No announcement yet.

Instant Replay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im a firm believer in instant replay. I much rather have them review a call then complain the next day about a stupid call that wasn't even reviewed.

My change would be this: The person who reviews the play should be upstairs, not the head ref.

The head ref is biased, he's going to naturally favor the ruling on the field bc its a call that his fellow ref made, and they'd prefer to believe that their colleague made the right call.

Whether that's the case or not, there's an instinctual bias by the head ref to lean towards his guys. You can eliminate that by having a guy upstairs review the play, he'll be independent of the team on the field and has no vesting interest one way or the other.

Plus, if the head ref was the one who made the call, and now he has to challenge it, he's obviously biased towards his own call. Again, you can eliminate this bias by having someone upstairs review the play.

Comment

Use college system.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
        I think its OK the way it is now, but I really like like idea of being able to challenge until you get two wrong. The only problem is how to go about the timeouts. If you are right, no timeout charged, and whenever you're wrong, that's when the timeout is charged? I think that'd be the best option... If this system were to be adapted.

Thats already how the timeouts work.
        "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Im a firm believer in instant replay. I much rather have them review a call then complain the next day about a stupid call that wasn't even reviewed.

My change would be this: The person who reviews the play should be upstairs, not the head ref.

The head ref is biased, he's going to naturally favor the ruling on the field bc its a call that his fellow ref made, and they'd prefer to believe that their colleague made the right call.

Whether that's the case or not, there's an instinctual bias by the head ref to lean towards his guys. You can eliminate that by having a guy upstairs review the play, he'll be independent of the team on the field and has no vesting interest one way or the other.

Plus, if the head ref was the one who made the call, and now he has to challenge it, he's obviously biased towards his own call. Again, you can eliminate this bias by having someone upstairs review the play.
          Maybe if they handled it like hockey? In hockey, the ref skates over to the boards and gets on the phone with someone in the league office. The ref never even sees the replay AFAIK. If it was all handled by the same person, there could at least be more consistency.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
          Originally posted by njx9
          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
            Maybe if they handled it like hockey? In hockey, the ref skates over to the boards and gets on the phone with someone in the league office. The ref never even sees the replay AFAIK. If it was all handled by the same person, there could at least be more consistency.
            Yeah, I think that would eliminate bias, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
              Whenever a play gets challenged I watch the replay once or twice and go do something else until they finally figure it out. I don't care what the call is, just make a call. It's all overly dramatic and drawn out to get more commercials in. A complete joke. There is always going to be a massive human element and an uneven playing field so long as holding and pass interference exist. Anyone who things instant replay makes the game fair is kidding themselves or delusional. It's contribution to a fair game is very minimal relative to everything else the refs do to make it unfair.
              Well, at least I know I'm not alone here.

Like Vic said, only plays involving touchdowns can be reviewed. Seems like the majority of challenges ends up either with an "inconclusive evidence" ruling or the wrong call gets made anyways, so why the **** even bother reviewing them?

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information