Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Rob Ryan deserve to be on the Head Coaching radar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    Eric Mangini is an awesome coach.
    One week everyone loves him the next week everyone hates him.

He does have a ton of players that don't really have that much talent playing extremely well together.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
      One week everyone loves him the next week everyone hates him.

He does have a ton of players that don't really have that much talent playing extremely well together.
      I've been defending him since we hired him. The guy is crazy intelligent.

Belichick may have been right in that he was not ready when he went to the Jets and I still think he did a lot of good things there, but he is definitely ready now.

The Browns have so many under talented, over achievers on this team, it's disgusting. Most people can't name more than maybe one guy in our front 7.

Comment

The Browns have so many under talented, over achievers on this team, it's disgusting. Most people can't name more than maybe one guy in our front 7.
        No looking up.....Shaun Rogers, Ayhtba Rubin, Scott Fujita, D'Quell Jackson.....umm....this is challenging. There's that other USC linebacker from a year ago not picked in the first two rounds who's name escapes me...

Too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          No looking up.....Shaun Rogers, Ayhtba Rubin, Scott Fujita, D'Quell Jackson.....umm....this is challenging. There's that other USC linebacker from a year ago not picked in the first two rounds who's name escapes me...

Too hard.
          D'Qwell Jackson is on IR and hasn't played basically at all this year and his career with the Browns is probably over.

Rubin is a beast.

You're thinking of Kaluka Maiava, who has been the boar killing waste of space I thought he'd be in the 3-4. Nice special teams guy, but that's about it.

Fujita is technically a backup to Matt Roth, who is pretty good.

Marcus Benard is a guy to keep an eye on... undrafted free agent from Jackson State a year ago, had 5.5 sacks last year, has 4.5 this year, and will likely never be a franchise type pass rusher, but he's definitely a guy who can get after the QB.

Chris Gocong is an inside linebacker and is pretty mediocre, though he played well against the Patriots. Eric Barton sucks, but is still clinging on to a roster spot as is Coach in a jersey David Bowens.

Kenyon Coleman is decent. Robaire Smith is out for the year, and Brian Schaefering and Jason Trusnik are the definition of under talented/try hard guys.

We run a lot of the UFO defense because we are plain out of defensive linemen

Comment

I looked it up before you posted. Gocong and Roth are the only other two I think I should have got. It's pretty impressive to win with nothing like that....but you can only go so far with overachievers. Gotta infuse some talent this offseason.

Comment

The only guy in that front seven that a lot of other teams might really wish they had instead of the Browns is Ahtyba Rubin, maybe Matt Roth. Mangini + Ryan are doing great things with this group on defense. Smart, big, strong, tough players who fit the system and are solid, proven veterans. Scott Fujita is having a great year too at OLB.

EDIT: forgot about Shaun Rogers, but he seems to be an afterthought this year. Rotational DLineman who isn't making as many plays as he did his first two years in Cleveland. Still a good player, but more of a role filler this year than the playmaker he used to be for us.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                I looked it up before you posted. Gocong and Roth are the only other two I think I should have got. It's pretty impressive to win with nothing like that....but you can only go so far with overachievers. Gotta infuse some talent this offseason.
                Preaching to the choir on that one... I would have no problem spending 6 picks on our front 7.

And with Colt McCoy's success, assuming it continues, gives us a lot of flexibility in round 1 to help on that front as well. Cameron Heyward could be our Aaron Smith.

Comment

Preaching to the choir on that one... I would have no problem spending 6 picks on our front 7.

And with Colt McCoy's success, assuming it continues, gives us a lot of flexibility in round 1 to help on that front as well. Cameron Heyward could be our Aaron Smith.
                  I'm a huge OSU guy, and I love Cam, but I haven't been overwhelmed by his performance this season. If the Browns have a top 12 pick, I would go with one of the other 5 technique guys.

WRT Ryan, I'm sure some team will take a gamble on him sooner rather than later. I agree with you wonder that Mangini and Ryan balance out well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                    I'm a huge OSU guy, and I love Cam, but I haven't been overwhelmed by his performance this season. If the Browns have a top 12 pick, I would go with one of the other 5 technique guys.

