Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Rob Ryan deserve to be on the Head Coaching radar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
    He had a tackle for loss and a big INT that a six-year-old could have caught.
    So it doesn't count?

He made a great play and a great run after the catch which set up a score.

I think he was a major dissapointment against Wisconsin as well, but beyond that, he's still a great player.

He's not a big stats guy that will will play a position that does not get much in terms of stats in the NFL either.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
      So it doesn't count?

He made a great play and a great run after the catch which set up a score.

I think he was a major dissapointment against Wisconsin as well, but beyond that, he's still a great player.

He's not a big stats guy that will will play a position that does not get much in terms of stats in the NFL either.
      I'm with you on the stats, but he's only doing good as a space eater against the weak sauce O-Lines. UW is what he'd be facing every week in the NFL. I'm just not sold on him being a stud at the next level.

Comment

He does have a ton of players that don't really have that much talent playing extremely well together.
        That is pretty much what he did with the Jets as well. Mangini strikes me as a guy who gets the most out of a little but struggles with a lot so to speak. Looking at the Browns he chased out all their most "talented" players and has had a bit of beef with Rogers from memory who is one of about 3 big names left and the other two are Joe Thomas and Alex Mack, who honestly seem like you couldn't get in a fight with them if you tried types.

Same deal with the Jets, when he had nothing they did better than expected and when they had something they fell to pieces. Almost like Larry Brown in the NBA for mine. Give him a bunch of role players and he will do better than expected, give him stars and he will flop. Mangini still has time to learn how to work with the egos that come with stars though so not dead yet!

As for the OSU thing that seems to sneak into every Browns thread on here.. Heyward for me is almost a reverse Gholston for them. Stats don't scream out, hasn't had many, if any, wow performances but just does his job. I think he translates well to the NFL with the right team and role. Not sold at all that the Browns are that team/role but I think they could do far worse.

Browns are going to have a relatively easy draft given that unless they draft a LT or a C you can pretty much justify any other selection. If they use it on defense then you can pretty much draw out of a hat. Always nice to have plenty of needs as you don't get a conflicted opinion on Need vs BPA, you can deal with both!

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I think the problem with guys like Mangini and McDaniels is that they are so set in "their way" of doing things, talented veterans that aren't used to it and don't respond positively get into the dog house. I think if you get a couple of talented players that are brought into the league and developed by Mangini that can be leaders in the locker room as well, his teams would be pretty legit. Unfortunately he was given a team of old talented veterans his last year in New York and it didn't work for him. I think he'll be fine if given time to instill the right mentality in his team.

Comment

We need a wide receiver if we don't get a #1 receiver im gonna be pissed.

Comment

I think the problem with guys like Mangini and McDaniels is that they are so set in "their way" of doing things, talented veterans that aren't used to it and don't respond positively get into the dog house. I think if you get a couple of talented players that are brought into the league and developed by Mangini that can be leaders in the locker room as well, his teams would be pretty legit. Unfortunately he was given a team of old talented veterans his last year in New York and it didn't work for him. I think he'll be fine if given time to instill the right mentality in his team.
              Certainly is the flipside of what I said and another possible "solution". It may just be that he conflicted both times with the guys he had. I think he is one of the better coaches in the league from a gameday sense so it's just a matter of not losing the team or anything like that, from what I've seen most of his calls are pretty good. I may just be used to god awful thanks to Childress and all but Mangini seems solid.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I haven't really watched Cleveland play much, but it seems they're doing pretty well lately.

Based on his time with the Raiders, i'd say hell no he doesn't deserve to be a head coaching candidate.

edit// As a matter of fact, i think i'd actually be angry if he got a head coaching job. Can't stand him or his brother.

RIP ST

Comment

Rob Ryan simply wasn't a good fit for Oakland. He's a guy who likes to run multiple fronts, blitz from a lot of positions, and run varied coverages. He was basically forbidden from doing that in Oakland. And even with all that, he did coach that 2006 Oakland defense where Burgess got 16 sacks, Sapp got 10 sacks, Nnamdi got 8 interceptions, and they gave up the 3rd least yards in the NFL.

I'm not a fan of everything Rob Ryan did in Oakland, but it's unfair to judge him completely because he didn't have freedom as a coordinator there.

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                    Same deal with the Jets, when he had nothing they did better than expected and when they had something they fell to pieces. Almost like Larry Brown in the NBA for mine. Give him a bunch of role players and he will do better than expected, give him stars and he will flop. Mangini still has time to learn how to work with the egos that come with stars though so not dead yet!
                    They fell to pieces when Favre started to play like crap. Kinda like the Vikings.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                      Rob Ryan simply wasn't a good fit for Oakland. He's a guy who likes to run multiple fronts, blitz from a lot of positions, and run varied coverages. He was basically forbidden from doing that in Oakland. And even with all that, he did coach that 2006 Oakland defense where Burgess got 16 sacks, Sapp got 10 sacks, Nnamdi got 8 interceptions, and they gave up the 3rd least yards in the NFL.

I'm not a fan of everything Rob Ryan did in Oakland, but it's unfair to judge him completely because he didn't have freedom as a coordinator there.
                      Truth.

And, for whatever reason, Al really liked the guy. Would have gotten the HC job in Oakland if he had been an offensive coordinator. The players definitely seemed to love him in spite of the horrendous defenses he coached under Al's tutelage.
                      My sig pic has now come full circle. Lucky me.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.

Comment

Speaking of Rob Ryan: This is so ******* funny!
                        http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ke-his-brother

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                        I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

He needz stay in Cleveland kthxbye

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            .... while their offense put up like 33 passing yds in a game, the whole game. That was a really lopsided Oakland team in those days.

Rob Ryan is getting the kind of rep that most up & coming HC wannabees would kill for: he has the track record of turning losers into winners, & every yr there's no shortage of losers in the NFL with soon to be vacated HC slots. And he's worked for a manipulative owner & been successful too, that doesnt hurt.

Yes to the thread question. He might have his pick of jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post
                              Truth.

And, for whatever reason, Al really liked the guy. Would have gotten the HC job in Oakland if he had been an offensive coordinator. The players definitely seemed to love him in spite of the horrendous defenses he coached under Al's tutelage.
                              Part of the reason for that was largely the fact that Rob would go to bat for them in the media at the slightest provocation. Every single player on that Raider defense either was or was capable of being the best in the NFL according to Rob (I learned once Rex had the Jets job that this trait runs in the family).

Rob's times in Oakland weren't always good, but's a fiery guy with a good strategic grounding. Like with Rex, I sometimes wonder if he's great at making the tough decision because he becomes so attached to his squad, but the guy is capable of being a great player's coach.

I like the guy, but ultimately I'm glad he didn't take over in Oakland. The last thing that team needed (or need today) is to have its ego stroked.

Comment

i thought he should have gotten the Raiders job when Kiffin was hired. Or when he was fired. Cable has turned out well for them but I still think Ryan was the better choice.

He'd definitely be on my short list if I was looking for a new coach.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information