Brian Dawkins place in among safety's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
    I think the top 4 players I listed deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and I think they're all among the best safeties to ever play. That includes Dawkins. I put Dawkins in with Reed and Troy since Dawkins is still playing, and he was playing at a high level while Reed and Troy were playing at a high level. I used the word generation loosely (see quotation marks). They all played during the same time period. That, simply put, is a generation.

Reed didn't have to be up in the box. That wasn't his job. He could do it, but he was on a defense talented enough to utilize his ball hawking skills and take away the deep ball. Reed wasn't just a ballhawk, he was the best ballhawk to ever play and no one else is even close. Sean Taylor would have probably developed into that kind of rare ballhawk. Dawkins wasn't the best run support safety. He was a complete player, but not necessarily a better player than Reed. With that said, I think Dawkins is one of the best 5 or 10 safeties of all time and a guy who should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is one of my favorite players, but so is Troy Polamalu, Rodney Harrison and Ed Reed.

My list would be:

1. Ronnie Lott
    2. Ed Reed
    3. Troy Polamalu
    4. Rodney Harrison
    5. Brian Dawkins
    6. Steve Atwater
    7. Jack Tatum
    8. Larry Wilson
    9. John Lynch
    10. Darren Sharper

I think the top 8 are all Hall of Fame caliber players.
    Am I the only one that thinks Troy Polamalu is slightly overrated?
    I don't really have anything to say for my sig.

Comment

Originally posted by molenguinurtle View Post
      Am I the only one that thinks Troy Polamalu is slightly overrated?
      If you're dominating games as a safety, you cannot be overrated IMO

that list above is slightly out of whack though, where is Ken Houston

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
        His numbers stack up well, and he's the only safety with 20+ INT's and 20+ sacks in his career.
        Adrian Wilson also has 20/20
        Last edited by fenikz; 11-03-2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Why should I care about sacks for a safety? They are nice but I can't see them as being of any importance when debating who is the best.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
            If you're dominating games as a safety, you cannot be overrated IMO

that list above is slightly out of whack though, where is Ken Houston
            I agree, it's just that I think Troy should be at least behind other game dominating safeties like Harrison and Dawkins.

Also, where is Emlen Tunnel?

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
              I think there may be 3 or 4 safeties with 20 and 20, but Harrison is the only with 30 and 30, and Dawk is the only with 20 sacks and 35 INTs. At least I think, its been a while since I looked at any of it. Either way, its a great accomplishment, for both of them.

4 Safeties 6 LBs and 1 CB in the 20/20 club.

Adrian Wilson joined in 2009 and Lawyer Milloy joined earlier this year.

Wilson was actually the fastest safety to join the club. He joined in his 9th season as a pro, Harrison in his 10th, Dawkins in his 13th and Milloy in his 15th.

Also, Dawkins is the only safety in the 20/20/20 club (the last 20 being fumbles forced.)
              Last edited by XxXdragonXxX; 11-03-2010, 01:27 AM.
              "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

I think that the general legacy of Dawkins would be significantly different had the Eagles managed to win a Superbowl. There was a time where Dawkins was the unquestioned leader of one of the best defenses in the NFL, a unit who's versatility was matched perfectly by Dawkins' ability to do just about everything. Behind Raw Lewis, I'd venture that he's the most recognized defender of the last 10 years for his leadership and playoff performances.

Dawkins was a pretty awesome player, but maybe his versatility hurt him. He wasn't like Polamalu, who's just awesome within 10 yards of the LOS, nor was he was he like Reed, who made plays on the ball at a higher rate than basically any defensive back since Rod Woodson. He was somewhere in between, which puts him in a somewhat nebulous area.

Comment

I would argue he should be a first ballot HOFer. I think the safety position has changed in this last generation and with the evolution of the passing game safety has become even more important.

Just have a look at the top defensive teams of the past decade and you will find Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New England are just about the top 4. Not some shock that the names Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins and Harrison go hand in hand with that.

