a hell of a player for them for the remainder of his career. It isnt stupid at all.
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                  Mankins is one of the premier interior offensive linemen in the league. Just because the absurdly cheap Pats aren't willing to pay him doesn't mean another team won't. That team certainly won't be dumb either. If Nick Mangold is worth 55 million and Jahri Evans is worth 49, then I would imagine Mankins number would fall somewhere in between those two. Dont forget, Eric Steinbach, Steve Hutchinson and Derrick Dockery all signed 49 million dollar deals as well. People are acting like this is the first time a guard will get paid serious money...it isnt. And alot of those guys go on to help solidify offensive lines. Personally, I think someone is going to sign Mankins and he will go on to be a hell of a player for them for the remainder of his career. It isnt stupid at all.
                  My favourite part was where the Vikings fan was posting that...

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                    We offered him about 50 mill five years and he refused it, so Idk what hes looking for. But everything else you said was spot on.

Originally posted by WMD
                    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                    Originally posted by gpngc
                    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information