MVP WATCH: Josh Freeman making case...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bucfan12
    started a topic MVP WATCH: Josh Freeman making case...

MVP WATCH: Josh Freeman making case...

Thats right I said it! Josh Freeman should be an MVP candidate! You can call it homerism because I am a Bucs fan, but you can't deny that this 22 year old kid has put his team on his back every single week. The defense is average, and we had no running game up until Lagarette Blount started producing. Face it, without Freeman, I don't even know if the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win a single game.

Last time I checked, MVP meant the most valuable player in the league and for his team. I am NOT saying he should/will win it, but geez, at least start considering him and put him in the conversation.

• Watchman
    replied
    As a Bucs fan I'm pleasantly surprised with Freeman's play this year, and very optimistic about his future. But - let's not get ahead of our selves. He's certainly the Bucs' MVP, but I don't think he's the league MVP at this point.

For everyone who hasn't gotten a chance to see Freeman this year he has played extremely well, even in the Bucs losses he has been pretty solid.

Leave a comment:

• AHungryWalrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
    It may be a media spin, but that is who votes for the award...
    Never said it wasn't. As I said, I have no illusions about Gates ever being the MVP. MVP is a giant QB circle jerk, and it will be Manning or Brady, regardless.

Leave a comment:

• RaiderNation
    replied
    Darren McFadden???? If we keep it theres a chance.

He is 1st in the league with 111.3 rushing yards per game, 6th in rushing yards(missed 2 games), tied for 11th with 4 tds, 1st in league with total yards, has 5.5 ypc

Leave a comment:

• Forenci
    replied
    I think we all know the true MVP..

Sam Bradford!

Leave a comment:

• Shane P. Hallam
    replied
    Originally posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
    This is just a media spin. A players value has nothing to do with his teams record. I think it's ludicrous that this is the way that MVP voting has become.

In fact, it almost makes no sense that you have to be on a great team in order to win. I mean, it's a team sport. No one player can carry a team without help. That points to the fact that if you are on a team with more wins, you probably have more help, which actually makes you LESS valuable.

Performing extremely well on a horrible team should not negate your value, it should amplify it. A great team down a man will still be good, a horrendous team down a man will be pathetically awful. In straight VALUE, Gates is the only receiver on that team worth a damn right now, and has put up huge numbers.

Not that I think a TE will ever actually be MVP. But the logic you have to be on a winning team to become MVP is ridiculously flawed.
    It may be a media spin, but that is who votes for the award...

Leave a comment:

• AHungryWalrus
    replied
    Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
    I dont see how anyone who plays on a team with a losing record can be considered for MVP, especially when his QB is on course to break the all time yardage record. Definitely up there for offensive player of the year though
    This is just a media spin. A players value has nothing to do with his teams record. I think it's ludicrous that this is the way that MVP voting has become.

In fact, it almost makes no sense that you have to be on a great team in order to win. I mean, it's a team sport. No one player can carry a team without help. That points to the fact that if you are on a team with more wins, you probably have more help, which actually makes you LESS valuable.

Performing extremely well on a horrible team should not negate your value, it should amplify it. A great team down a man will still be good, a horrendous team down a man will be pathetically awful. In straight VALUE, Gates is the only receiver on that team worth a damn right now, and has put up huge numbers.

Not that I think a TE will ever actually be MVP. But the logic you have to be on a winning team to become MVP is ridiculously flawed.

Leave a comment:

• lowlife
    replied
    Now I see why there is such contempt for Buccaneer fans on this board.

Yeah, he's having a good year, but unless this team wins the division and he puts up monster numbers (neither are going to happen) there isn't a shot in lord Satan almighty's backyard he wins it.

Leave a comment:

• CC.SD
    replied
    Making a case for the team forum.

Leave a comment:

• Hines
    replied
    Maurkice Pouncey.

/thread

Leave a comment:

• FlyingElvis
    replied
    Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    Where would you place him in MVP voting, or how many people in front of him would you have?
    Why you gotta call me out like that, bruh?

lol

IDK, I honestly didn't stop and think about who I would place in the top 10 right now. I just think it's crazy to react like it's absurd to consider Freeman.

FWIW - the award never goes to a losing team so we're left with 17 teams with winning records, including the Buccs, and eliminating qualified candidates like Rivers & Gates & AP.

Out of the following teams - those with winning records - I honestly don't see 10 quality options that should be considered more deserving than Freeman.

