Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New England Patriots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I think it's impossible to say the offense has taken a step back without Moss considering, since losing Moss, they've played 2 Top 5 defenses including the #1 pass defense. They need to make some adjustements, but they have 4 wins over good teams and will only get better as the offense puts things together and the defense continues to develop.

    Comment


    • #32
      The Jets might be better, but I'm looking forward to playing them in Foxborough for what could be the division crown (assuming neither team loses until then). Winner has the lead (Jets win = 1.5 game lead unless they lose by 14+, Pats win = 0.5 game lead unless they win by 14+).

      The Jets are a great team, but I think far too many people have written off NE winning the division already when they are literally behind by the tie-breaker.

      Originally posted by Shiver View Post
      Didn't last year. Just saying.
      I don't know how getting out to that huge lead affected the Ravens play, but the Patriots after giving up all of those points to stupid plays (80+ yard run, a forced pass to Moss resulting in an Ed Reed INT, etc) did play with the Ravens quite well. Considering they led 24-0 at the end of the first quarter, finishing the game 33-14 is actually quite good. I don't care who you play in the playoffs, spotting any team 24 is a good way to get your ticket out.
      Last edited by descendency; 10-26-2010, 04:49 PM.
      **** her in da *****!

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        I just have a feeling that the Patriots are going to get stomped in the playoffs. They are playing great right now, but they don't seem to have the kind of roster to win when it counts. They are entirely one dimensional on offense (short passes) and they have a lot of young players who will be relied upon to get the job done against the Steelers/Ravens/Jets in the playoffs.
        I don't think we've seen the best of their offense yet. The deep passing game is something that takes time, and they're in the process of overhauling it. Also, you have to imagine Welker will improve as the season rolls along.

        Something that should be considered is that they're very young. Two things could happen: they could hit a wall in the middle of the season, or they can continue to get better, since you can practice more with younger legs. I'm betting that they'll improve as the season goes on.

        I think the #1 thing they want to avoid is playing Baltimore in the playoffs again. I think they can beat any of the other AFC teams in a one game matchup, but I don't think they can beat Baltimore twice in the same season.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Shiver View Post
          Didn't last year. Just saying.
          I'm not saying we're making a deep playoff run quite yet, but I feel so much better about us doing it this year in comparison to last year. This team has a new attitude. We make plays when we have to on defense. Step up and do the ballsy things when we have to.

          R.I.P. Junior Seau

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            Didn't last year. Just saying.
            Exactly...last year.


            Originally posted by WMD
            Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
            Originally posted by gpngc
            I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

            Comment


            • #36
              They are starting to remind me of the Superbowl teams. Do not let the nostalgia fool you, especially the first 2. When they had what combined 5 total pro bowlers, they were just a solid team, that left you wondering how they would win every week.

              They were usually close games, they didnt really dominate either side of the ball. They won by just being a good all around team, solid at everything, elite at nothing.

              Brady has reverted to the old Brady, dink and dunk, a suspect running game(pre Corey Dillon) where they won the SB with a running game putting up 3.4 yards a carry.

              The defense is looking more and more like the bend but not break defense, 01 and 03 Pats had.

              Special teams obviously has been huge this year, call me crazy but I think they have as good a chance of winning the Superbowl of anyone

              EDIT: What is even more disturbing about this, is they have some many earlydraft picks, they will be returning to dominance soon. If not this year, than by next year they should be favorites again. Maybe give Brady that storybook ending to his career with another potential dynasty. That defense is going to be amazing very soon as it is.
              .
              Last edited by elway=goat; 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM.
              bill belichick quote:
              stats are for losers. the final score is for winners.

              "This one's for John" Pat Bowlen

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                I just have a feeling that the Patriots are going to get stomped in the playoffs. They are playing great right now, but they don't seem to have the kind of roster to win when it counts. They are entirely one dimensional on offense (short passes) and they have a lot of young players who will be relied upon to get the job done against the Steelers/Ravens/Jets in the playoffs.
                As I said in my post above, their current play style is very similar to what they ran with when they won their SB's. Especially their offense..

                http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...,_Vol._II.html

                Most successful quarterbacks, meanwhile, depend upon a punishing ground game to open up the passing lanes for them. But

                * the 2001 Patriots won the Super Bowl with the league’s 13th ranked ground attack.

