Bengals and Carson Palmer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    Carson Palmer is one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL right now. It's a shame but it is what it is.

He's terrible. If you replaced him with Jordan Palmer, would you even notice?

Seriously. Think about it.
    I dunno, he's a shell of his former self but I'd still rather have him then say...Jason Campbell. Or Jake Delhomme/Colt McCoy/Seneca Wallace. Definitely over Alex/Troy Smith. Matt Moore/Jimmy Clausen as well. He still has a halfway decent TD/INT ratio and isn't really holding that team back a significant amount. Their defense's inability to rush the passer and their inability to establish any sort of run game are hurting the Bengals just as much as Palmer is.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
      If i was them i would try to trade him before the rest of the league realizes how much injuries has derailed his career and he still has some trade value.

He just hasn't been the same since the knee and elbow injuries
      Except his knee has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        I dunno, he's a shell of his former self but I'd still rather have him then say...Jason Campbell. Or Jake Delhomme/Colt McCoy/Seneca Wallace. Definitely over Alex/Troy Smith. Matt Moore/Jimmy Clausen as well. He still has a halfway decent TD/INT ratio and isn't really holding that team back a significant amount. Their defense's inability to rush the passer and their inability to establish any sort of run game are hurting the Bengals just as much as Palmer is.
        His numbers are deceiving. Quite frankly, the way Colt McCoy is playing, you can make an argument of him over Palmer.

Palmer's arm is shot. It's unfortunate but that's the reality of the situation. He's done in Cinncy if they know what's good for themselves.

Comment

question about palmer for those who see him more often:

Did anyone else notice his body language last night? He looks like hes ready to retire, like he hates playing at this point like hes depressed or something. TO got on his case and so did ocho and he just took and said very little. Even if hes wrong, id rather he show even just a little emotion like hes dissappointed or some reliance like Eli does, but the dude seems like hes checked out.

Has it been like that all year? longer than that? whats up with this guy?
          Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
          Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Throughout the game he looked like he was sore in his arm/shoulder. Everything points to a toasted arm, whether it's elbow / shoulder or something undisclosed. Either way, I think the Bengals need to get a young QB in next year and give that QB the same treatment they gave Carson. Palmer in 2011 . . . we can refer to him as Carson Kitna. Circle of life, kumbaya ****, right there.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Homer View Post
              Is Palmer going to be back with the Bengals next season?

I don't know his contract situation and if he can be cut before next season, but I wondering if Bengals fan want him back next season and if y'all think Palmer will be gone.

Thoughts?
              He is in his 5th year of a 9 year contract. One of the highest paid players in the NFL and No he will not be gone next season becasue Mike Brown wont get rid of Palmer because he would owe Palmer too much money. Basically stuck with Palmer till his contract runs out.

Also i will Add to this Thread that Mike Brown has offical become the worst Owner all time in Football. Yesterday was his 200th Lost and became the fastest Owner to 200 loses in history of football.

His record stands as a Owner 105-200-1
              Last edited by Pat Sims 90; 11-09-2010, 02:28 PM.

RIP themaninblack

Comment

I'm thinking Cameron Newton to the Bengals makes a lot of sense

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
                  Carson Palmer to the Cards would be niiice. He's still top 10 in the league in Total Yards, ypg, and Touchdowns.
                  Oh well hell he must be good if he's top 10 in those columns, statszzz FTW!!1!1!one!1!! I'm sure he doesn't have anything to do with the Bengals repeatedly getting blown out before halftime, the Bengals going hurry up with 4 wide, and the defense playing prevent the entire way out.

Originally posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
                  He is in his 5th year of a 9 year contract. One of the highest paid players in the NFL and No he will not be gone next season becasue Mike Brown wont get rid of Palmer because he would owe Palmer too much money. Basically stuck with Palmer till his contract runs out.

