No announcement yet.

Phillip Rivers "Arm"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His arm was good enough to stick a carrot in our asses today.
    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
    RIP themaninblack

Comment

I think his arm is stronger than people give him credit for. For what he's had to work with this year and the numbers he's put up i'm not sure he wouldnt be my offensive player of the year in the AFC.

Comment

I've always said he has Jake Plummer's arm and Drew Bledsoe's legs. Dude gets it done, though. He's a gamer.

Comment

He has a great arm, just an ugly release. And it's not really all that ugly, it's just far from prototypical.

He's a great quarterback though, so who cares? I'm not going to knock a guy on aesthetics when he's the best QB under 30 in the NFL right now.

edit- to SchizoBatman, Turner gets tons of credit as a QB coach and OC, but he also gets a totally deserved lack of credit for his highly questionable head coaching career. A lot of people feel that he should stay as a play caller and coordinator, where he'd be one of the best in the NFL, and not try to run an organization.

Comment

Phillip Rivers is awesome. Makes a nobody look great every year and has carried that offense the past 3 years.

Comment

That release is why Rivers was looked at as a late-first round prospect at best prior to the Senior Bowl. He's proved that it's not that big of a deal. He's still a douche.

Comment

IMO Philip Rivers is a rich man's Chad Pennington.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                  I don't see the comparison at all. A rich man's Pennington would be someone who runs a really efficient offense, doesn't take much risk, and (most importantly) stays healthy.

Rivers runs that offense well, but he takes tons of risk and gains more yardage per attempt than any QB in the NFL. In fact, he's had the highest average YPA the last 2 seasons and is leading this season. Rivers doesn't complete as many passes as Pennington, but he picks up chunks of yardage like few quarterbacks in recent NFL history.

Comment

He puts it in the hole when need be. Pun intended.

Comment

Rivers = Warner

Comment

His arm is good enough and he's deadly accurate.

Give the Chargers a ton of credit for building the perfect system and getting the perfect mix of players to tailor around Rivers' strengths and weaknesses.

If they fire Norv, they should keep an offensive system similar to the one they run right now, bc its built for Rivers to thrive in. He can't play a WCO or a run and shoot.

Playing in the AFC West surely helps to mask arm strength inadequacies as well, but it doesn't matter when you have a great system and great pieces that fit that system.

As much as we kill AJ Smith, you gotta give the guy a ton of credit for knowing what Rivers is and doing a tremendous job of building around him.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                          I was gonna just mosey by this thread but this is a really out of place comparison. Chad was the king of dink and dunk, which (not so secretly) is actually not Rivers' strength.

With the exception of super-saiyan Tom Brady I'm not sure anybody has had this kind of success rate with the deep ball over an extended period of time. It is freaking uncanny. The intermediate ins, hooks and slants are fierce too. He's got velocity and his placement is basically perfect most of the time. His protection is usually pretty great too. Can't ask for much more in a QB than what Rivers delivers.

Nobody through 8 games has ever had as much yardage as Philip this season. Record in sight? it could hapen.

Comment

In the 2006 season Ron Jaworski started calling him Dan Marino, and that comparison has stuck with me ever since. He's got the quickest, most compact release since Marino.
                            aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Bernie Kosar-esque. Sidearm throw, coached by Marty Schottenheimer and everything.

Comment

Hey it works. I think he is a pretty good QB.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information