                * the 2003 Patriots had the 27th ranked ground attack, the lowest ranked rushing attack of any Super Bowl champion.

                * the 2003 Patriots averaged just 3.4 yards per rushing attempt. Among all Super Bowl champions, only the 1970 Colts (3.3 yards per carry) had a more ineffective ground game.

                I would not be worried about the offense, they have won with less talent and production.
                bill belichick quote:
                stats are for losers. the final score is for winners.

                "This one's for John" Pat Bowlen

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by elway=goat View Post
                  They are starting to remind me of the Superbowl teams. Do not let the nostalgia fool you, especially the first 2. When they had what combined 5 total pro bowlers, they were just a solid team, that left you wondering how they would win every week.

                  They were usually close games, they didnt really dominate either side of the ball. They won by just being a good all around team, solid at everything, elite at nothing.

                  Brady has reverted to the old Brady, dink and dunk, a suspect running game(pre Corey Dillon) where they won the SB with a running game putting up 3.4 yards a carry.

                  The defense is looking more and more like the bend but not break defense, 01 and 03 Pats had.

                  Special teams obviously has been huge this year, call me crazy but I think they have as good a chance of winning the Superbowl of anyone

                  EDIT: What is even more disturbing about this, is they have some many earlydraft picks, they will be returning to dominance soon. If not this year, than by next year they should be favorites again. Maybe give Brady that storybook ending to his career with another potential dynasty. That defense is going to be amazing very soon as it is.
                  .
                  What? The 2003 defense was probably the best in the league.
                  Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

                  Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Are the quietest 5-1 in the league. I kind of feel like we're automatically dismissing this team as a legitimate SB contender.

                    My question is why?
                    1. Shiny new toy syndrome. There's new teams contending with fanbases that strongly dislike the Patriots. These fanbases like to say that they haven't won a SB in 6 years so they're done...It's fine logic, no?

                    2. Their stats aren't pretty.
                    Last edited by SenorGato; 10-26-2010, 09:19 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
                      What? The 2003 defense was probably the best in the league.
                      Dallas/tampa, New England did give up 1.3 less points per game but almost all other stats point to Dallas. I retract my statement for 03, im thinking of 01, and just lumped them up.

                      In terms of yards per game, the Colts who you fans always complain how terrible your defense was, only gave up 8 more yards a game than the Pats that year.

                      But 6 more points. Which goes back to my point, they were a bend but not break defense, and as of late this defense is showing similar signs of those teams in that way.
                      bill belichick quote:
                      stats are for losers. the final score is for winners.

                      "This one's for John" Pat Bowlen

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Pssssssst.....the Patriots have the best record in the NFL.


                        It's a secret though, don't tell anyone. The Steelers, Ravens, and Jets are all better. Right? ......right?


                        Each week this team gets better and better and keeps winning. Their defense gets better with each week, those young guns are maturing, and they're developing chemistry on offense post Randy Moss.

                        This is a team that will improve with each coming week. And btw, they have the best record in the NFL. For those keeping count.
                        Last edited by bigbluedefense; 11-01-2010, 07:59 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!


                          BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I love Danny Woodhead btw. And so does my fantasy team. Playing him at WR even though he's a RB so I can play 4 RBs in my flex is pretty awesome too.

                            Now i just need McCluster to step up, so I can play 5 RBs since he's listed at WR too.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Meh, the Patriots are always good.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                yeah, I've been thinking about the good-ness of the Patriots myself and am kinda stumped. I don't really see a great team in the NFL this year, and it's weird to think that the Pats are contender for best team in the league. Maybe it's just because they have a lot of different players from their glory days that I'm not used to. Maybe Woodhead and BJGE are their legit future. Who knows. But greatness is basically an eye-test issue, and I'm not sure if they pass.

                                by BoneKrusher
                                <DG> how metal unseen
                                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information