Uhhh no. Sorry but Carson won't be a starting QB for Cincy for 3 more seasons, I could care less if he was in year 2 of a 14 year contract, all you need to do is watch him play to know he isn't gonna be starting, for ANY team that much longer. He may not be gone in 2011, but if you think he is obligated to finishing out that contract I think your fooling yourself.

Carson has been on a downward slope for years and years now, unfortunately he still seems to be getting worse the more he plays.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Perspective from an outsider who has happened to catch a good amount of Bengals games this year:

I honestly think that for the most part, Carson Palmer has player a lot better this season than people are giving him credit for considering the circumstances. For one, his ostensible #1 receiver Chad Ochocinco has been a joke this year. He's dropped myriad passes (a couple resulting in interceptions), he's run the wrong route on multiple occasions (a few of which have resulted in interceptions), and he's checked out mentally in games resulting in offensive PI penalties, a few false starts and other truly boneheaded plays. He's honestly been one of the most unreliable big-name targets that any qb has had to deal with this season.

The Bengals have a HORRENDOUS pass blocking offensive line, something that is unacceptable when you have a pure pocket passer that likes to throw the ball down the field. Their left tackle is solid, but the interior of their offensive line is horse dung, and they have been getting sub par play out of their RT all season (Andre Smith is finally looking half way decent which is a plus, but the other guy who plays in that spot at times is atrocious.)

Their offensive coordinator rates in the bootom third in terms of situational play calling and overall game planning. I'm not a big fan of the team, but I can literally call out that ******** shovel pass that they run at leasdt once a game. I swear I almost know their audible system, and what plays they typically run out of certain formations. Very unimaginative and easy to decipher (and this is from someone that only casuall follows the Bengals. Imagine what a DC can do with a week to prepare for that offense.)

Finally, that team is abysmally undisciplined offensively. False starts, too many men in the huddle penalties, wrong routes, holding penalties, blown assignments along the oline in pass protection, dropped passes, a complete lack of composure at times from their skill position talent and more.

Really, that situation is a MESS, and through it all Carson has stood in the pocket and played fairly well in the games that I've seen (Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tampa (although I turned that game off when the Bengals had a 7 point lead with like a minute and a half remaining, and apparently it all went to **** after that.) He makes the odd throw now and again (last night into triple coverage for instance), and his accuracy isn't elite like it once was, but I still think that you can win with him as your qb in this league.

Last thing, people keep saying that his arm is shot, but it didn't look that way to me last night or against Atlanta or against Cleveland. He's throwing the **** out of the deep outs and deep comebacks, and that's pretty much how you judge a qbs arm strength in this league. Honestly, last night he threw about 7 mid to deep outs/comebacks on the money.

Comment

Originally posted by alexthegr8 View Post
                      Perspective from an outsider who has happened to catch a good amount of Bengals games this year:

I honestly think that for the most part, Carson Palmer has player a lot better this season than people are giving him credit for considering the circumstances. For one, his ostensible #1 receiver Chad Ochocinco has been a joke this year. He's dropped myriad passes (a couple resulting in interceptions), he's run the wrong route on multiple occasions (a few of which have resulted in interceptions), and he's checked out mentally in games resulting in offensive PI penalties, a few false starts and other truly boneheaded plays. He's honestly been one of the most unreliable big-name targets that any qb has had to deal with this season.

The Bengals have a HORRENDOUS pass blocking offensive line, something that is unacceptable when you have a pure pocket passer that likes to throw the ball down the field. Their left tackle is solid, but the interior of their offensive line is horse dung, and they have been getting sub par play out of their RT all season (Andre Smith is finally looking half way decent which is a plus, but the other guy who plays in that spot at times is atrocious.)

Their offensive coordinator rates in the bootom third in terms of situational play calling and overall game planning. I'm not a big fan of the team, but I can literally call out that ******** shovel pass that they run at leasdt once a game. I swear I almost know their audible system, and what plays they typically run out of certain formations. Very unimaginative and easy to decipher (and this is from someone that only casuall follows the Bengals. Imagine what a DC can do with a week to prepare for that offense.)