Patriots - none. Seriously, not a single guy on the roster as MVP.
    Jets - Tomlinson? Sanchez isn't more deserving than Freeman.
    Dolphins - none.
    Ravens - Flacco? Not glaringly better numbers compared to Freeman, and a much better D, WRs, and RBs.
    Steelers - none. Troy is always a solid option, though.
    Texans - Foster. Playing like an MVP, no question.
    Titans - CJ2K? Not really out of this world, but still a stud and always a solid option.
    Colts - Manning. The guy's name probably comes on the ballot and to vote otherwise you have to scribble his name out first. lol
    Chiefs - Hali? Some other defender? Nobody on offense, and when was the last time a D player was selected? Maybe if they utilized one RB that guy would deserve it, but they don't.
    Giants - Manning? Bradshaw? Both could be good choices.
    Eagles - McCoy. Highly underrated, imo. This kid is a beast.
    Packers - none. Rodgers is awesome, but not really blowing up.
    Bears - Peppers? Again, no offensive player and it's foolish to think this is the year a D player gets the "Best QB" award.
    Falcons - Roddy White. He would be my pick right now, honestly. Gonzo fell off the planet (siggy!! lol) and White is still beasting.
    Buccanneers - Freeman. Now that you've forced me to actually make a list, he's looking even better to me as a top 10 candidate.
    Saints - Brees? Not with his recent string of INTs.
    Seahawks - lmao. Yeah, right.

So . . . all tolled, I have Tomlinson, Flacco, CJ2K, Foster, Peyton, Eli, Bradshaw, McCoy, Roddy, Freeman as serious contenders. While I admit I didn't dig too deep into the rosters/stats & this is more for the sake of argument, that is 10 guys at the top of the list. Especially factoring in my initial argument that Peyton supporters always fall back on the "Colts would sucks without him" logic, Freeman is a good choice. Lots of these candidates have way more around them than Freeman.

Roddy / Peyton / Foster would be the smart money.
    Last edited by FlyingElvis; 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LonghornsLegend
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
    Yeah, Freeman's really been making me look like a jackass, although I did start easing up on him towards draft time because even I thought Sniper(I think it was him)'s hate for him was excessive.
    I saw him a bit seeing more Big XII games then anything, and while he certainly didn't look like a sure thing or a polished product, the potential was certainly there to be a 1st rounder, and he definately had tools that could develop him into a legit QB. Good thing for him is he is still growing as a QB, but I saw a ton of flashes as a rookie out of him and the 4th QT comebacks this season are the sort of things that give him confidence and can turn him into a stud.

I just thought it was a bit unfair that people were going nuts saying he shouldn't be drafted, and acting like it was written in stone he would be a massive failure.

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
    I call shenanigans on anyone who thinks it's some joke that Freeman should be considered. Shame on anyone who can't see it - this kid is as legit a candidate as any other top 10-15 MVP candidate.

Here's the easiest way to prove my point:

Every year when Manning wins the award (always a deserving candidate) the talk turns to how bad the Colts would be without him. And people swallow that **** hook, line and sinker.

The Buccs average about 100 yard per game rushing. Freeman accounts for 1/4 of that. Obviously he has all their passing yards per game. Their D is 25th in the league in total yards, 13th against the pass and an abysmal 30th against the rush. They just gave up 35 points to the Cardinals. On top of all of that their best WR & RB are rookies.

It sure sounds like a situation that would definitely yield the same "This team would suck without him" talk that wins Peyton the award every year.

Where would you place him in MVP voting, or how many people in front of him would you have?

Leave a comment:

• PoopSandwich
    replied
    Bucs fans, we get it, your team is playing good this year... RELAX.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingElvis
    replied
    I call shenanigans on anyone who thinks it's some joke that Freeman should be considered. Shame on anyone who can't see it - this kid is as legit a candidate as any other top 10-15 MVP candidate.

Here's the easiest way to prove my point:

Every year when Manning wins the award (always a deserving candidate) the talk turns to how bad the Colts would be without him. And people swallow that **** hook, line and sinker.

The Buccs average about 100 yard per game rushing. Freeman accounts for 1/4 of that. Obviously he has all their passing yards per game. Their D is 25th in the league in total yards, 13th against the pass and an abysmal 30th against the rush. They just gave up 35 points to the Cardinals. On top of all of that their best WR & RB are rookies.

It sure sounds like a situation that would definitely yield the same "This team would suck without him" talk that wins Peyton the award every year.

Leave a comment:

• Rosebud
    replied
    Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    Freeman for MVP, Clay Mathews to break the sack record, what's next? Why is it whenever someone starts to play good somebody always has to take it to the extreme when giving praise? Freeman has impressed me for a long time but no, his name belongs nowhere near MVP, candidate or winner.

It'll still always be amusing to me when he continues to do better how bad he was trashed as a draft prospect by 95% of people here, not that he would fail, but absolutely trashed like no one I can ever remember since I've been a member here.

On topic of the game, he did make that really bonehead play though where he took the sack late in the game and took them out of fg range, no idea why he didn't throw that away.
    Yeah, Freeman's really been making me look like a jackass, although I did start easing up on him towards draft time because even I thought Sniper(I think it was him)'s hate for him was excessive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information