Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Surprise teams through 7 weeks of Football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Love what the Chiefs have done this year. Weis may have failed at ND but that offensive line looks so much better this year and things are just working for them.

    Defensively they are beasting. Crennell also may have failed on his own but he is a defensive guru. It's funny that some coaches can be so good as coordinators and then fail completely as HCs.


    Props to BK on the sig!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
      Love what the Chiefs have done this year. Weis may have failed at ND but that offensive line looks so much better this year and things are just working for them.

      Defensively they are beasting. Crennell also may have failed on his own but he is a defensive guru. It's funny that some coaches can be so good as coordinators and then fail completely as HCs.
      I think a lot of the time as a coordinator your job is to come up with gameplans and to draw up plays that suit your peronnel. As a HC you need to manage the whole team, evaluate personnel and generally make more decisions outside of just drawing up plays.


      BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
        Barrett Ruud is the MOST OVERRATED LB in the league, Makes 99% of his tackles by tackling the running back 5+ yds from los.
        You misspelled James Laurinaitis.

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm absolutely amazed the 2nd year QB has thrown only 2 INTs this season, the team has a 5-1 record, and 90% of the fanbase still hates the OC.

          So that's my surprise.

          Also, despite the coaching I'm amazed the Cowboys have the record they have.

          Comment


          • #20
            The Raiders have shown signs of rising from the grave around Halloween, especially thier offense. McFadden had his biggest day as a pro last Sunday running all over the Broncos.

            Broncos being horrible kind of a surprise but the strong hint was there when Dumervil went on IR in preseason, he was their sparkplug on their DL.

            Dallas & Minnesota have been surprising in the negative way, I think as bad as the Cowboys upper mgmt. & team performance has been they are trumped in awfulness by the Vikes b/c of the incredibly overrated Favre on & off the field. No one doubts now that his return to FB at age 41 was a stupid mistake driven by greed & ego.

            Comment


            • #21
              Point out a better combination than F5 of physical skills + mental skills + youth.

              IT CANT BE DONE



              "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                The Chiefs are also benefitting from good drafts via Pioli and those players finally being comfortable with the Chiefs systems and Haley's coaching style. Don't overlook Haley's development as a HC and the development of talent. This team has a lot of high draft picks on its roster. There is a lot of talent there. If all that talent came together along with the significant minds of Crennel and Weis, it's a recipe for success. This team believes.
                The coaching staff is also getting the best out of Herm Edward's drafted players, I wasn't a fan of his as a HC but the guy has an eye for talent.

                Comment


                • #23
                  That 08 draft has really laid the foundation for this team being where they are. A lot of people thought that draft was filled with busts, but the players are playing extremely good football right now.

                  Originally posted by fenikz
                  His soft D really turns me off
                  ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Chiefs' 2008 Draft:

                    Glen Dorsey, DT (1st Round). Starting RDE.
                    Brandon Albert, OT (1st Round). Starting at LT
                    Brandon Flowers, CB (2nd Round). Starting CB
                    Jamaal Charles, RB (3rd Round). Splitting carries with Thomas Jones. Dynamic weapon.
                    DaJuan Morgan, S (4th Round). No longer on the roster.
                    William Franklin, WR (4th Round). No longer on the roster.
                    Brandon Carr, CB (5th Round). Starting CB.
                    Barry Richardson, OT (6th Round). Backup OLineman.
                    Kevin Robinson, WR (6th Round). No longer on the roster.
                    Brian Johnston, DE (7th Round). No longer on the roster.
                    Mike Merritt, TE (7th Round). No longer on the roster.

                    Getting 4 starters and 1 substantial contributor from 1 draft is impressive. Teams that excel have a tendency to do this by getting big time production from their draft picks. The Eagles 2002 draft included Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis, Sheldon Brown, and Brian Westbrook. That core group helped that team win a ton of games.



                    I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by vidae View Post
                      That 08 draft has really laid the foundation for this team being where they are. A lot of people thought that draft was filled with busts, but the players are playing extremely good football right now.
                      I thought this was a great description of the situation in KC.

                      Steve from Hudson, FL
                      Building a football team is like building a house. No one gets excited when you buy concrete and lumber; they just want to pick out paint and light fixtures. Let's let Gene and Jack do some building before we decide to get a new contractor.

                      Vic: Iíll tell you how else building a football team is like building a house: You do a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and there comes a point after the framing is done that it doesnít look like youíre making much progress, but it all comes together quickly at the end. The Chiefs are an example of that right now.
                      http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=9419

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Very much agree. The Chiefs were converting to a 3-4 and finally have the personnel to run that D and the personnel that Haley wants to run his offense. Add in a weaker schedule, another year for the team to gel, and a solid 2009 and 2010 draft that included a lot of college team captains, and you have a team that is on the rise and is believing it is great.



                        I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                          Getting 4 starters and 1 substantial contributor from 1 draft is impressive. Teams that excel have a tendency to do this by getting big time production from their draft picks. The Eagles 2002 draft included Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis, Sheldon Brown, and Brian Westbrook. That core group helped that team win a ton of games.
                          And Barry Richardson has started every game at RT because O'Calloghan has been hurt. Richardson is our first OT to come in if a starter goes down. He's pretty flexible too.

                          And I loved that quote YFS.

                          The biggest surprises, to me, are Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali. Chiefs fans were saying all last year that Dorsey was playing really well at 3-4 DE and no one was believing it, but this year he has really turned some heads and is playing at an entirely different level.

                          As for Tamba, I was extremely skeptical that he could make the switch to OLB in the 3-4 and wow was I wrong. He's one of our best defenders and one of the reasons that our defense has really found its footing.
                          Last edited by vidae; 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM.

                          Originally posted by fenikz
                          His soft D really turns me off
                          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by vidae View Post
                            And Barry Richardson has started every game at RT because O'Calloghan has been hurt. Richardson is our first OT to come in if a starter goes down. He's pretty flexible too.

                            And I loved that quote YFS.

                            The biggest surprises, to me, are Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali. Chiefs fans were saying all last year that Dorsey was playing really well at 3-4 DE and no one was believing it, but this year he has really turned some heads and is playing at an entirely different level.

                            As for Tamba, I was extremely skeptical that he could make the switch to OLB in the 3-4 and wow was I wrong. He's one of our best defenders and one of the reasons that our defense has really found its footing.
                            Yeah, Glenn Dorsey has to be the most pleasant surprise. Dude is an absolute beast.

                            I've always been in the boat that believes you can't take a one-gap penetrater and turn him into a 3-4 DE. What I overlooked was how dominant Dorsey was in that role for LSU's read and react defense.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by vidae View Post
                              As for Tamba, I was extremely skeptical that he could make the switch to OLB in the 3-4 and wow was I wrong.
                              This.

                              He has played even better this year, he is never going to be a cover guy but last year he was just a pass rusher but he has played the run very well this year.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Hali has always been a guy with a strong motor and very good fundamentals. If you create situations for him to find gaps based on his skill set (which Crennel did amazingly well for the Pats for many years), you're going to see results.

                                I felt Dorsey was miscast in the 3-4 DE role, but I believe Crennel and his staff have tweaked his responsibilities to account for his abilities. They are putting him in spots where he plays to his strength s.



                                I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information