Cardinals defense has been pretty damn good the last few years, around the same time that Wilson became a star. With Sanders the Colts are a good defense, without they are woeful. Patriots current unit seems to ebb and flow with Merriweather. The Titans seem to ebb and flow with Griffin. With Sharper the Saints are a turnover machine, without him they are a walkover.

Safeties have become pivotal and I think that should be reflected by the HOF. Just as people will list that only x WR have gotten in they do it with safeties, the game has changed though, there are probably only 3 or 4 RBs in the league and the last few years who have put together or look like possibly putting together HOF careers, ditto for LBs. You could argue that right now that Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware are the only two LBs in the entire league under 30 that are likely HOF guys(I'm probably forgetting someone) but the league has changed in the last 10 years and I think the HOF should reflect that.

For mine Dawkins, Reed and Harrison should already be 1st ballot HOF players and Polamalu is 2nd ballot on the doorstep of 1st. I guess the question should extend if guys like Sharper or Lynch also have a case. Sharper was a great ball hawk who has really elevated his career the last two years after being below average in Minnesota, what is going for him is that even when he was playing very poorly in Minnesota he was putting up stats which when looked back on will look good.

Going to be very interesting, the HOF and the NFL in general have shown to be very resistant to change and adapting to it so will be interesting to see how delayed their reaction to the changing game is and I think WR and S will be the two positions that will reflect the change when/if it happens.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                    I would argue he should be a first ballot HOFer. I think the safety position has changed in this last generation and with the evolution of the passing game safety has become even more important.

Just have a look at the top defensive teams of the past decade and you will find Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New England are just about the top 4. Not some shock that the names Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins and Harrison go hand in hand with that.

Cardinals defense has been pretty damn good the last few years, around the same time that Wilson became a star. With Sanders the Colts are a good defense, without they are woeful. Patriots current unit seems to ebb and flow with Merriweather. The Titans seem to ebb and flow with Griffin. With Sharper the Saints are a turnover machine, without him they are a walkover.

Safeties have become pivotal and I think that should be reflected by the HOF. Just as people will list that only x WR have gotten in they do it with safeties, the game has changed though, there are probably only 3 or 4 RBs in the league and the last few years who have put together or look like possibly putting together HOF careers, ditto for LBs. You could argue that right now that Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware are the only two LBs in the entire league under 30 that are likely HOF guys(I'm probably forgetting someone) but the league has changed in the last 10 years and I think the HOF should reflect that.

For mine Dawkins, Reed and Harrison should already be 1st ballot HOF players and Polamalu is 2nd ballot on the doorstep of 1st. I guess the question should extend if guys like Sharper or Lynch also have a case. Sharper was a great ball hawk who has really elevated his career the last two years after being below average in Minnesota, what is going for him is that even when he was playing very poorly in Minnesota he was putting up stats which when looked back on will look good.

Going to be very interesting, the HOF and the NFL in general have shown to be very resistant to change and adapting to it so will be interesting to see how delayed their reaction to the changing game is and I think WR and S will be the two positions that will reflect the change when/if it happens.
                    I pretty much co-sign this whole post.

As an aside, I've always said the biggest difference between the colts and the bears that year was that Bob Sanders played and Mike Brown didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
                      4 Safeties 6 LBs and 1 CB in the 20/20 club.

Adrian Wilson joined in 2009 and Lawyer Milloy joined earlier this year.

Wilson was actually the fastest safety to join the club. He joined in his 9th season as a pro, Harrison in his 10th, Dawkins in his 13th and Milloy in his 15th.

Also, Dawkins is the only safety in the 20/20/20 club (the last 20 being fumbles forced.)
                      That is probably what bsaza was thinking of when he had the 20/20 post. I remember seeing that two years ago too.
                      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

The passion and leadership I saw from him in Philly was the closest thing I have seen to Ray Ray. Aside from all that, he was a great player too. I would put him in my top 5 safeties of all time, I am only 18 so sure there could of been others that I missed, but the only thing he wasn't REALLY good at was man to man coverage he was great in everything else.
                        Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                        Coples is that dude.
                        Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information