Finally, that team is abysmally undisciplined offensively. False starts, too many men in the huddle penalties, wrong routes, holding penalties, blown assignments along the oline in pass protection, dropped passes, a complete lack of composure at times from their skill position talent and more.

Really, that situation is a MESS, and through it all Carson has stood in the pocket and played fairly well in the games that I've seen (Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tampa (although I turned that game off when the Bengals had a 7 point lead with like a minute and a half remaining, and apparently it all went to **** after that.) He makes the odd throw now and again (last night into triple coverage for instance), and his accuracy isn't elite like it once was, but I still think that you can win with him as your qb in this league.

Last thing, people keep saying that his arm is shot, but it didn't look that way to me last night or against Atlanta or against Cleveland. He's throwing the **** out of the deep outs and deep comebacks, and that's pretty much how you judge a qbs arm strength in this league. Honestly, last night he threw about 7 mid to deep outs/comebacks on the money.
                      So, so, so, so many teams have that problem this year, Dallas and Minnesota being the most notable.

Apparently every coach in the NFL this year forgot that running the ball is the best way to slow down the pass rush.

Running the ball isn't something that you can just turn on and off. It's not something that you can just abandon because your first five carries only netted ten yards. It's a mindset, and you have to stay committed to it, even when it's not working. So that in the second half those two yard runs turn into seven or eight yard runs.

Comment

He will not be gone. He will be the Bengals starting QB next season. Deal with it.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                          So, so, so, so many teams have that problem this year, Dallas and Minnesota being the most notable.

Apparently every coach in the NFL this year forgot that running the ball is the best way to slow down the pass rush.

Running the ball isn't something that you can just turn on and off. It's not something that you can just abandon because your first five carries only netted ten yards. It's a mindset, and you have to stay committed to it, even when it's not working. So that in the second half those two yard runs turn into seven or eight yard runs.
                          A truer statement has never been written. Just ask Matt Cassel and the terrible offensive line we had from last year. Everyone wanted the Chiefs to replace Albert at LT or draft Bulaga to play RT or whatever the scenarios suggested. Run the effing ball and the whole line and the QB look much better this season. Where the hell has Cedric Benson disappeared to? Carson isn't the same QB that took this team to the playoffs and tore up his knee against Pittsburgh, but he is sure capable of winning games. Just look at last year. They were undefeated in one of the toughest divisions in football.

Comment

Originally posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
                            A truer statement has never been written. Just ask Matt Cassel and the terrible offensive line we had from last year. Everyone wanted the Chiefs to replace Albert at LT or draft Bulaga to play RT or whatever the scenarios suggested. Run the effing ball and the whole line and the QB look much better this season. Where the hell has Cedric Benson disappeared to? Carson isn't the same QB that took this team to the playoffs and tore up his knee against Pittsburgh, but he is sure capable of winning games. Just look at last year. They were undefeated in one of the toughest divisions in football.
                            Classic case of a team going from "winning ugly" to "losing pretty."

Comment

Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
                              question about palmer for those who see him more often:

Did anyone else notice his body language last night? He looks like hes ready to retire, like he hates playing at this point like hes depressed or something. TO got on his case and so did ocho and he just took and said very little. Even if hes wrong, id rather he show even just a little emotion like hes dissappointed or some reliance like Eli does, but the dude seems like hes checked out.

Has it been like that all year? longer than that? whats up with this guy?

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post

very true, that and quick passes and screens. Make them think and dont let them get comfortbable.

Or just throw non stop and blame the line for the coaches stupidity.
                              Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                              Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey619 View Post

very true, that and quick passes and screens. Make them think and dont let them get comfortbable.

Or just throw non stop and blame the line for the coaches stupidity.
                                The two biggest issues in the NFL this year (bad offensive lines and WRs being concussed from QBs hanging them out to dry) could be fixed overnight if everyone stopped trying to play basketball on grass.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information