WRT Ryan, I'm sure some team will take a gamble on him sooner rather than later. I agree with you wonder that Mangini and Ryan balance out well.
                    I don't understand why people are dissapointed with Heyward. Is it because he hasn't been a dominating pass rusher? Ok. We don't need him to be. He's a prototyical 5 technique. Just continue stopping the run and make the occasional play on the QB.

To me, he's far better than Tyson Jackson and that guy went 3rd. Heyward has made a ton of impact plays for the Buckeyes in the past 2 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                      I'm a huge OSU guy, and I love Cam, but I haven't been overwhelmed by his performance this season.
                      I'm, uh, not a huge OSU guy, but I was a huge fan of Heyward's before the season started. Unfortunately for him, he just hasn't wowed at all this year. I'm sure that he's now going to get six sacks and 15 TFL against Michigan, but he's been pretty average this season.

Wait a second...this can't be right. Just 1.5 sacks and 6.5 TFL? Duuuuuuuuuuddddddddeeeeeeeee..... Buckeye fans, what's going on with him?

Yes to the thread question.

Comment

You're thinking of Kaluka Maiava, who has been the boar killing waste of space I thought he'd be in the 3-4. Nice special teams guy, but that's about it.
                        He's been on IR pretty much the whole year, and last year he was a rookie.

Fujita is technically a backup to Matt Roth, who is pretty good.
                        Actually, Roth and Fujita are the starting OLB's. Both are good against the run, but neither is a very good pass rusher.

Marcus Benard is a guy to keep an eye on... undrafted free agent from Jackson State a year ago, had 5.5 sacks last year, has 4.5 this year, and will likely never be a franchise type pass rusher, but he's definitely a guy who can get after the QB.
                        Only problem with Benard is that he's so one dimensional. He's probably never going to be anything more than a situational player.

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
                        <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
                        <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
                        <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

Yea, I know Maiava has been on IR, but he's been nothing more than a coverage linebacker so far. And he's done nothing to suggest we should not take 1 if not 2 inside linebackers in this draft.

I think you're selling Benard very, very short. He has been using an inside move to keep guys off balance and been setting up guys. I really like his future. Like I said, probably never gonna be a #1, but would be a nice #2.

You're right about Fujita. Brain fart on my part. I like what Roth does on running downs, but if we had a #1 pass rusher, that's where Benard would come in, but I do like that Roth has a pretty powerful bull rush and he is incredibly confident.

Comment

I don't understand why people are dissapointed with Heyward. Is it because he hasn't been a dominating pass rusher? Ok. We don't need him to be. He's a prototyical 5 technique. Just continue stopping the run and make the occasional play on the QB.

To me, he's far better than Tyson Jackson and that guy went 3rd. Heyward has made a ton of impact plays for the Buckeyes in the past 2 seasons.
                            He got destroyed by the UW line. Absolutely manhandled (along with the rest of the d-line). He's only had a few really dominant games in his career (PSU last season stands out). I can't think of many impact plays from this season.

Look at the stat's Sniper quoted. 1.5 sacks and 6.5 TFL. The TFL number is particularly concerning. He's getting double teamed a decent bit, but not an excessive amount.

It's become apparent that he really benefited from a much better complimentary d-line last season. I worry about how he would perform as "the man" on the line.

Comment

He destroyed Oregon and was the key to the defensive strategy in shutting them down.

He destroyed Michigan last year. He scored the 1st TD. I'm sure Forcier remembers.

Miami this year.

I wish he had more TFLs I suppose, but I don't care about the sacks too much. I've seen he can get pressure, but we want him to absorb blockers and stop the run, which he is very good at.

Comment

He destroyed Oregon and was the key to the defensive strategy in shutting them down.

He destroyed Michigan last year. He scored the 1st TD. I'm sure Forcier remembers.
                                Last year, last year, last year. Feel free to join us in 2010. Also, destroying Mark Ortmann isn't much of an accomplishment.

Miami this year.
                                He had a tackle for loss and a big INT that a six-year-old could have caught.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information