X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shylo3716
    started a topic Phillip Rivers "Arm"

Phillip Rivers "Arm"

Is it just me or does anyone else hates Rivers arm?

Aside from his weird chicken wing side arm, he clearly does not have any zip on any of his passes and that kills me. I give him all the credit for having the accuracy but he just does not wow me with his strength. I wonder what everyone else thinks about this.
    Last edited by shylo3716; 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM.

• LonghornsLegend
    replied
    I haven't read through this thread page by page, but has anyone brought up the fact that Phillip Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's passing record this season? If he throws for 5000 yards, with the WR's that he's had to play with this season, that would be unbelievable. I don't know where he ranks at for you guys among QB's but he's firmly in the top 5 and honestly flirting in the top 3 elite range.

Leave a comment:

• Auron
    replied
    Yes having a great QB is by no means a lock your team is guaranteed a win, especially if the team around him is playing poorly in some phases. Sure having a great QB gives you a much better chance to win week in and week out...

However all it takes is a poor game from the O-line, Receivers not being on the same page, poor Defensive performance, fluky turnovers, anomaly special teams breakdowns.... and your team is in trouble even if your QB is Manning, Brady, Brees.. Rivers... there's not much Rivers can do if his special teams are breaking down and allowing 2 blocked punts for either Touchdowns, or great field position for opponents, likewise Brady can't do much for his team when he's on the sidelines because his Defense is getting torn up by Peyton Hillis. Also even the great QBs have poor games from time to time, see Brees vs. the Browns... and even Peyton Manning threw 2 awfully bad interceptions yesterday at Philly.

Leave a comment:

• Paranoidmoonduck
    replied
    Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
    I was just responding to the guy saying how well Colt played, but then I responded to your statement that the better team doesn't necessarily make one a better QB.
    You got my point reversed. A better team doesn't make a better QB (no argument there, just the point I was trying to comment on), but a great QB doesn't necessarily mean your team is guaranteed a win against a team with a lackluster one. Which is what BBD was insinuating.

Leave a comment:

• Saints-Tigers
    replied
    I was just responding to the guy saying how well Colt played, but then I responded to your statement that the better team doesn't necessarily make one a better QB.

The first was a response to this mess.

But no, scouts said his arm wasn't strong enough. Comparisons to Brees were unwarranted and McCoy could never amount to anything more than a journeyman backup.

On that Browns club, with Eric Mangini as coach, he just won at the NFL Champion Saints, and crushed Belichick/Brady.

I love it.
    O_O

Leave a comment:

• Paranoidmoonduck
    replied
    The ol Drew Brees argument? NFL MVP voters don't buy it, they like the winning team. I believe Matt Ryan and Chad Pennington had as many or more votes than when Brees threw for 5000 yards.
    I think we're responding to different posts. I was responding to the post J-Mike made about how the fact that Phillip Rivers is far and away the best AFC West QB doesn't implicitly mean anything for the AFC West race, since that was the post that introduced McCoy to the conversation.

It seemed like you were making a value judgement on McCoy while I was comparing QB value to team value. Unless we are talking about the same thing, in which case I'm really confused as to what it is you're trying to say.

Leave a comment:

• Saints-Tigers
    replied
    The ol Drew Brees argument? NFL MVP voters don't buy it, they like the winning team. I believe Matt Ryan and Chad Pennington had as many or more votes than when Brees threw for 5000 yards.

Leave a comment:

• Paranoidmoonduck
    replied
    McCoy had 70 yards and looked like crap against the Saints. The Punter had 2 less yards than him.
    That's the point though. You can't just point at a quarterback and say "well, his team is obviously better because he's better".

Leave a comment:

• Saints-Tigers
    replied
    McCoy had 70 yards and looked like crap against the Saints. The Punter had 2 less yards than him.

Leave a comment:

• P-L
    replied
    Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
    But no, scouts said his arm wasn't strong enough. Comparisons to Brees were unwarranted and McCoy could never amount to anything more than a journeyman backup.

On that Browns club, with Eric Mangini as coach, he just won at the NFL Champion Saints, and crushed Belichick/Brady.

I love it.
    Let's not overreact. Colt McCoy has played well, but he isn't lighting it up either. Being able to hand the ball off and not throw interceptions doesn't make you a great quarterback. He hasn't really been tested much yet.

Leave a comment:

• J-Mike88
    replied
    Originally posted by Sniper View Post
    Well, Colt McCoy just wins games, man.

I love it.

Leave a comment:

• Sniper
    replied
    Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
    If only it were that simple.
    My Packers lost to Henne, McNabb, and Cutler.
    And Colt McCoy just beat Drew Brees, and Tom Brady in back-to-back weeks.
    Well, Colt McCoy just wins games, man.

Leave a comment:

• J-Mike88
    replied
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    Seriously guys.

1 team is led by Matt Cassell.
    The other team is led by Jason Campbell.
    And the Chargers are led by Phillip Rivers.
    Who do you have your money on? I know who I'm betting on.
    If only it were that simple.
    My Packers lost to Henne, McNabb, and Cutler.
    And Colt McCoy just beat Drew Brees, and Tom Brady in back-to-back weeks.

Leave a comment:

• CC.SD
    replied
    Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
    Yesterday was actually Philip's 2nd 4 TD game, the first was that week 16 game in Tampa back in 08. That game and the playoff game @ Indy were the two best games I've ever seen him play.
    oooh that's right, the bloody jeff garcia game. Amazing comeback.

Leave a comment:

• San Diego Chicken
    replied
    Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
    That was basically a perfect game from Rivers. The interception, he was getting nailed as he threw it. If I'm not mistaken, (possible, but not likely) that was his first 4-TD game, which is pretty crazy if you look at his #s the last few seasons.

Anyway this guy is terrific; no Gates, no Jackson, no Floyd, no Naanee, not even Buster freaking Davis. Making the magic happen with Ajirotuto and Patrick Crayton. Even McMichael looked awesome.

As far as the division is concerned, it'll play itself out. Raiders and Chiefs have 5 wins, we have 4, and we play them both again, so seems like destiny is back in our hands. I don't have too much faith in the D or special teams, so really anything the Chargers do is on Rivers. How far can a team go on the back of one guy? We'll find out.
    Yesterday was actually Philip's 2nd 4 TD game, the first was that week 16 game in Tampa back in 08. That game and the playoff game @ Indy were the two best games I've ever seen him play.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information