Best Cornerback of 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by njx9
    i'd also be curious as to how the rest of the oakland secondary is playing (both are they any good and are they giving nnamdi any help).
    Branch and Huff are playing decently in run defense but aren't exactly stellar in pass coverage, Routt has his good days and his bad days, and Johnson has slightly more bad days than good ones.

In terms of help, unless the route is deep towards the inside of the field (because yes, Oakland still runs a single deep safety and yes, this is totally ********), Nnamdi receives no help at all. In the game against the 49ers, Crabtree broke inside and Nnamdi was playing the possibility of an outside route (as was his assignment in the cover 3), but Huff got back far too late. Such a play is not an uncommon occurrence.

I'm curious with the insistence that Nnamdi isn't a shutdown player, because it seems to me that he fulfills all the requirements to be considered as much. He's allowed the least receptions of any starting corner each of the last three years and is well on his way to doing so again. He's never had a great cornerback opposite him, but it's rarely the case that the guy opposite him has such a disastrously bad season as a result (DeAngelo Hall being the exception there). And while the run defense has been bad this year, it hasn't been so awful and Oakland hasn't always been so behind in the ballgame that not passing at Nnamdi is just a convenience for teams. If you need a better example, how about Arizona trying desperately to get something going on offense and still refusing to test Nnamdi's coverage of Larry Fitzgerald?

This may just be my opinion, but the general refusal to throw the football at Asomugha by the rest of the NFL strikes me as the clearest possible vote for his ability.

Comment

• Asomugha and Flowers. The rest.
      Originally posted by njx9
      i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

• I think it's kinda like last year for me. Charles Woodson had the best season of any CB, but Revis was the best corner.

This year, Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB, but Flowers is having the best season.
        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
        Originally posted by GoRavens
        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Honestly, I think Nmandi is overrated by this forum. I think ppl dont' watch the Raiders enough, and just assume Nmandi does his thing and mentions his name.

Ive seen Andre Johnson beat him this year and Ive seen Malcolm Floyd eat his lunch. He got destroyed by SD.

He's great, but he's not this unstoppable force that people make him out to be. Yeah, he doesn't get targeted much, but that's bc Oakland is ******** and only line him up on one side of the field much of the game.

But when he has been lined up with some #1 WRs, I have seen him get beat. The whole "ppl throw away from him" mumbo jumbo works both ways. He's not even covering the best WR on the opposition for most of the game, so of course they'll throw away from him.

That also makes his game look better than it really is. Put him 1 on 1 with Andre Johnson all game, and he'd get burned.

SD wasn't afraid to line up Floyd on him and Floyd burned him.

Nmandi is great, probably top 5 in the league, but he's overrated on this message board.
          A. Johnson didn't play against Asomugha and the last time they played against eachother Aso shut him down. Aso got hurt in the 3rd quarter and Johnson didn't catch a ball then Asomugha leaves the game and Johnson finished the game with like 2 catches with 18 yards. Your not watching the games obviously, but just looking at stats and thinking Floyd had a good game and you assume Aso was on him during all those completions. During the SD game aso only allowed two receptions for 44 yards and no tds. What #1 WR has beat him because when the Raiders let him follow those type of big name WR's they usually have there worst games. Look at his season stats up to this point he still the only cornerback who shuts his side of the field down.

Comment

• It's still Nnamdi.

Comment

Ive seen Andre Johnson beat him this year
              Can't take srs after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                or the Saints CB's.

boosh.
                The Saints are the 6th ranked D while also being the worse D on the planet, and the reason we are losing.

When you hear people legitimately arguing for Porter, Greer, or Robinson, like they are for Revis, Cromartie, or Webster, you come back to me.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Honestly, I think Nmandi is overrated by this forum. I think ppl dont' watch the Raiders enough, and just assume Nmandi does his thing and mentions his name.

Ive seen Andre Johnson beat him this year and Ive seen Malcolm Floyd eat his lunch. He got destroyed by SD.

He's great, but he's not this unstoppable force that people make him out to be. Yeah, he doesn't get targeted much, but that's bc Oakland is ******** and only line him up on one side of the field much of the game.

But when he has been lined up with some #1 WRs, I have seen him get beat. The whole "ppl throw away from him" mumbo jumbo works both ways. He's not even covering the best WR on the opposition for most of the game, so of course they'll throw away from him.

That also makes his game look better than it really is. Put him 1 on 1 with Andre Johnson all game, and he'd get burned.

SD wasn't afraid to line up Floyd on him and Floyd burned him.

Nmandi is great, probably top 5 in the league, but he's overrated on this message board.
                  The chiefs do the samething to Brandon Flowers thats why Andre Johnson lit them up for 130 yards but no puts him down for that.

Comment

• Nnamdi has been moved around and tailed the best receiver a lot of the time this year anyway, as Paranoidmoonduck noted already.
                    fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• aso is still the best in my eyes. i think the whole "teams don't throw to his half of the field" is an overused phrase for most corners, but with him it's absolutely true. i was reading a q&a with titans OC mike heimerdinger not too long ago that focused on kenny britt and jared cook, and he mentions it during the interview. these quotes are very telling to me, coming from someone like dinger, who is very blunt and to the point, and never mixes words.

After Oakland everybody told me [Britt] didn't have a good game because he didn't have a catch, but in that game plan we didn't throw left. Our reads weren't going to No.21 [Nnamdi Asomugha]. We did what everybody else in the league does and not throw at that guy, and that's where Kenny got stuck a few times on the left.
                      We have a package for [Jared] Cook every week. I had one against the Raiders because they never play zone, and they switched to zone. I had Cookie out there, but four times he was matched up against No. 21. I don't want a receiver matched up against that guy, I sure don't want Cookie matched up against him.
                      http://ten.247sports.com/Article/A-o...merdinger-2467

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                        The Saints are the 6th ranked D while also being the worse D on the planet, and the reason we are losing.

When you hear people legitimately arguing for Porter, Greer, or Robinson, like they are for Revis, Cromartie, or Webster, you come back to me.
                        well, considering Revis is easily a top 5 CB an Webster is top 10-15 (playing like top 10 this year) they deserve to get mentioned. Cro still sucks, not sure where his love is coming from.

but people tried to tell me Porter and Greer were upper echelon in the preseason. that's just silly.
                        We ALL bleed scarlet
                        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                          Cro still sucks, not sure where his love is coming from.
                          He's played great ever since Revis went down. One might even say he's been dominant, and I hated the Cro trade when it first happened.

Comment

• Calling Jabari Greer an upper echelon corner in the preseason would not have been silly at all. I honestly have barely seen the Saints the past few weeks, but are you saying that people shouldn't talk about Greer even when the discussion includes "top 10-15"?

Comment

• Greer deserves as much talk as Webster, if not more. Porter not so much.

Comment

• I think if anything Cro is getting underrated. Hes played better then Revis this year outside of the Ravens game thus far.

Originally posted by WMD
                                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                                Originally posted by gpngc
                                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information